Breakfast room service. Menu?

Tablelamp

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Hopefully hot room service breakfast will return as we get room service breakfast every morning.

Graham.

We tend to on excursion day and probably the first day when we know the buffet is going to be manic.

We are due to cruise again at the end of August and are wondering if we are going to be in for a shock re the changes since our last cruise on PO in 2018

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We tend to on excursion day and probably the first day when we know the buffet is going to be manic.

We are due to cruise again at the end of August and are wondering if we are going to be in for a shock re the changes since our last cruise on PO in 2018

What ship are you sailing on?.

Hopefully we will have been on Britannia and Iona before then so will post an updated room service breakfast menu.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Hopefully we will have been on Britannia and Iona before then so will post an updated room service breakfast menu.

Graham.

To be honest we are not sure what to expect but are hoping that things have calmed down by then and we can look forward to some sort of normality. I really do get the changes they have had to make over the last 12 months or more, but am hoping that some of the things that have been dumbed down don't stay as cost cutters rather than for medical reasons. (Am do think some will stay though sadly ...... the turn down service, limited menus in room service to name a few)

I may be wrong and hope I am as I can by cynical at times ....

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

To be honest we are not sure what to expect but are hoping that things have calmed down by then and we can look forward to some sort of normality. I really do get the changes they have had to make over the last 12 months or more, but am hoping that some of the things that have been dumbed down don't stay as cost cutters rather than for medical reasons. (Am do think some will stay though sadly ...... the turn down service, limited menus in room service to name a few)

I may be wrong and hope I am as I can by cynical at times ....

On our 7 night staycation cruise in September on Iona we asked our cabin steward to keep out of our cabin and I put the used towels in a bin in the corridor and our cabin steward handed me fresh towels and toilet rolls on request.

The breakfast room service waiter handed me the tray at the cabin door.

We didn't miss the turndown service.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

On our 7 night staycation cruise in September on Iona we asked our cabin steward to keep out of our cabin and I put the used towels in a bin in the corridor and our cabin steward handed me fresh towels and toilet rolls on request.

I'm sure he appreciated having less work to do.

We didn't miss the turndown service.

Graham.

That's a whole other thread 😉

Hoping that life will return to more normality by the very end of August. Have been looking at excursions tonight and allowing myself to get excited ... ish .......

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I cruised in December after last cruising in November 2018. There were changes but none spoilt the cruise. Masks well that may have gone. The bars seem to have an allocated range of drinks which is more restrictive so you may like something in one, move on and  it is not available in another. For me that meant Peller Ice in the GlassHouse but not now in Epicurean and the staff are not allowed to go fetch it if any distance e.g. the waiters in Epicurean were able to use the CrowsNest but not go downstairs. Room service was minimal and did not see that many breakfast trays. Everything else on Room service was chargeable but no tray charge which there was on Iona.

Unless the quality has changed since I was last on P&O, the Continental Breakfast items - well, the pastries anyway - were pretty dire imho...

I avoid cabin breakfast at all costs. Go to the mdr the first couple of days to avoid the utter chaos of the buffet.

Only tend to get a cabin breakfast if I have an early start excursion - maybe once or twice at most.

Never thought of using the MDR for breakfast but is that a full breakfast ? Sounds like a good idea as we hate the buffet on sea days.

PS What time is the MDR normally opened and closed ? Hubby seems to think it is early

Edited by Presto2

26 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Never thought of using the MDR for breakfast but is that a full breakfast ? Sounds like a good idea as we hate the buffet on sea days.

PS What time is the MDR normally opened and closed ? Hubby seems to think it is early

It certainly is a full breakfast. Full English, Smoked Haddock, Kippers, Omelettes and daily specials like Eggs Benedict and Kedgeree. All the usual cereals, fruit and yogurt too. It does close early in comparison to the buffet but I am generally up at a reasonable time.

3 minutes ago, Britboys said:

It certainly is a full breakfast. Full English, Smoked Haddock, Kippers, Omelettes and daily specials like Eggs Benedict and Kedgeree. All the usual cereals, fruit and yogurt too. It does close early in comparison to the buffet but I am generally up at a reasonable time.

Sounds fab - for some reason we have never really even thought about it. Any idea what time it closes ? It isn't too bad closing earlier on day one if its from Southampton, its when it is a fly cruise and we've already been up since the crack of dawn the day before. Something we will definitely look out for in future.

Edited by Presto2

Its not too early. I believe MDR was 8.30am/9am last orders. Times do change for example when in Russia it was significantly earlier and I missed it. Don't have that worry now but I liked the MDR breakfast, buffet was not for me.

I seem to remember that breakfast in the MDR finishes at 9:30. (Final entry time)

We have never made it.

DW requires at least 30 minutes to be "presentable",  and as we don't normally wake until 8:30 at the earliest,  it's just too much of a rush. 

I do find that quite often I am sent to the buffet, with instructions to return to the cabin with croissants, smoked salmon,  ham, cheese etc. 

• Like 2

We avoid the buffet at most of the cruise, breakfast in mdr I think wowzz times are correct, it’s no problem for us because we’re early risers up about 6 in morning, earlier if coming into port to watch sunrise , and it’s a great time to do your ship photos in morning when empty 🤗

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

We like the buffet the food we have had as been good, we did try the mdr but we didn't really like it.

With the new protocols in place, the buffet is far more relaxed than it was in the past, helped no doubt  by there being fewer passengers on board. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

With the new protocols in place, the buffet is far more relaxed than it was in the past, helped no doubt  by there being fewer passengers on board. 

Very true indeed less people about until we came to be tested, than it got very crowded in the buffet but we got our food and sat outside.

On 1/23/2022 at 6:03 PM, Britboys said:

The MDR breakfast menu had changed when we were on Ventura last month.

No omelettes, haddock or kippers ☹️.

The daily specials (kedgeree, gammon, corn beef hash etc) were also no more.

However, eggs benedict was available every day.  There was also smashed avocado on sourdough toast.  Unfortunately the day I tried that it looked like mushy peas without the peas lightly smeared over some bread.

Nonetheless, the MDR remained a good place to go for a trad full english served at the table.  Worcester sauce in the tomato juice as well, and better toast than the MDR.

• Like 1