The Daily for Wednesday 01/19/2022

richwmn

Today is National Popcorn Day, National Tin Can Day, and Good Memory Day

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.--Mahatma Gandhi

Meal Suggestion for today - white pesto pasta
Drink of the Day - Bloody Maria
Wine of the Day - Oak Ridge 2019 Ancient Vine Estate Grown Zinfandel
Destination of the Day - Georgetown, Grand Cayman

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam  

Destination Honolulu HI eta 1/23

Basseterre, Port Zante, St Kitts Island

Nieuw Statendam  

09:00 - 18:00

Cartagena Colombia

Zuiderdam  

07:00 - 13:00

Half Moon Cay BS

Eurodam  

Kralendijk, Bonaire

Rotterdam  

15:00 - 22:00

Ships Without Passengers

Corfu GR

Volendam  

Zaandam  

Limassol CY

Oosterdam  

Anchorage

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam  

Anchorage

Miami FL US

Nieuw Amsterdam  

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US

Noordam  

Anchorage

0119Caribbean.thumb.png.1176cb403506e00f6c5eea7157e5bd0d.png

0119NAmericaW1.thumb.png.c144914b83d2157e75d39e40d2ca6646.png

0119Europe.thumb.png.ac0283e4bf10adcd2f5e166fa852f5bc.png

• Like 34
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Happy Hump Day.

Love popcorn.  My pantry is well stocked with items in tin cans.  I sometimes wish I had a good memory but sometimes it's good to forget.

The dinner sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'll pass on the drink and wine.

Another port I have not visited.  We got more snow overnight, so pictures of a sunny port will be most welcome.

Prayers for everyone. 

Stay safe.

• Like 31

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  I love popcorn, use quite a few tin cans and my memory is pretty decent except for names and faces.  I love the Ghandi quote.  The pasta sounds nice but not tonight.  Grand Cayman is a nice little town.  Can't figure out a reason for Nieuw Amsterdam to visit Miami but she sure seems headed there.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, dealing with more than should be on anyone’s shoulders
Saint John Hospital Covid Situation
Miko over Rainbow Bridge

Welfare of furloughed crews
Mamaofami, Sam and the search for a new aide
Tana in hospital with poor prognosis
MissG’s dad with pneumonia
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice and stressful return to Louisiana with possible covid exposure
Cruzin Terri DH MOSE surgery 1/20
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise.
Recovery for StLouisCruisers Niece DH after throat cancer surgery
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOSE 2/21
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers        
Carnival Group  hospital ships Nieuw Amsterdam, Crown Princess, and Queen Victoria
summer slope , sassy~one and bobpatj , (Rotterdam to1/29), and boytje (Millennium to 1/17) at sea
Cruzin Terri computer problemsolved
Aide rotation for Sam
Marley recovering from infection
Progress for luvteaching DH
cunnorl successful MOSE
Seasick sailor’s angel Claudio
Highland Cruiser with the grandkids
StLouisCruisers DSIL going to be with his sick mother in Florida, AND more optimistic diagnosis
Tana breathing better
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 14

Morning Rich, Roy & Dailyites! A super quick visit today before I head to my dermatologist’s. 🤞🏻 

Continuing the Winter series…

FD34ABB5-C9B9-40E1-8D04-F0D34F3584E1.jpeg.814a7d97aeb4d0cb01766de2d935eb9f.jpeg

B473112A-7BFB-4990-87DD-B217AFEA70BB.jpeg.6ca1cd28d33904fc3fc04152352b6e8f.jpeg

But then there are those that really enjoy Winter…

59FC6079-0CB9-42AD-B100-9327DF0DEE4F.jpeg.74dc782f81c0a971e5b7e242be914e69.jpeg

Praying for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Oak Ridge 2019 Ancient Vine Estate Grown Zinfandel

Today’s wine sounds like one I would like to taste. Easy to find and reasonable. $14.99 at Total Wine. 
Wine Enthusiast 91 points

Smooth, supple and concentrated, this lavishly fruity and jammy wine coats the palate with blackberry syrup, maple and boysenberry flavors. It's velvety and viscous, and might best be appreciated after dinner.  JIM GORDON

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 13

Good afternoon from a sunny 47°F at NE England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for today's lists.

