The Daily for Wednesday 01/19/2022

richwmn

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

The fish is Haddock.

The pizza is BBQ Burnt Ends 

Graham.

Screenshot_20220119_210139.jpg

YES please send me some pizza.   YUM.   have a good evening as it now is 9pm.

BTW I am a big fan of BBC and have been watching and wondering all the drama with the Royals and the PM and his issues too.   Your country is a lot like USA with all the swirling news.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

An update from me.  I had my regular oncologist appointment today.  We talked strategy and despite the radiation he wants me to continue my hormone therapy for about another 18 months.  This is just a shot every 3 months so it is nothing like the daily radiation treatments.  I am also a bit behind on regular doctor visits with my eye exam tomorrow and 2 more appointments the first week of February.  Busy but not controlling my life.  I am a bit concerned about the eye exam as we expect snow tomorrow but will deal with that if it materializes.

Maryland seems to be on the down swing of the Omicron spike with positivity, and hospitalization both headed in the right direction.  Cases were up today but that's because there was more testing after a testing lull due to the holiday and the weather.

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 7

Good afternoon, time for a quick check-in.  Lots happening since this morning on this board!

@JAM37 I hope the challenges you have to face aren't too harsh.  You were out of power for a long time . . . was it storm related?

@kazu I feel terrible for Jose having fallen and broken his clavicle; he didn't need that added to his medical chart, and you didn't need that added to your stress level either.  I'm so sorry you won't be able to get in to see him for yet another 2 weeks . . . damn Covid!   Great job on the walk and driveway; so glad your neighbour was able to help supply a couple of bags of ice melt to help with the project.  That's a lot of surface to de-ice and make safe!

@richwmn I'm not going to let Sochi see that list, or she'll feel hard done by.  She's not allowed on the furniture, cupboards, tables, etc., and has her own lovely bed and comfort station at night in the furnace room downstairs so we don't get the 5:30AM "Swat Team" showing up.

Have a great night everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

An update from me.  I had my regular oncologist appointment today.  We talked strategy and despite the radiation he wants me to continue my hormone therapy for about another 18 months.  This is just a shot every 3 months so it is nothing like the daily radiation treatments.  I am also a bit behind on regular doctor visits with my eye exam tomorrow and 2 more appointments the first week of February.  Busy but not controlling my life.  I am a bit concerned about the eye exam as we expect snow tomorrow but will deal with that if it materializes.

Maryland seems to be on the down swing of the Omicron spike with positivity, and hospitalization both headed in the right direction.  Cases were up today but that's because there was more testing after a testing lull due to the holiday and the weather.

Roy

Sending you our prayers 🙏 and very best wishes for your continuing hormone treatment and your eye exam tomorrow.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich!

I adore popcorn my periodontist has declared it as forbidden fruit 😔 I mostly use tin cans for Christmas treats I am giving away but I have tons filled with tuna, salmon, etc in my covid “bunker”.  I’m trying to take time to recall good memories these days.

Love that quote by Ghandi ♥️. @summer slopeI really like the sounds of the Bloody Maria if the tomato juice was substituted with Clamato juice 😉 

Late today - working on the dam driveway, talking to doctors, hospital, etc.   I worked on and off all day yesterday & by the end of the day it had a dent in it

F133CDD1-61FA-4A33-AE37-1AB8FF4E10C6.thumb.jpeg.a3762769fc6fd7ce50da01551a62496e.jpeg

E4753975-E996-4F29-AA2D-958519557F97.thumb.jpeg.e9f7d336bcdd5db2960c4a57512d2655.jpeg

I needed to get rid of the ice at the bottom though so I headed out this morning and used the last of my ice melt to make a small way out for Marley and me.  I suspect there is no ice melt to be found anywhere so I put a bit of gravel and had my plow put sand down on the parts I couldn’t get done.  It will just have to do for now.

61C5375B-6752-41A2-8DE3-3876754B9C0F.thumb.jpeg.8f422bedaf5491596419a08415216e24.jpeg

There is already talk of another ‘Nor Easter this weekend.  Seriously?  Give me a break 😡  I think this is the worst January in a very long time.

