N95 Mask requirement??

On 1/26/2022 at 12:27 PM, BND said:

I have not heard of any cruise line that requires N95 (I assume she means KN95 as N95 are medical/hospital grade and not really available to the public).   

We bought some N95 at Home Depot 2 weeks ago. They have the bands around the head and not the ear loops.

On 1/26/2022 at 10:17 AM, islandwannabee said:

Help, I am scheduled to leave tomorrow on the brilliance of the seas. I have a friend who is currently on the cruise and has been for a few weeks. She just told me it is a requirement to wear the N95 mask, if I don't have any they are providing them at guest services. I knew about the mask requirement. But I did not see it anywhere in the covid protocols that a certain type is only allowed. Does anyone know where this is in writing, or does the ships themselves have their own rules??

How would I drink through an N95?!

• Haha 2

On 1/29/2022 at 12:13 PM, orville99 said:

Not entirely true. FDA medical/industrial grade N95 masks do, but the NIOSH designation N95 only represents the % of filtration (IIRC 95% of 0.3 micron particulates) provided when worn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Both 3M and Kimberly-Clark make multiple varieties of N95 masks, only a few of which are FDA certified for clinical/industrial environments. The disposable ones we have from Kimberly-Clark are designed to form fit the face with two loops, one of which goes over the top of the head and the other which goes around the neck and an external nose piece that seals the top of the mask.

EF65D278-AD82-44F3-A01D-C8595EAC5E87.jpeg

They still need to be fit tested if used to protect in the workplace.

Rules for COVID are different for most users. But in the health care field, they should be doing fit testing.

And, yes, as I said, N95s have full straps, not ear loops.

The protection factor is what tells you the level of actual protection.  As you said, the 95 just means 95% effective against a specific particle size for the filter media.

No half face respirator (NOT surgical masks) have a protection factor of greater than 5 times due leaks occurring when moving or talking.

9 minutes ago, SRF said:

They still need to be fit tested if used to protect in the workplace

True, but this is not a discussion about the healthcare field or the workplace. We are talking about wearing a mask while enjoying a cruise. You are making an irrelevant Apples to Aardvarks argument.