Royal Caribbean Balcony Cabin or MSC Yacht Club?

mhumphries

I am taking my mum on a cruise for her 80th birthday.  We are currently booked in balcony cabins on Royal Caribbean's newest ship, Wonder of the Seas in September.  

Since booking the cruise over a year ago, mum's dementia has become worse and she now has reduced mobility (walks with 2 sticks).  So I am wondering if this new Royal Caribbean mega-ship would be suitable for us.

As a result I am also considering Yacht Club on MSC Seaview as a potential alternative, as I like the idea of a "ship within a ship" for my mum but cannot afford either Royal Star Class, NCL The Haven or Celebrity The Retreat.  

We have cruised exclusively on Royal previously, including 2 on Oasis Class ships, but with my mum's changed circumstances I'm just not sure if this would be a good option anymore.  Does anyone have experience with Yacht Club, or have any thoughts on which might be the best option for us - Royal balcony cabin on a mega-ship or MSC Yacht Club?

I realise that MSC Seaview is still a very large ship, but just wonder if having the Yacht Club to retreat to might make it a more pleasant experience for my mum.

Thanks in advance.

If your mother's  dementia has worsened, I assume you would always be with her. Would she be amenable to using a wheelchair on the ship? That way you could push her and distances on board wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Thanks very much for this.  I am mum's full time carer and will be with her at all times during the cruise.  I hadn't thought about using a wheelchair, that is a great idea!  Do you happen to know if Royal Caribbean could provide this, or if I would need to hire one?  Thanks again.

I have sailed rccl twenty or so times , last 8 in suites, given the choice I would definitely pick MSc yacht club . Just loved yacht club you can have a great vacation and never leave there , nice entertainment from about 5 to 11 , they have a baby grand piano in there very large lounge, great service, almost everything is included, drink package, etc. great outdoor area with a restaurant pool and hot tubs . Butler is nice to have . 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mhumphries said:

I am taking my mum on a cruise for her 80th birthday.  We are currently booked in balcony cabins on Royal Caribbean's newest ship, Wonder of the Seas in September.  

Since booking the cruise over a year ago, mum's dementia has become worse and she now has reduced mobility (walks with 2 sticks).  So I am wondering if this new Royal Caribbean mega-ship would be suitable for us.

As a result I am also considering Yacht Club on MSC Seaview as a potential alternative, as I like the idea of a "ship within a ship" for my mum but cannot afford either Royal Star Class, NCL The Haven or Celebrity The Retreat.  

We have cruised exclusively on Royal previously, including 2 on Oasis Class ships, but with my mum's changed circumstances I'm just not sure if this would be a good option anymore.  Does anyone have experience with Yacht Club, or have any thoughts on which might be the best option for us - Royal balcony cabin on a mega-ship or MSC Yacht Club?

I realise that MSC Seaview is still a very large ship, but just wonder if having the Yacht Club to retreat to might make it a more pleasant experience for my mum.

Thanks in advance.

At a cost most likely less than the “ship within a ship” you mention, you could actually afford to cruise on an actual premium/luxury line like Azamara or Oceania. Compare the bottom line costs and you’ll be pleased to find the better value of the “real thing.”

11 hours ago, mhumphries said:

Thanks in advance.

Even without the special considerations involving your Mum, Yacht Club would be the clear choice for me.  Add in those special considerations and Yacht Club approaches no-brainer territory, IMO.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mhumphries said:

Do you happen to know if Royal Caribbean could provide this, or if I would need to hire one

The cruise lines normally don't provide chairs for full time use while aboard. There are 2 companies that you can rent from. Scootaround and Special Needs At Sea. They will have the chair waiting for you in the cabin, and pick it up at the end of your cruise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mhumphries said:

I think MSC YC might be a better "fit" for your circumstances than Royal Caribbean.  The YC service level experience might be provide a better experience for both of you.  Having a wheelchair available to allow your Mother to experience other areas of the ship is an excellent idea.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I think MSC YC might be a better "fit" for your circumstances than Royal Caribbean.  The YC service level experience might be provide a better experience for both of you.  Having a wheelchair available to allow your Mother to experience other areas of the ship is an excellent idea.  

And in YC, the OP can be freed up a little of the time, because in my experience the butlers will push a wheelchair, so if mum is by herself she can still get around, at least within the YC, without OP having to be with her constantly.