Robocall from Princess?

cltnccruisers

25 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

I don't mind being wrong in my reaction.  I would feel terrible if I didn't say anything and later found out it really was a scam and someone got burned.

Even though I was pretty sure the call I got was from Princess, your comment sure gave me pause for thought, and will make me more savvy with robocalls in the future - I will not press any buttons from here on out!  Thank you!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

They didn't ask for any number to be pressed.

They identified themselves as Princess & gave a phone number to contact them if your having trouble with the app. 1-800-PRINCESS 

Mine did.  As my PVP said, they change every now and then.  They definitely said they were Princess and may have added the phone# but those are public.  Nothing in the calls I got definitely established legitimacy.

But they were legit so that's fine.

• Thanks 1

They end the call saying if you are already green you don't have to do anything, why aren't they checking your status before the call with some logic.  If you are green don't call, then else do the call or email to get people to complete this in the APP.

20 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

I don't mind being wrong in my reaction.  I would feel terrible if I didn't say anything and later found out it really was a scam and someone got burned.

But I still can't get over how amateurish it sounded.

I getcha, but the time/effort and money involved for a real scammer to call countless random numbers in hopes of finding folks with current Princess reservations is ridiculous. With a few ships only sailing at 50% or less, there aren't that many targets for the scammer to reach. That's why scammers call about fake IRS and Social Security scams, as everyone has a SS number and pays taxes. (at least we're supposed to)

I do not accept any call from a number I do not recognize.  They can leave a message and I will read it later.  So no I did not get a robocall from Princess or any other entity.  I have received email from Princess concerning our upcoming cruise.  We are labeled green at this time.  

56 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I getcha, but the time/effort and money involved for a real scammer to call countless random numbers in hopes of finding folks with current Princess reservations is ridiculous. With a few ships only sailing at 50% or less, there aren't that many targets for the scammer to reach. That's why scammers call about fake IRS and Social Security scams, as everyone has a SS number and pays taxes. (at least we're supposed to)

In my 43 years in IT I have been approached a few times by those types looking for lists.  The first time was for the internal directory of the company I worked for.  The last time was looking for a dump of account data.  The $$ for the last one was a couple months salary.  I could have gone to jail for either but I don't do that sort of thing.

The point is that's how these folks work.  In this case they just need a list of cruisers phone #s.  Doesn't have to be everybody.  They don't need reservation info.  It was the lack of reservation specifics that was a flag for me.

BTW, as I'm typing this I got a robocall from Spectrum about a promotion for their customers.  I am not now nor have I ever been a Spectrum customer.  They had no reason to call me unless they were working from a general phone list.