1/21/2022-Updated Covid test requirements

broker1217

Dear Viking Guest,

I hope this note finds you well and looking forward to your upcoming travels. On January 5, 2022, we communicated several updates to the Viking Health & Safety Program for voyages departing in January and February—including the requirement of a pre-departure PCR test. We are writing today to let you know about a change to that policy.

Viking is committed to doing all we can to ensure you are healthy and well prepared for international travel—and that you will be able to arrive in your destination and embark your ship safely. Viking requires that all guests take a pre-departure COVID-19 test. After reevaluating current testing conditions, guests now have two options for this required test; for both options, you must travel with an electronic or printed copy of your negative COVID-19 test result:

• You may take a COVID-19 PCR test (with a laboratory-certified proof of negative result) within 72 hours prior to boarding your first outbound flight from your home country OR
  • You may take a COVID-19 antigen test (with a laboratory-certified proof of negative result) within 24 hours prior to boarding your first outbound flight from your home country.

Select at-home tests will meet Viking's travel requirement, provided they include a laboratory-certified proof of result. Please see the Pre-Departure COVID-19 Test section of our website for more details.

Please Note: Some countries may have more stringent testing requirements for entry and for boarding a cruise ship—and we will inform you of all relevant requirements in advance of your departure. You may also read the Pre-Cruise Requirements found under the Resources tab of your itinerary page on the Viking website and follow all guidelines that Viking provides via email and on MyVikingJourney.com.

Rest assured, we plan to operate all upcoming scheduled itineraries, including yours. As the world continues to adapt to this evolving pandemic, we recognize that travel is presently challenging. We will continue to evaluate our protocols and proactively make adjustments as necessary.

As a reminder, the other policies communicated on January 5, 2022 remain in effect:

• COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Requirement (if eligible)

Effective for departures beginning February 1, 2022 and until further notice

This policy update is aligned with current CDC guidelines and means that to sail with Viking, guests will need to provide proof of up to date immunization against COVID-19 at least 14 days prior to travel.

• Embarkation COVID-19 Testing Protocol: As part of our regular embarkation process, guests are required to take a PCR test in the privacy and comfort of your stateroom. This non-invasive PCR test is conducted with a simple saliva specimen collected in a plastic tube and processed on board, in the ship's laboratory. For upcoming sailings, all guests will remain in their staterooms for a few hours, until negative test results are confirmed.

While you are in your stateroom, you will have access to the full room service menu and have time to unpack and relax. You will be notified once negative test results are confirmed and will then be able to explore the ship and enjoy all its amenities. We thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.

And to be clear--I was sent this and have a voyage in 2 weeks departing from US and I am in US.

So 72 hours for PCR makes it easier. I have a Sunday departure so I could, theoretically, get tested Thursday doing a 'free' test.

The antigen  24 hour is still tough in my area as testing facilities are still quite busy due to omicron.

• Like 2

I was excited to get this email but upon more careful reading, I'm confused about what "laboratory-certified" means.  Does a rapid antigen test performed at CVS or Walgreens count?  I don't think of pharmacies as laboratories.  Do the BinaxNOW proctored home antigen tests qualify?  I'm thinking they don't because the sample home tests Viking provides links to all refer to home saliva samples sent into a lab.  

At least by lengthening the window for PCR tests to 72 hours before sailing we feel more confident we can get our results back in time.  

I received this also (2/23 embarkation).   They are referring to either a PCR/72 hours or an Antigen/24 hours.  That being the case there isn’t any mention of NAAT - also a molecular based test….which is what PCR is.   Any ideas?

8 minutes ago, bobecus said:

I received this also (2/23 embarkation).   They are referring to either a PCR/72 hours or an Antigen/24 hours.  That being the case there isn’t any mention of NAAT - also a molecular based test….which is what PCR is.   Any ideas?

No ideas from me.  Geez it feels like we need to be chemistry experts just to decipher the rules to travel anymore.  It used to be so much easier!! 

Edited by LisaDee
  • Like 1

All these changes make me nutty!!! So Viking’s new request is a Covid test 72 hours before your first flight. However I am flying to Puerto Rico who require a Covid test 48 hours before your flight. So I guess I go with the 48 hour rule??? But it’s not until March - all rules will probably change before then anyway. Stay tuned!! 

1 hour ago, bobecus said:

My question too. I will say that the documentation Viking provided to us from their onboard lab (on our 2 previous 2021 cruises) that bills itself as PCR testing clearly identifies itself as a Nucleic Acid Amplification Technology. NAAT although on the documentation from the Viking Sky and the Viking Orion it was abbreviated NAT. 

