Whales - Juneau or ISP?

JSSpence

We (early 40s couple and active 10 yo child) will be on RCCL Radiance SB trip in late June. We want to do a whale-watching trip at one of the stops. Are there advantages to what you’ll see in one port vs another? We’ll also have a stop in Skagway and haven’t figured that one out yet either. Thanks!

We did a private whale watching in ISP on our last AK cruise, and had a great time. We are not sailing ISP this time and have booked a private tour in Juneau this time.

I really don’t think either would be a bad choice, from the research I’ve done over the years. 🙂 Have a great cruise!

Both ISP and Juneau offer great whale watching excursions.

As one of the entrance points to the Klondike gold rush Skagway's history is interesting.  The National Park Service owns a number of the historic buildings, and many are now museums.  There is also a NPS junior ranger program in one.  Google Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park for more information.  

And do you live in Alaska?  Always nice to have a fellow state resident posting on this board.

We have done whale watching in both Juneau and ISP. Both through the ship and private tours. Juneau has always been the best. We have seen whales in both ports, but we have only seen bubble net feeding and whales breaching in Juneau.

Both areas are good for Humpbacks with Juneau having better sightings for us.  Look at what else you’ll be doing in port.  There are more things to do in Juneau than ISP so booking the whale watch in ISP may be better overall allowing you to do more in Juneau.  Look at all the port options and your interests and then decide.  For us, we do whale watch tours in both.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

Both areas are good for Humpbacks with Juneau having better sightings for us.  Look at what else you’ll be doing in port.  There are more things to do in Juneau than ISP so booking the whale watch in ISP may be better overall allowing you to do more in Juneau.  Look at all the port options and your interests and then decide.  For us, we do whale watch tours in both.

This was my thought process too - in Juneau we want to see Mendenhall Glacier and the rainforest gardens, and also go up the Mt. Roberts team, whereas there doesn't seem to be much to do at ISP other than whale watching. (No way I'm getting the Mrs. on a Zipline.)

Both should be fine since sightings are guaranteed at both.

Edited by strickerj

If looking for a great independent whale watching operator for Icy Strait, take a look at Glacier Wind Charters --- very well organized and highly experienced.  Have gone with them numerous times and always had a great experience.  This thread and TripAdvisor has lots of recommendations for this company.  Here is the link if you are interested.

https://www.g-wind.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/26/2022 at 2:35 PM, Italy52 said:

If looking for a great independent whale watching operator for Icy Strait, take a look at Glacier Wind Charters --- very well organized and highly experienced.  Have gone with them numerous times and always had a great experience.  This thread and TripAdvisor has lots of recommendations for this company.  Here is the link if you are interested.

https://www.g-wind.com/

I second Glacier Wind Charters. Used them back in 2015 and it was an experience I’ll never forget. Since they only have 6 people on the boat, they can get into areas the larger boats the cruise lines use can’t. At one point, we were in an area with no other boats in sight and we had 6 humpback whales surrounding us. There’s so much to do in Juneau but very little to do in ISP. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PhotoFlo said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a whale watching company in Juneau?

Our favorite is Jayleen's Alaska -- https://jayleensalaska.com/

We have gone out with Jayleen many times and always had a great experience.  If interested, check out her website -- she is also mentioned on this board as well as TripAdvisor.

12 hours ago, LMKakaThing2 said:

I second Glacier Wind Charters. Used them back in 2015 and it was an experience I’ll never forget. Since they only have 6 people on the boat, they can get into areas the larger boats the cruise lines use can’t. At one point, we were in an area with no other boats in sight and we had 6 humpback whales surrounding us. There’s so much to do in Juneau but very little to do in ISP. 

Besides the 6 passenger boat, they now have a 13 passenger boat.  Looking forward to experiencing the new boat in August.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...