Weather on TA April-May? Please advise.!

moondoggie

Here is a link to the "trans-atlantic" board where this topic is discussed quite frequently....

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2474-transatlantic-transpacific-repositioning-trans-ocean-cruises/

Enjoy your crossing....we are on the Sky TA in March and that will be our 3rd time across the pond....Love it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, moondoggie said:

Just booked 2002 TA 4/16-5/1.  What should I expect weather-wise?  Trying to decide what to bring:  down jacket?  mittens and hat?  short sleeved tops?  shorts?  Any advice greatly appreciated!

Yes, TA and then where to?  We’ve done many TA crossings.  Quite different if your doing the Baltic as opposed to

the Med.

This is the FLL-Southampton via Azores/Lisbon?  I think you can expect mild-to-warm weather until the Azores, and then it 'll probably turn cooler (60s).  I took a TA in early December Rome-FLL and the crossing days were all pretty warm-ish once we left the Med, so I'd think late April would be lovely.   I'd bring all three lengths:  shorts/capris/jeans and sleeveless/short-sleeved/3/4 sleeves, plus one hoodie or sweater. Can't imagine the need for mittens or a down coat unless there's a freak weather event.  

And the seas can be calm and sunny or can be very stormy. No way to predict what your cruise will have.

We had one cruise where crossing the Atlantic it was sunny and the ocean was smooth as glass. Had to go outside to make sure the ship was actually moving.

But on that cruise the Captain said there was a Princess ship on the same itinerary several days ahead of us and that ship had stormy weather the entire crossing.

Have done 9 T/A's .... example ... 2018 on Royal Princess ... same route ... beautiful and calm through Lisbon .... after Lisbon turning colder, grayer and rougher. Arrived Southampton April 30 temperature 35 degrees F winds at 20 knots gusting to 30. But, you never know what Mother Nature will bring.

Edited by NavArch64

1 hour ago, moondoggie said:

Sounds like we will need to pack for spring/summer/fall!

Thanks to all!  See you in less than three months!

We did layers.  And the last Apr May went on up to Russia and Scandinavia….snow in May!  Hat, gloves, packable down coats…

On 1/23/2022 at 9:01 PM, rdsqrl said:

This is the FLL-Southampton via Azores/Lisbon?  I think you can expect mild-to-warm weather until the Azores, and then it 'll probably turn cooler (60s).  I took a TA in early December Rome-FLL and the crossing days were all pretty warm-ish once we left the Med, so I'd think late April would be lovely.   I'd bring all three lengths:  shorts/capris/jeans and sleeveless/short-sleeved/3/4 sleeves, plus one hoodie or sweater. Can't imagine the need for mittens or a down coat unless there's a freak weather event.  

Once you get to La Coruna the weather might be rainy and definitely cooler, so a raincoat/windbreaker will be in order. Don’t travel with just shorts and short sleeves or summer attire, be ready for layering, especially on shore.  In fact, a light weight puffer would be perfect. I’m on the ship, too, and doing the British Isles segment. See you at Meet n Greet!

Susan