Viking seriously needs to clarify and be more specific relative to their new testing requirements.  They need to specify that they would accept a NAAT test within the 72 hour window for PCR.  After all, PCR tests ARE NAAT.   NAAT tests are "rapid PCR" which basically yields the same results - their January 5th document groups NAAT/PCR together - they really need to clarify this now. 

We don't cruise until April 9, so I haven't spent too much time paying attention to all the details of what will be required, since I still expect (hope?) that things will change again by then. However, I am encouraged about the 72 hour test result window. That should make things easier.

My plan is to start focusing on current requirements at the two month mark, so I can complete the things that can be done in advance, and not leave everything to the last minute. If anyone with experience in all these matters has any other recommendation, I would be happy for your input.

• Like 3

We're scheduled for a Viking River cruise in April out of Amsterdam.  We received the same email today.  I was surprised to see Viking using hours instead of days for the pre-cruise test requirement (e.g., 72 hours instead of 3 days, and 24 hours instead of 1 day).  The use of hours by other travel providers has caused so much confusion (especially with people crossing time zones, flight delays, etc.) that they've switched to days instead of hours.  

Here's one example of a problem that could arise using hours instead of days.   You have a flight scheduled to depart from the U.S. to your destination in Europe leaving on a Friday at 9am ET.   You get a rapid antigen test at 11am on Thursday morning.   You test negative.  You go to the airport the next day, but your flight is delayed until noon, or later.   The 24-hour window for your test has expired. 

Does Viking really mean hours?  (I will ask them, but perhaps others have already.)  Thanks. 

3 hours ago, uktog said:

And what hours- European time, GMT, Eastern Time……

I think they expect you to do the math. We have PCR scheduled for 10 am on Tuesday (which is 4 pm local time in Italy). We arrive at 11 am Italy time on Friday. So long as we aren’t delayed enroute by 5 hours on the way we should be fine. (Italy’s rule is PCR 72 hours before you land in Italy). We will probably do a rapid test on the morning that we fly out as well, especially if we don’t have those Tuesday results in hand by then. 

On 1/21/2022 at 11:13 PM, bobecus said:

After starting a thread initially simply looking for passengers who had experience with Walgreens Rapid ID test (a NAAT test), the new dictate from Viking (which you reference) came out which omitted the NAAT language. 

As indicated in my thread, I have written to Viking and called them about the language change. So far, no written response from Viking, other than to tell me it may take 7-10 business days, but for what it is worth, the Viking Rep I spoke with indicated there would be no problem with Viking accepting a NAAT test. He acknowledged what has been said here, that a PCR test and a NAAT test are both molecular tests and for all intents and purposes are the same.

My cruise is the LA to Fort Lauderdale Panama Canal Cruise.  I thought I would mention all this here in case those following this thread hadn't read mine. If I get a written response from Viking confirming what the Rep said, I will post the response in both threads.

Well, I heard back from Viking, and surprisingly, the inconsistent information has gone from bad to worse.  The Viking Rep wrote:

Please see the updated email that was sent on 1/24/2022 with new regulations. Since you are not flying internationally, an Antigen test will need to be taken within 24 hours of boarding first outbound flight from the US.  We will now accept select at-home COVID-19 tests.  The 72 hours prior to boarding is for international flights only.

As this is clearly incorrect, I have responded as follows:

While I appreciate your prompt response, not only did you not answer my question about whether a "NAAT test" would suffice in light of Viking's language change in the most updated "REQUIREMENTS" document which neglected to include the NAAT language, you are totally misstating what the REQUIREMENTS document associated with the 1/24/22 email states.  Nowhere in the document does it state that an Antigen test taken within 24 hours is required for those traveling within the US. You have it backwards, the document states the 24 hour requirement is for those passengers who are "traveling from outside the US" and even then those passengers clearly have the option of a PCR, NAAT or Antigen test.  

I spoke to a Viking Representative yesterday who assured me that a negative NAAT test result from a test taken within three days of boarding would suffice.  I would, however, like to get this in writing from Viking.  Please refer my inquiry to a Supervisor ASAP so I can get my specific question answered.  My wife and I are frequent cruisers and are trying Viking for the first time.  The mixed information from Viking on testing is very disheartening.

Thank you for your prompt attention to my inquiry.

If I get better information, I will post again.
Edited by spocruiser
inconsistent font size

Rather earlier than I anticipated, Viking is allowing a lateral flow test as an alternative to a PCR. I just received the following info via my TA. I suspect Viking will have to change its position on the boarding PCR as well in due course…

• Pre-Departure COVID-19 Testing

Effective immediately and until further notice

Viking is committed to doing all we can to ensure you are healthy and well prepared for international travel - and that you will be able to arrive in your destination and embark your ship safely. Viking requires that all guests take a pre-departure COVID-19 test. After re-evaluating current testing conditions, guests now have two options for this required test; for both options, you must travel with an electronic or printed copy of your negative COVID-19 test result:

• You may take a COVID-19 PCR test (with a laboratory-certified proof of negative result) within 72 hours prior to boarding your first outbound flight from your home country OR
  • You may take a COVID-19 antigen test (with a laboratory-certified proof of negative result) within 24 hours prior to boarding your first outbound flight from your home country.