I think most of us has eaten popcorn at the cinema.

Tin cans revolutionised the keeping of food.

Memory day is lovely to look at old photo albums and watch family videos.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Prayers 🙏 to everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

• Like 32

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report and lists.  Love popcorn, tin cans sure do serve a purpose.  Good memory day is important so that we can remember all of our good memories.  I love the quote by Ghandi and while today’s meal suggestion would be too carb laden for me.  I was recently introduced to a Bloody Maria and it’s now my new Bloody Mary, so much smoother.  Haven’t been to today’s port yet.  Prayers for everyone on today’s list, it needs to become shorter for good reasons.  Cheers to you all celebrating happy events!

• Like 32

28 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Maybe to pick up crew from a Carnival ship??

The only other ships in port are NCL.  My best guess is from my Crystal experience that Miami is pretty good about giving out Covid shots so perhaps some of the crew on NA are now eligible for second or booster shots,

Arriving now:

namiami.thumb.JPG.9ab07824dc99b55988f1da1b0bdf563f.JPG

https://www.portmiamiwebcam.com/

Roy

• Like 33

Bloody Maria:

Ingredients
2 ounces tequila
4 ounces tomato juice
1/2 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 tablespoon prepared horseradish, to taste
4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
2 dashes Tabasco sauce
2 dashes Tapatio hot sauce
1 pinch celery salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
Garnish: lime wedge
Garnish: lemon wedge
Garnish: cucumber spear
Garnish: sweet pepper slices
Garnish: jalapeno pepper slices
Garnish: queso fresco
Steps
Add the tequila, tomato juice, lemon juice, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, Tapatio, celery salt and black pepper to a shaker and fill with ice.
Shake briefly and strain into a pint glass filled with fresh ice.
Garnish with a lime wedge, a lemon wedge, a cucumber spear and a skewer of sweet pepper slices, jalapeno slices and queso fresco.

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 7.41.53 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 13

2 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Bloody Maria:

Ingredients
2 ounces tequila
4 ounces tomato juice
1/2 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 tablespoon prepared horseradish, to taste
4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
2 dashes Tabasco sauce
2 dashes Tapatio hot sauce
1 pinch celery salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
Garnish: lime wedge
Garnish: lemon wedge
Garnish: cucumber spear
Garnish: sweet pepper slices
Garnish: jalapeno pepper slices
Garnish: queso fresco
Steps
Add the tequila, tomato juice, lemon juice, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, Tapatio, celery salt and black pepper to a shaker and fill with ice.
Shake briefly and strain into a pint glass filled with fresh ice.
Garnish with a lime wedge, a lemon wedge, a cucumber spear and a skewer of sweet pepper slices, jalapeno slices and queso fresco.

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 7.41.53 AM.png

No thanks.  Can handle hot sauces.

• Like 13

Good morning everyone. It is quite the collection of days and a good quote.I await the recipe to see if the troops will enjoy it.We have not been to the port.

We are waiting  to hear how our Tana fared last night as she was finally moved to a step down unit. Hopefully she will start PT today as well.Thanks to all of you pulling for her she has defied the odds and I think is starting  to do better.

Terry 

• Like 42

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report.  And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Happy Hump Day!

Finally had our street plowed yesterday which meant a third time to clear the snow from the weekend storm. Before doing mine I helped two neighbors do the ends of their driveways where the plows had deposited chunks of ice! Trying to clear the ice is brutal! One neighbor is a young couple that moved in during the Fall. She was trying to do it with a shovel.  That was next to impossible.

Started looking at a new more capable snow blower when I came in. Wishing I still had the one I brought from Chicago but sold it to a neighbor when we left Maryland. The current one I settled on so picked up used during a more normal lighter-snow winter here. In the words of Tim Allen I need: "More power!!!"

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 37

Good morning fellow cruisers!

