Northern Lights

sandjforever

It's hard to say, but I hope you do.You are far enough north, and the time of year is right, but the sightings are unpredictable (for the most part).   For example, in the mid 80's I worked at Denali for 3 seasons. I only saw the lights a few times. (The tourists/visitors would often ask  the staff at the front desk at the lodge, what time the northern lights would come on-as  if there  was an on and off switch!) Happy  cruising!

• Haha 1

Yes, once, and it was an odd situation.  It was during a Summer inside passage cruise and the ship encountered fog.  I heard the fog horn begin and went up to the top deck to experience this situation.  We were going North so the Starboard side of the ship was closest to the shore.  The Port side of the ship was in fog; the Starboard side was in the clear.  It was then that I saw the Northern Lights that lasted just a short time.  

• Like 1

If on a ship go to the highest deck - dark space - away from the lighting and rigging -

probably the bow forward area that is kept dark for the navigation by the Bridge.

Since Alaska is the land of the mid-night sun - later (much later) wee hours would be

best to observe the N L although the lights are visible away from port - open sea.

If possible find the crew Officer assigned to meteorology (weather officer) and strike

up a conversation discussion - there maybe even a note in the ships daily newspaper.

• Like 1

If you happen to get decent weather, as October is generally the stormiest month in SE Alaska with frequent missed ports, you should check the aurora forecast at https://www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast

and try to find a dark enough spot on the ship somewhere where it's dark enough to see the stars.  This can be a real problem. I have seen great northern lights in SE Alaska in September and October, but I lived there so I had lots of opportunities.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We saw the Northern Lights once- it was on our very first cruise and it was in Alaska! It was on August 28, 2000. Personally, October seems pretty late to be going as many of the towns and excursion companies are shutting down in mid September.