Things to change on Beyond….

little britain

10 hours ago, canderson said:

Putting aside the aesthetic, one could make some strong arguments about her total lack of appreciation for the importance of best use of space in cabins, and for many, that's an important part of the experience.

We've spent time in quite a variety of maritime vessels, and intelligent and sometimes very creative use of space has always been appreciated.  Our opinion of the Hoppen use of space was confirmed when she said she'd never taken a cruise before embarking on her Celebrity designs.  That explains how chair arms are too tall to park them under desk space, causing pax to work around them to pass the bed.  It explains bedside tables without any useful storage.  It explains loading useful horizontal space full of tchotchkes that some sweep to one side or ask to have removed.

Instead of seeming to brag about her total lack of experience in a cabin, she might have done better to spend a few weeks in one to understand the basics. 

Again so sorry I mentioned the whole Hoppen thing again.  I should have known it would take over the thread.  😔

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Again so sorry I mentioned the whole Hoppen thing again.  I should have known it would take over the thread.  😔

Good that you did, actually.  Many of these shortcomings are easily resolved in the next build.  Celebrity can keep the Hoppen 'look' if they like, while returning some of the lost functionality.

Maybe I'm a bit younger and more spry but I've never had an issue with the 'functionality' of seating on E class. There are hundreds of seating areas with all sorts of options. I still content the majority of E class naysayers are hanging on to the relics of the 1980's cruise experience which is long gone. Maybe they will bring back Baked Alaska Parades, napkin twirling, skeet shooting and golf from the Sunset Bar? 

The only real constructive criticism I have is the tub/shower combo across the fleet in Sky Suites. Has anyone ever actually used the tub as a tub? I detest anything with a shower curtain. It's just a strange design although it will remain on Beyond. 

54 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The only real constructive criticism I have is the tub/shower combo across the fleet in Sky Suites. Has anyone ever actually used the tub as a tub? I detest anything with a shower curtain. It's just a strange design although it will remain on Beyond. 

Are you talking about the E-Class Sky Suites? If so there's no shower curtain but a glass door. The general criticism is they're difficult to get in and out of. Also the surrounding ledge traps water so when you open the shower door the water drips out. To solve that problem I just made sure to take a few swipes with my hand to clear away any water on the front ledge. The fancy shower head is great though.

Edited by kwokpot

4 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Maybe I'm a bit younger and more spry but I've never had an issue with the 'functionality' of seating on E class. There are hundreds of seating areas with all sorts of options. I still content the majority of E class naysayers are hanging on to the relics of the 1980's cruise experience which is long gone. Maybe they will bring back Baked Alaska Parades, napkin twirling, skeet shooting and golf from the Sunset Bar? 

Your opinion of course but maybe some of the folks you call naysayers are not stuck in the past and are not change-resistant.   Many have cruised E-Class multiple times, like it, but still express their legitimate opinions on the functionality of some of the furniture choices.   My example- I stayed in a CS on EDGE and really enjoyed it.  But our fine-looking couch was pretty close to having cement cushions.  And of course our real balcony had two nice armchairs but no footstools and no loungers.  This thread is about what could be improved on the next ships.  You can say I am hanging on to the relic of comfort when I cruise,  if that makes you feel better about this.  No problem.  I have been called worse than a relic!  and I would love to hit golf balls into the ocean but the environmental impact might be a reason not to do it.😎

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Read the title of the thread.  

The OP asked  what you would want to be changed. 

Isn’t this asking for things that passengers  don’t like?  If it was something that was liked then why would they want it to be changed?  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We sailed the Edge a few months ago and absolutely loved it.  If I could change one thing, it would be the seating in Eden.  It became our go to sunset spot but (there were 6 of us) we struggled to find comfortable seats.  But we can't wait to sail e-class again. 

1 hour ago, miched said:

Read the title of the thread.  

The OP asked  what you would want to be changed. 

Isn’t this asking for things that passengers  don’t like?  If it was something that was liked then why would they want it to be changed?  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Not how I read it, the OP listed and listed what they did not like and want changed, that's OK.  If I want something changed it may not be because I don't like it, I just perhaps I like a different print pretty fabric on the seats, or the wicker is not to my color/style liking, the cream color carpet OMG, what were they thinking.  Is it perfect, hell no, no venue is, is it awesome, hell yes, IMHO.  E-class for me is pretty spot on, tiny little warts and all.

Edited by LGW59

Just off the Edge and didn’t like that the Martini bar is the center of the ship and the noise is heard in all venues on all decks around it. It was impossible to enjoy Fine Cuts at dinner because of the noise as well as Cafe Baci. Miss the S class atrium.

On 1/31/2022 at 11:13 AM, