Hotels/sites in Athens

pooh/tigger

Good morning everyone,

We are flying into Athens 3 days before our cruise in October. Planning to see some of Athens. Would it be better to stay close to the port? If so, what are some of the hotels nearest the port? Should we even stay near the port or should we stay in another area to do what we want to do? Do most hotels have shuttles from the airport? How far is the port from the airport? 

What are some of the sites we should see with our 3 days? How about restaurant's we should dine at? 

Thanks for helping us. This is a big trip for us. Celebrating my win over cancer. 

Kelly

• Like 7

Congratulation on your win. Not much to see at the port, more to see & do in Athens. We're staying at the Athens Gate Hotel which is just a short walk from the Acropolis. We also like to use the hop on/ hop off bus, they are open top double decker which also goes out to the port. It's good for the whole day and you get off when ever you see something you want to explore & get back on the next bus.

DSC_0661 (2).JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Use google maps so you can see the distance from airport to hotel then to port. This is how I do my research, this will be my first time to Athens too and I have found a taxi service from hotel to port and from airport to hotel using CatTaxi  Congrats on your win over cancer, I had mine last year!

This guide answers all your questions.. https://www.davestravelpages.com/where-to-stay-in-athens-greece/

https://www.davestravelpages.com/2-days-in-athens-what-to-see-and-do-in-48-hours-in-athens

Just look at all his tips plus others https://www.athensguide.com/map/

Edited by ISLABONITA
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ISLABONITA said:

Use google maps so you can see the distance from airport to hotel then to port. This is how I do my research, this will be my first time to Athens too and I have found a taxi service from hotel to port and from airport to hotel using CatTaxi  Congrats on your win over cancer, I had mine last year!

This guide answers all your questions.. https://www.davestravelpages.com/where-to-stay-in-athens-greece/

https://www.davestravelpages.com/2-days-in-athens-what-to-see-and-do-in-48-hours-in-athens

Just look at all his tips plus others https://www.athensguide.com/map/

Congrats to you, as well.

Thank you for all this wonderful information. 

Kelly

• Like 1

There is a taxi line right outside the airport terminal with a large sign posting the prices at the head of the line. The fare to anywhere in central Athens is 35 euros. A little more at night.  Make sure the driver confirms the fare before you get on. It is under one hour depending on traffic.

Please, don't stay by the port. Stay in central Athens. 

There are only a couple of hotels with shuttles and they are near the airport.  It would be a waste of time to stay out there. 

The ride from central Athens to the port is about 20 minutes. 

The Athens Gate hotel would be a great choice. 

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marazul said:

There is a taxi line right outside the airport terminal with a large sign posting the prices at the head of the line. The fare to anywhere in central Athens is 35 euros. A little more at night.  Make sure the driver confirms the fare before you get on. It is under one hour depending on traffic.

There are only a couple of hotels with shuttles and they are near the airport.  It would be a waste of time to stay out there. 

Thank you. We will avoid the port now. 

and great advice about the taxi’s 

Edited by pooh/tigger

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 7:11 PM, marazul said:

Marazul:

We have been watching the covid numbers in Greece.  They seem to be improving  rapidly.  In your opinion, is this so or we we misinterpreting the numbers?

We are planning for six weeks in Greece..early May to mid/late June.  No mainland other than Athens for a few days prior to flying home.   Island hopping- two weeks in Crete and then the remaining month 'as the ferry scheds'  determine..  Flying directly to Greece, directly home-no stopovers in between.  Not planning to book air until 10-14 days in advance.  Accommodation as we travel-no plans, no non refundable bookings.  If we still need PCR test to fly home we will get them in Athens.  We are fully vaccinated, boosted and anticipate another booster prior to May.

In your opinion, is our optimism warranted based on what you are seeing and experiencing?  I realize that anything can transpire during the intervening period.

Edited by iancal

2 minutes ago, iancal said:

Marazul:

We have been watching the covid numbers in Greece.  They seem to be improving  rapidly.  In your opinion, is this so or we we misunderstanding the numbers.

We are planning for six weeks in Greece..early May to mid/late June.  No mainland other than Athens for a few days prior to flying home.   Island hopping- two weeks in Crete and then the remaining month 'as the ferry scheds'  determine..  Flying directly to Greece, directly home-no stopovers in between.  Not planning to book air until 10-14 days in advance.  Accommodation as we travel-no plans, no non refundable bookings.

In your opinion, is our optimism warranted based on what you are seeing and experiencing?  I realize that anything can transpire during the intervening period.

Iancal-

I keep up through media and friends. The latest is that tests are no longer required for vaccinated travelers.

https://www.ekathimerini.com/news/1176888/greece-scraps-covid-tests-for-vaccinated-travellers/

The rate of hospitalizations is also going down.

As for the islands, that was where the vaccination campaign started so tourism could take place again.

From what I read and hear, I would not hesitate going. Just follow precautions. Your plans sound great. I am jealous!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Iancal-

I keep up through media and friends. The latest is that tests are no longer required for vaccinated travelers.

https://www.ekathimerini.com/news/1176888/greece-scraps-covid-tests-for-vaccinated-travellers/

The rate of hospitalizations is also going down.

As for the islands, that was where the vaccination campaign started so tourism could take place again.

From what I read and hear, I would not hesitate going. Just follow precautions. Your plans sound great. I am jealous!

Thank you.  Cannot wait to get back!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, marazul said:

Iancal-

This is only for EU residents You can get a free EU Digital COVID Certificate from the EU country where your vaccination, booster vaccination or COVID-19 test took place.

28 minutes ago, ISLABONITA said:

This is only for EU residents You can get a free EU Digital COVID Certificate from the EU country where your vaccination, booster vaccination or COVID-19 test took place.

It was my impression that iancal is based in Europe.

Edited by marazul

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2022 at 2:38 PM, HarpHarp said:

We'll be tere in Oct. Hopefully COVID will be in the rear view mirror by then. Any other suggestions for hotels?

I've stayed at Athens Gate and think it is one of the best choices near the Plaka. 

If you want to experience some of the 'history' of Athens, there is always the Grand Bretagne on Syntagma Square. It is the "grande dame" of Athens hotels and is where Heinrich Schliemann stayed (or practically lived) during his early excavations and until his mansion was built. Along with a host of other celebrity travelers through the years. It is still fantastic, especially the bar just off the lobby with a copy of the Alexander mosaic from Pompeii.  Definitely not for those who are looking for modern/spa-like interiors though....

Even if one doesn't stay at the Grand Bretagne, it is a real experience to go up to the rooftop to have a drink at sunset, with views of the Acropolis. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cruise Mom, 
Thanks so much for your advice.I wish I could sit down with you and pick your brain for this cuise, since the ports are less common, especially with the lack of travel in the last couple years.

Every time we head to Europe, we find your posts invaluable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HarpHarp said:

Cruise Mom, 
Thanks so much for your advice.I wish I could sit down with you and pick your brain for this cuise, since the ports are less common, especially with the lack of travel in the last couple years.

Every time we head to Europe, we find your posts invaluable.

Very kind of you to say so. I enjoy answering questions, it gives me an excuse to share my love of the Med. Feel free to ask away!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello.  This will be our first time to the Mediterranean and Athens specifically.  I am following as I need to find a hotel for our pre cruise stay. I’ve now learned not to stay by port but in central Athens.  Any more information about areas to stay and hotels appreciated.  I look forward to learning more from you all. Thanks.