Tips on how to AVOID getting covid on a cruise ship and what to do if you do have it

mellon1

News flash - we always wear Kn95 masks, do not sit at a bar or any public space we cannot be far from folks, sun beds on deck 11 with no one in sight and I still caught it - felt tired the evening of day 5 and woke up with the cough day 6.  Tested positive and moved to quarantine, DH waiting for result of his second test, hope he remains negative.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

News flash - we always wear Kn95 masks, do not sit at a bar or any public space we cannot be far from folks, sun beds on deck 11 with no one in sight and I still caught it - felt tired the evening of day 5 and woke up with the cough day 6.  Tested positive and moved to quarantine, DH waiting for result of his second test, hope he remains negative.  

So sorry.  When is your cruise over?  DH with you? 

4 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

I am so sorry.  Truly.  What ship are you on?  Are they giving you the pills to stop covid.  Wondering that the procedure is on Princess regarding this.  Is your husband with you?  

I am hoping next year they will treat this like a cold and you take medicine but are not in a quarantined area, etc. or tested, etc.

Just now, mellon1 said:

I am so sorry.  Truly.  What ship are you on?  Are they giving you the pills to stop covid.  Wondering that the procedure is on Princess regarding this.  Is your husband with you?  

I am hoping next year they will treat this like a cold and you take medicine but are not in a quarantined area, etc. or tested, etc.

Are you doing B2Bs??  I hope you feel better real soon.  

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

So sorry.  When is your cruise over?  DH with you? 

Thanks - I told DH to stay out if he can and enjoy the remaining 5 days.  We were booked on the next cruise as well but am pretty sure they will not let us on it even with negative tests.

2 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

Thanks - we are on the Constellation.  The physician offered routine meds but nothing specific for Covid.  My symptoms are a lot like a cold with the typical aches and coughs.  I agree that I look forward to a time that every sniffle is not cause for concern.

1 minute ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Yes - we were due to stay on board for the next sailing.

My heart goes out to you both.  How devastating.  Wonder if they will let you on the next trip if not testing positive.  I read somewhere on the AARP about a pill Pax....something.  Someone took it one day and they then tested negative.  This is what we need on cruise ships!  Take care and keep in touch.   Feel better soon!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Thanks - I told DH to stay out if he can and enjoy the remaining 5 days.  We were booked on the next cruise as well but am pretty sure they will not let us on it even with negative tests.

That’s my biggest fear with b2b’s… all this prep and if you test positive…all could be over, if you have to go home.

That really stinks.  
So, if you test negative after 5 days, normally they say you can fly home, or on long cruises they keep you in quarantine for 10 days total.  But, you only have 5 days left on this cruise.

Could you please update us on what tjey do?

The anti viral pill I believe is for non vax,

to keep them from severe disease or hospitalization. 
Keep us posted and get well soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mellon1 said:

My heart goes out to you both.  How devastating.  Wonder if they will let you on the next trip if not testing positive.  I read somewhere on the AARP about a pill Pax....something.  Someone took it one day and they then tested negative.  This is what we need on cruise ships!  Take care and keep in touch.   Feel better soon!

It is called Paxlovid.  There are not enough pills to go around.  Instead of sending people masks and tests manufactured in China they should have pushed to send everyone a course of the pills.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Keksie said:

It is called Paxlovid.  There are not enough pills to go around.  Instead of sending people masks and tests manufactured in China they should have pushed to send everyone a course of the pills.

That's it.  I agree.  I think everyone would feel better knowing they have that available on the ships and everywhere for that matter.

• Like 1

Quick update - DH tested negative again so he is free from isolation.  He feels really bad since we cruise because I love it and he loves me.  Now he can do all the legwork - cancel next cruises, rebook flights, get test documentation for insurance.  I will make lemonade now and say refunds will take care of Iceland and Norway Apex cruises in August.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Quick update - DH tested negative again so he is free from isolation.  He feels really bad since we cruise because I love it and he loves me.  Now he can do all the legwork - cancel next cruises, rebook flights, get test documentation for insurance.  I will make lemonade now and say refunds will take care of Iceland and Norway Apex cruises in August.  