I love popcorn but not with butter. Just salt, thank you, or something sweet. 
Lots of tin cans in the cupboard since finding fresh anything at the local grocer is challenging these days. 
I like to work on crosswords to help my memory. We used to be in a trivia team when we lived in MI but there are none in our immediate area in TN. I really miss that!

Pasta is delicious and so very versatile. 

I would SO try that drink 🥰 but not so much the wine. 

I will be visiting Georgetown, Grand Cayman on my next cruise!

That is a very good saying. Ghandi was an incredible man. Like MLK, he sought change through peaceful means. 

Prayers for those who need them, and for those who don’t realize they need them… 😉

Gonna rain here today so I guess I’ll work on something indoors. 

• Like 33

I had forgotten how beautiful the sunrise was (except for @rafinmd's pictures) .  When cruising DH and I would always get up to see the sunrise, but then, arghh we got older and slept later.  But this morning I was up at 5 to get DH to the train to the airport.  Driving home, I saw the beautiful hues of sunrise, in pink, orange and red..  Mom always said red sky in the morning, sailors take warning...I see we are supposed to get hit with another wintry mix..  And now, at 8 a.m. I'm exhausted.  Todays goal, besides work, is doing a major load of laundry, something that takes 3 hours in the dryer to dry.,  BULKY!  Gotta get moving!  

• Like 35

Good morning, everyone.

It is supposed to warm up today so perhaps I can dig out my recycle bin and trash can so I can put them out tonight.  Currently I would have to drag them through a chest high snow drift.  Nothing on the agenda today except cleaning bathrooms and vacuuming.  I have two friends coming for lunch tomorrow.  We were originally going to meet at a local restaurant but because our positivity rate is so high here, we decided it would be safer to eat here.  Since I enjoy cooking, it gives me the opportunity to show off my culinary skills.  I'm making the Alsatian dish of Baeckeoffe.  The meat is currently marinating and I will assemble the dish first thing tomorrow morning.  It has to cook for several hours at a low temperature.  

Today's drink sounds like it is right up my alley.   I like spicy!  

Today's meal sounds lovely, but is way too carb heavy for me.  I am happy for those who can tolerate the carbs.  Too many at one time put me right to sleep.  

This is the direct inverse of the normal basil pesto you know and love. It’s built on a combination of toasted nuts, creamy ricotta, and salty Parmesan, with a little kick coming from raw garlic and fresh oregano. You don’t need a food processor, a mortar and pestle, or a blender—in fact, the entire sauce comes together in the same bowl you can use for serving.  https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/white-pesto-pasta

White_pesto_pasta_recipe_BA_112519.thumb.jpg.beaf352d2761de013295991eea399914.jpg

The above uses ricotta cheese to help create the creaminess of the pesto.   The one below does not.  It uses parmesan cheese.   And, don't forget to toast those walnuts!   https://12tomatoes.com/white-walnut-pesto-pasta/

walnut-pesto-1.thumb.jpg.63fe0f4150eaffdcac1322b2e57d318c.jpg

Those are the two variations that I found.  You can substitute another nut for the walnuts.

Prayers for all in need, especially our Dailyites.   Cheers to those who are celebrating.  I'll raise my Bloody Maria!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 12

I received an email from Delta yesterday:

We want to ensure you have peace of mind when booking and rebooking your trips with Delta this year. That’s why we’re giving you even more flexibility as you plan your next trip. Your eCredits will be extended through December 31, 2023, for travel throughout 2024.

• Like 39
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone. A nice collection of days and quote. Another port I haven’t been too.

Yesterday was day 1 with the new female aide and it went well. At night, I kept thinking someone was here. The male aide doesn’t come till Friday somIm reserving judgement till then. 
I have to make a trip to the post office after PT today.

Yesterday, I ordered food from Instacart and they had no orange juice or meat. Not sure if it was because of a shortage or too early in the morning after a 3 day holiday.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the care lists.

Popcorn is great, especially when it is fesh and hot. I like to kick things up a bit on my popcorn. My favorite is to add better, garlic powder, a dash of cayenne pepper and parmisan cheese. YUM!

The pasta meal suggestion looks very nice - I will have to try that one.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 29