Select on-site antigen tests will meet Viking's travel requirement, provided they include a laboratory-certified proof of result. Please check with your test provider that they will be able to satisfy this requirement.

Please Note: Some countries may have more stringent testing requirements for entry and for boarding a cruise ship - and we will inform you of all relevant requirements in advance of your departure. You may also read the Pre-Cruise Requirements found under the Resources tab of your itinerary page on the Viking website and follow all guidelines that Viking provides via email and on MyVikingJourney.com.

• Embarkation COVID-19 Testing Protocol: As part of our regular embarkation process, guests are required to take a PCR test in the privacy and comfort of your stateroom. This non-invasive PCR test is conducted with a simple saliva specimen collected in a plastic tube and processed on board, in the ship's laboratory. For upcoming sailings, all guests will remain in their staterooms for a few hours, until negative test results are confirmed.

2 minutes ago, claranda said:

Embarkation COVID-19 Testing Protocol: As part of our regular embarkation process, guests are required to take a PCR test in the privacy and comfort of your stateroom. This non-invasive PCR test is conducted with a simple saliva specimen collected in a plastic tube and processed on board, in the ship's laboratory. For upcoming sailings, all guests will remain in their staterooms for a few hours, until negative test results are confirmed.

I know that Viking has been conducting daily or almost daily saliva PCR tests on its cruises.  What has happened if someone tests positive  -- isolation on board?  disembarked at next port? 

6 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I know that Viking has been conducting daily or almost daily saliva PCR tests on its cruises.  What has happened if someone tests positive  -- isolation on board?  disembarked at next port? 

You may wish to read through the following FAQs from Viking: Health & Safety FAQ | Viking Ocean Cruises (vikingcruisescanada.com) Note these come from the Canadian website and should be verified at your location.

The actual wording dealing with your question is:

What happens if a guest tests positive for COVID-19 while on their Viking cruise?
Guests with a positive COVID-19 test will be isolated on board. Should the destination where the ship is located require those who test positive be disembarked, we will arrange for the guest to recover ashore before returning home once their recovery is complete. Upon their return home, Viking Customer Relations will contact the guest and their travel advisor directly regarding any necessary refunding or rescheduling.

Please Note: Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 in the past 15–90 days should bring either a Physician certificate of recovery or a positive PCR test result from within that time window.

This wording has changed over time - originally, positive passengers were isolated, then disembarked in most/all cases - that was the Viking protocol. The current wording suggests that Viking might simply isolate you unless the local jurisdiction requires your to be disembarked. In my view, that's an improvement as opposed to originally being turfed off at the first opportunity.

While it may not be possible for Viking to advise re the rules at all destinations on a cruise due to their variety and constant changes, if it were me, I'd get the best clarification in writing that I could prior to sailing. More knowledge makes for better decisions on our part.  🥌🍺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For what it is worth, I heard back from the Viking Rep who gave me the incorrect information that only a negative 24 hour Antigen test would be accepted for passengers originating from the US (for my LA to Fort Lauderdale Panama Canal cruise - see my prior posts if you want more background). She stated:

In speaking with my supervisor, I can confirm that either the PCR test (RT-PCR) can be taken 72 hours prior to your first outbound flight or you may take an Antigen test 24 hours prior to boarding your first outbound flight.  

The supervisor also has confirmed that the only NAAT that will be acceptable by Viking for travel is an RT-PCR.

I sincerely apologize for the mix up.  

Unfortunately, this contradicts the Viking Rep I spoke to on the phone who assured me that a negative NAAT test would suffice.  I do believe the language used in the above email is incorrect. My understanding is that while a NAAT test and a RT-PCR test are both molecular tests, that is they are testing to find the same genetic material, they are in fact different tests, that contrary to the statement above, the RT-PCR test is not a type of NAAT test.

This is all very frustrating.

1 hour ago, spocruiser said:

My understanding is that while a NAAT test and a RT-PCR test are both molecular tests, that is they are testing to find the same genetic material, they are in fact different tests, that contrary to the statement above, the RT-PCR test is not a type of NAAT test

You are incorrect. RT-PCR most certainly is one method of conducting an NAAT. Please see my response on the other thread where you posted this for the documentation.

10 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You are incorrect. RT-PCR most certainly is one method of conducting an NAAT. Please see my response on the other thread where you posted this for the documentation.

Thank you for your response, I will defer to you, I'm still climbing the learning curve on covid testing.