3E1497BB-6E1E-40B8-9D7E-85D6819857D1.thumb.jpeg.7c0de7bf3cfc36b7dfe7ca3053aeaf49.jpeg

I got a nice surprise yesterday.  A delivery from my BFF whom I haven’t been able to see because lockdown and an abundance of caution for her husband.  I couldn’t capture the flowers well, sadly but they are gorgeous.  She knows I love flowers ♥️ 

AC5A7B19-1977-4E4E-A79E-B3ADC3DB4A4C.thumb.jpeg.0027408e8ea5f360c2ff39f05c8d8bba.jpeg

Jose’s doctor called today.  He had a fall yesterday and she had told me she was sending him for an X-Ray to be on the safe side.  Sadly he has a fractured clavicle.  So I’ve arranged for a special sling (on her recommendation) which is much nicer than what the hospital provides.  The same company did my elbow brace & walking boot so I know it will be good quality 👍 

5B03FF24-4C6F-4DF8-B69A-B230388C530B.jpeg.2c54dafcd406c3e0935d207e368c2d35.jpeg

That is really encouraging news.  Prayers continue for Tana 🙏🏻 

So happy things went well for you, Carol 👍 I hope the new aide works out just as well.  It’s high time something went smooth for you!

Hope the news isn’t too terrible 🙏🏻 

Love that expression!  Sounds like fun 👍 

I never even connected the two.  What a nice thought, Susan ♥️ Miko was a delight - I’m sure Betty would have a blast with him.

How wonderful of you to try to get the cat a furever home ♥️ Hate to think of any animal out in the brutal cold 😢 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!!

CEE02618-0F1A-4C2C-B45B-5FFD9BCF7ACE.thumb.jpeg.d39c68c68a5024d7577bd597c0a8586f.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

Sorry to hear about Jose's fall and his fractured clavicle.

I hope he is not in to much pain.

Prayers 🙏 for you both.

Take care of yourself too.

Graham.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

@XBGuy I can relate to the wine “snobbery” - lol. I don’t care for California wines (sorry!), nor do I like the wines from my former home state of Michigan, except for one winery - Mari Vineyards (they use Italian grapes in some). I MUCH prefer wines from Italy, France, and Spain 🍷

However, I did try a Dreaming Tree Chardonnay on a cruise and it was quite good, so there are exceptions to everything ☺️

Nothing, at all, wrong with having preferences.  Great wines from those countries.  Also, Spanish wines are SO reasonably priced.

We also have a wine-tried-on-a-cruise story.  A few years ago, we sat down for dinner and my wife looked at the wine list for a white,  She settled on Laurens V Singing Gruner Veltliner from Austria.  She loved it.  (It's worth mentioning that she is mostly a Chardonnay drinker who has never had a Chardonnay that could not be improved with more oak.)  Shortly after this cruise I was in the local Costco.  No surprise that I found my way to the wine section.  What do I find?  Laurens V Singing Gruner Veltliner.  So, multiple bottles into the cart.  I did get a nice stash of husband points for that.

• Like 20
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, kazu said:

Jose’s doctor called today.  He had a fall yesterday and she had told me she was sending him for an X-Ray to be on the safe side.  Sadly he has a fractured clavicle.  So I’ve arranged for a special sling (on her recommendation) which is much nicer than what the hospital provides.  The same company did my elbow brace & walking boot so I know it will be good quality 👍 

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks kindly and to everyone else ♥️   The doctor says he is not in severe pain.  He is getting meds but nothing too drastic.  The sling will help a lot.  When it comes to talking  medicine, he is right on the ball.  He’s not confused when it comes to medicine.  Amazing.  Doctor has suggested when I talk to him I work on long term memory and reminisce with him.

Oh my! 😱 I hope the sling works and Jose doesn’t need surgery. 🙏

• Like 14

Good afternoon, all! It’s a good collection of days today. I have popcorn. I have tin cans. And as Meatloaf said, two outta three ain’t bad.

As always, prayers and hugs to @kazu Jacqui, and hopes for better news for Jose and Marley.

