Key West this spring?

cameronp12

Hi all,

Long time lurker and first time poster here. I have been on many cruises, but my wife has never been on one. We have booked Alaska for this summer on the Solstice, but I want to surprise her for her birthday this spring with a short cruise to "introduce her to cruising" and have a nice little getaway.

I'm very close to booking the 4 night out of FLL that goes to Key West and Nassau on the Millennium because it has a good balance of adventurous (Key West) and relaxing (Nassau) plus a sea day to enjoy relaxing on the ship, so I think she will really like it.

My question is: what are the chances that Key West gets taken away and/or replaced with another port? I have been reading some of the news but am not super connected to that area. I love Key West and would love to have stop there, but I know they are trying to ban ships.

I see that Celebrity has several itineraries that go there, so I wondered if anyone knew anything about Celebrity ships stopping at Key West this spring?

Thanks in advance!

9 minutes ago, cameronp12 said:

Hi all,

Long time lurker and first time poster here. I have been on many cruises, but my wife has never been on one. We have booked Alaska for this summer on the Solstice, but I want to surprise her for her birthday this spring with a short cruise to "introduce her to cruising" and have a nice little getaway.

I'm very close to booking the 4 night out of FLL that goes to Key West and Nassau on the Millennium because it has a good balance of adventurous (Key West) and relaxing (Nassau) plus a sea day to enjoy relaxing on the ship, so I think she will really like it.

My question is: what are the chances that Key West gets taken away and/or replaced with another port? I have been reading some of the news but am not super connected to that area. I love Key West and would love to have stop there, but I know they are trying to ban ships.

I see that Celebrity has several itineraries that go there, so I wondered if anyone knew anything about Celebrity ships stopping at Key West this spring?

Thanks in advance!

We have loved our stops at Key West.  However, I am not optimistic that the port will re-open to large cruise ships.  Our upcoming cruise  was supposed to stop there but no longer.  I personally would not plan a cruise based on an anticipated stop in Key West or any other port in these Covid times.  

Technically there is nothing that prevents a cruise line from going to dock b, which is privately owned.

However most the the major large ship lines have chosen not to do so while many in the city are opposed and the city itself is not allowing large ships to dock at the two docks it controls.

The last large ship was met with protests both on land and at sea, as well as pictures of the mud trail being stirred up by it passage through the relatively shallow approach to the dock.

We are scheduled on the Apex on 2/5; the itinerary originally had Key West, then it was taken away, now they have put it back on the itinerary (just about a week ago). Looks like we will be the only ship in port the day we are there. Will see how it goes!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hiccups said:

We are booked on Reflection for 2/26, and had Key West replaced with Bimini last month.  I'm surprised any itineraries are still showing Key West.

That was going to be another question I had. With Nassau already on the itinerary, what would they replace Key West with? Seems like Nassau is already the common alternative.

As my screen name implies I was born and raised in South Florida (many moons ago) and spent many days in the Keys. It is ironic that a destination that was built on the back of day-trippers is now dominated by NIMBYs and elitists who don't want "those kind of people" in their town. It's their town and they can do what they want but I'm personally glad our March Apex stop in KW was cancelled (my DW isnt nearly as happy). I'll just keep my memories of the good old days when anyone with a tank of gas and the fare for the Conch Train was welcome.😀

1 hour ago, miaminative0853 said:

As my screen name implies I was born and raised in South Florida (many moons ago) and spent many days in the Keys. It is ironic that a destination that was built on the back of day-trippers is now dominated by NIMBYs and elitists who don't want "those kind of people" in their town. It's their town and they can do what they want but I'm personally glad our March Apex stop in KW was cancelled (my DW isnt nearly as happy). I'll just keep my memories of the good old days when anyone with a tank of gas and the fare for the Conch Train was welcome.😀

Anyone with s tank of gas is still welcome.

The problem is that cruisers make up 50 percent of the tourists and only 20 percent of the revenue. 

Key west is nothing like the old days. It instead is becoming another cruise ship port with formerly unique businesses that served both the local community and visitors being replaced with the same old cruise port businesses such as diamonds international.

The crowds when ships are in port makes those days a different experience for visitors as well as locals and not in a good way.