Are you able to see each other at all?  

2 hours ago, mellon1 said:

That's it.  I agree.  I think everyone would feel better knowing they have that available on the ships and everywhere for that matter.

Not me.  I’ve read the side effects and it is very scary.  It’s for the highest risk people like unvaccinated or immuno-compromised people, having the worst possible outcomes severe disease or death.  That wouldn’t apply for cruise ships, as we are mostly or all vaccinated.

Anyway, not a subject we should debate on CC.

Best thing is the vaccination.

I’m done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SbbquilterUT said:

I’m glad you have the next one to look forward to!  
So, did they tell you that you cannot stay OB?  You can fly after you have 5 days in quarantine and test negative?

3 hours ago, Keksie said:

Why not give everyone an IV set up and push monoclonal antibodies?  Oh, wait, that almost happened in FL.   I remember photos of people, deathly sick,  rolled up on the floor of a library or such which was turned into an IV center...

You know you can buy masks that are not made in China, right?

The pills are not to be given out like candy on the off chance that someone may get COVID.  They are approved only for those with mild/moderate symptoms who have the possibility of degrading to serious illness.   Being on a cruise ship does not entitle anyone to the pills...

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

I’m glad you have the next one to look forward to!  
So, did they tell you that you cannot stay OB?  You can fly after you have 5 days in quarantine and test negative?

Have not asked about staying on but since we could not answer the health questionnaire (pos test in 10 days or close contact within 14) I doubt it.  He will look into it tomorrow.

2 hours ago, mellon1 said:

Are you able to see each other at all?  

5 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Not unless he wants to enter the room with me for the rest of the cruise - he volunteered but I declined.

There's always Zoom calls*

* - insert your favorite online videoconferencing software here.  Subject to Internet availability.

1 minute ago, Honolulu Blue said:

* - insert your favorite online videoconferencing software here.  Subject to Internet availability.

Great idea but he does not travel with a device.  We are talking regularly but as there is US Men's World Cup qualifier game today along with football I think he is pretty well occupied.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Great idea but he does not travel with a device.  We are talking regularly but as there is US Men's World Cup qualifier game today along with football I think he is pretty well occupied.

That’s so cute.  I wish you well.  
Just look forward to your next cruise.

Take care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I don't even know how!!!  I just got my Iphone and hate texting.  I would rather pick up the phone!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

That’s my biggest fear with b2b’s… all this prep and if you test positive…all could be over, if you have to go home.

That really stinks.  
So, if you test negative after 5 days, normally they say you can fly home, or on long cruises they keep you in quarantine for 10 days total.  But, you only have 5 days left on this cruise.

Could you please update us on what tjey do?

The anti viral pill I believe is for non vax,

to keep them from severe disease or hospitalization. 
Keep us posted and get well soon.

You sound like me.  I overpack and bring all the what if stuff.  For 40 days on the same ship, we make it a home for that time.  We do nothing else all year and so look forward to cruising.  However, with covid and having to drive 2 days there and 2 days home and also stay at hotel for 3-4 days before boarding for testing, a lot to do.  It has always been worth it as we go and know after I am done cleaning and packing that we are on vacation and can sit and have that drink or two and relax and not have anything to stress about.  I like that feeling.  I like being pampered and not having to do wash, make the bed or make dinner or clean the dishes.  It is a true luxury.

I hope they feel better and are able to get home safely.

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Not me.  I’ve read the side effects and it is very scary.  It’s for the highest risk people like unvaccinated or immuno-compromised people, having the worst possible outcomes severe disease or death.  That wouldn’t apply for cruise ships, as we are mostly or all vaccinated.

Anyway, not a subject we should debate on CC.

Best thing is the vaccination.

I’m done.

Thanks for that update.  That's why I like CC all the information.