We drove our company to Tsawassen this morning to catch the ferry back to the island. So many ferries are being cancelled due to staffing issues, and in a crunch foot passengers can always get on the available sailings even when there’s no more space for vehicles. On the way home we dropped off the car for an oil change and check up. Now we know it’s good to go for our February road trip to Palm Springs. Then we stopped at the Liquidation Center and bought a new carpet for the living room. Their carpet deals are amazing, and today they had what I wanted, so we grabbed it while it was still there.

About half the gingerbread mansion is demolished, and the pieces packed up to go home with our friends. He wife is a good friend I worked with for over 16 years. As she packed up the gingerbread, she looked at me and said “We aren’t even getting divorced, and here I am leaving with half your house.” It made a good laugh.

Happy Wednesday, with thoughts of sunnier days aboard a BHB. ANY BHB!
CF86F11A-A8F8-4CFC-81AC-8C574E10563F.thumb.jpeg.929e21e51214c00014b87b0098d13b98.jpeg

• Like 25

Another port I have been to, 3 times if memory serves me correctly. I dearly love popcorn. When I am very tired and/or stressed my go to dinner meal is Popcorn and a glass of White Zinfandel. I will pass on the meal, never been a big fan of pasta although I will eat it occasionally. The drink of the day sounds to spicy for me.

Continued prayers for Jackie, Jose, Carol and all who need them.

Kakalena's family, their in-laws and their church all combined to get enough supplies for her to actually get into her new house. There are still a few things not going quite right but everything seems to be looking up.

Jane

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

To all our Canadian dailites. Does anyone know when or if the Canadian ports will be open for cruise ships this spring/summer?

I have quite bit of FCC that I need to start planning to use.

Jane

Saw a segment from Cruising with Don, a Canadian and this week he stated negotiations are presently being addressed. Maybe we will hear something in the near future.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Stay safe tomorrow, Roy.  Our forecast just changed from 1-3 inches of snow to 5-8.  We shall see what happens.  Katherine 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

We also have a wine-tried-on-a-cruise story.  A few years ago, we sat down for dinner and my wife looked at the wine list for a white,  She settled on Laurens V Singing Gruner Veltliner from Austria.  She loved it.  (It's worth mentioning that she is mostly a Chardonnay drinker who has never had a Chardonnay that could not be improved with more oak.)  Shortly after this cruise I was in the local Costco.  No surprise that I found my way to the wine section.  What do I find?  Laurens V Singing Gruner Veltliner.  So, multiple bottles into the cart.  I did get a nice stash of husband points for that.

I discovered that wine at a Cellar Master dinner.  Loved it and we had more in the PG another night 😉 👍 

35 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Oh my! 😱 I hope the sling works and Jose doesn’t need surgery. 🙏

The orthopaedic surgeon has confirmed there is no surgery needed thankfully, Marcia.  It’s just keep it immobilized for 4-6 weeks  and let it heal.  Hope he co-operates but he’s very cognizant on all things medical so he should be good 🤞 

18 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

To all our Canadian dailites. Does anyone know when or if the Canadian ports will be open for cruise ships this spring/summer?

Jane

Canada’s cruise ship ban was lifted effective November, 2022.

I’ve heard no announcement  yet of any changes due to Omicron.  After all the season doesn’t start until May and supposedly we are all at the peaks. 🤞 

• Like 15

28 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Jane

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

Canada’s cruise ship ban was lifted effective November, 2022.

Basically, and subject to change, at this point in time the Canadian government has lifted their ban on cruise ships, but the Canadian weather has not.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

At least most of the people were in Quartzsite not Parker, but for a few minutes we weren't sure if we'd even get into Q, much less get out.  There is a big gas station/stop truck at the exit where we have to cross I-10 to get to the highway to Parker.  It is usually busy this time of year, but today it was just about gridlocked. What a mess. 😱

At least the stores weren't very crowded and I got everything  I needed at the grocery store.  The big box store was another matter.  I found very few of what I needed there, most of which I can wait to get.  It was a good day weather wise to be out.