• Like 4

I'd be interested in the source of your 50/20 assertion.

The fact is KW changed dramatically from the good old days long before cruise ships arrived. Now the new locals want what they want. Good for them. As a cruiser I'm more than happy to go where I'm wanted and leave my 20% (or whatever it is) with those folks.

Edited by miaminative0853
typo

2 hours ago, miaminative0853 said:

When the next hurricane wipes them out they will be back begging for all the help and assistance they can get.   

A few years ago Key West was a stop.   If it wasn’t for the turkeys the place would have been dead.  All the stores, restaurants, and bars that were open had customers.  As the time got close to sailing the place got deserted.  

We also stayed they in a hotel.   The place was deserted during the day and came to life after 5.    Many places didn’t open until around 4.  This isn’t unique  to K W.  Most tourist places are like that , Bourbon Street,  Beale St in Memphis,   River Walk in San Antonio and etc. 

you can get a idea by watching those web cams in K W 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, hiccups said:

We are booked on Reflection for 2/26, and had Key West replaced with Bimini last month.  I'm surprised any itineraries are still showing Key West.

Our 2/17 on Millennium is still showing Key West.  I'm wondering when Celebrity is going to make up its mind about it.  I'd be happy to go to Bimini.  I'd just like to know what the plan is.

Edited by CruisinCrow
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

Our 2/17 on Millennium is still showing Key West.  I'm wondering when Celebrity is going to make up its mind about it.  I'd be happy to go to Bimini.  I'd just like to know what the plan is.

Me as well. I like to book my excursions and experiences as far in advance as possible. I know that's not always possible in these Covid times though.

On 1/23/2022 at 3:52 PM, misscruiser36 said:

We are scheduled on the Apex on 2/5; the itinerary originally had Key West, then it was taken away, now they have put it back on the itinerary (just about a week ago). Looks like we will be the only ship in port the day we are there. Will see how it goes!

We'll be there with you on the Constellation - just got the notification. 

It is replacing San Juan for us, their explanation is Covid protocols. 

ETA - I think Apex is there on the 6th, Constellation scheduled for the 5th. 

Edited by EatonDoolittle

On 1/23/2022 at 1:27 PM, miaminative0853 said:

I'd be interested in the source of your 50/20 assertion.

The fact is KW changed dramatically from the good old days long before cruise ships arrived. Now the new locals want what they want. Good for them. As a cruiser I'm more than happy to go where I'm wanted and leave my 20% (or whatever it is) with those folks.

Do a search on Key West tourist revenue from 2018 and 2019.

There was a detailed report on tourist numbers and revenue.

The number of cruise passengers were negatively impacting the attractiveness of the area for the over night and drive in tourists. So you had the 50% yielding 20% of revenue impacting in a negative way the 50% that generated 80% of the local tourist spend. drop those numbers and key west would stand to lose more thst the cruise ship bring in.

Key West has long lost it's ambiance/character.  First time there in the mid-70's.  Last time, December 2020. Mostly driving trips, a couple cruise stops.  Stayed at the Perry Hotel on Stock Island last time.  Unfortunately, Key West is a zoo now.  Sad, 😕 ☹️😪 

1 hour ago, cluso said:

Key West has long lost it's ambiance/character.  First time there in the mid-70's.  Last time, December 2020. Mostly driving trips, a couple cruise stops.  Stayed at the Perry Hotel on Stock Island last time.  Unfortunately, Key West is a zoo now.  Sad, 😕 ☹️😪 

Why a zoo?  You were there pre-vaccines so what made it bad?

Edited by Oville

On 1/23/2022 at 4:40 PM, hiccups said:

We just booked that cruise this morning after our Azamara cruise was canceled.   I only half expect us to have any stops once we get started.   I just want to spend a week not being cold.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oville said:

IMHO.  Way too many people.  Many were rude and doing stupid things, including peeing/throwing up in public (aka New Orleans).  A lot of drunks partying to the max.  All the little souvenir shops built in front of the nice old conch cottages selling junk.  Dirty.  Can't even find parking places anymore.

9 hours ago, Oville said:

PS--For example, the recent burning of the Southernmost Point Landmark.  At least they caught the vandals via webcam.  😪