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks kindly and to everyone else ♥️   The doctor says he is not in severe pain.  He is getting meds but nothing too drastic.  The sling will help a lot.  When it comes to talking  medicine, he is right on the ball.  He’s not confused when it comes to medicine.  Amazing.  Doctor has suggested when I talk to him I work on long term memory and reminisce with him.

Yes we didn’t think of that when we bought this house ever so long ago.
The driveway doesn’t get a whole lot of sun in the winter time.

We are the ones living on the other side of the street LOL 😂 

Thanks Ann.  To clarify, Jose is has started to move around under supervision and uses a walker. He was in bed far too long so they wanted to get him moving.   It’s going to be hard to do now with his sling.  

He has a belt restraint on when he can’t be watched to prevent him from wandering.

Dr. London was about to tell me I could start to go in today however there was an announcement of another outbreak so I doubt I will be able to get in for at least another 14 days.  It would have been tough to get in with our roads over the last couple of weeks.  Horrific weather 😔 

Glad the meds are helping with the pain, and that he is good with taking medicine.  Also, glad he doesn't need surgery, just time for nature to do its thing.

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Ugly yes! But a lot more fuel efficient. Designs of the future?

I guess we'll have to get used to ugly ships if it means better fuel efficiency.

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Great days. I like popcorn; tin cans are important for a lot of foods that are used to stock the pantry. I hope I can retain my memory!

Excellent quote by Ghandi.

I'll pass on the meal and drink. The wine is ok.

I've not been to Grand Cayman. Thanks for the pictures.

It is sunny and warmer today and there is some snow melt. Then the cold temps come; some snow tonight and -3F by Saturday AM. I went and had lab work drawn this morning, got a few items at the Aldi next to Quest, then picked up a prescription. It felt balmy out, as it was already up to 40F. My alley was snow covered, but navigable.

Good news - I hear my friend's Mother will be discharged tomorrow since her pulse ox is now mid-90s.

@kazu Continued prayers for Jose and you. Oh my on that icy driveway! What a nice gift from your BFF. Oh no, on Jose's fall and the fractured clavicle; neither of you needs more stress. (((HUGS)))

@smitty34877 I'm glad Tana is doing better and got moved to the step down unit.

@mamaofami I'm glad the female aide seemed to work well. The FL orange crop has "citrus greening" causing smaller and less fruit with less juice. Prices are expected to go up due to this.

@JAM37 I hope you could stay warm with that power outage. Prayers for challenges.

@dobiemom I think the new released census will help me in my research efforts.

@durangoscots Congrats on the lower A1C! I hope my labs done today look ok - no A1C, but there's a fasting glucose, lipids, and a ton of special rheumatology and hematology stuff.

Prayers for the care list and a toast to the celebration list.

Stay safe, wear your mask and social distance if possible.

Hope the test results are good.

1 hour ago, Norseh2o said:

Popcorn is a ‘dessert’ favorite in our house! No pasta tonight, we will enjoy homemade pizza with our Hawaiian grands as we enjoy January in Kona, HI. 5CE64CF9-741C-424B-8CCC-C9542EE7BDF4.thumb.jpeg.0588aa20d0cd902dd28e378e0abc3ea6.jpeg04507694-DE90-428A-962C-DFDA965E3362.thumb.jpeg.da99fe08121e7ca4cf934bfa826d568f.jpegA3B0F27C-8404-476D-8260-49FE4EB73728.jpeg.5a9b8ccc5b13d57c73eb0c1606eabaea.jpeg

Enjoy your time in Hawaii.

36 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Another port I have been to, 3 times if memory serves me correctly. I dearly love popcorn. When I am very tired and/or stressed my go to dinner meal is Popcorn and a glass of White Zinfandel. I will pass on the meal, never been a big fan of pasta although I will eat it occasionally. The drink of the day sounds to spicy for me.

Continued prayers for Jackie, Jose, Carol and all who need them.

Kakalena's family, their in-laws and their church all combined to get enough supplies for her to actually get into her new house. There are still a few things not going quite right but everything seems to be looking up.

Jane

Jane, thanks for the update on Kakalina.  Glad she could get in her house.  How nice her family, in-laws, and their church to pitch in and get the supplies.

Lenda 

• Like 16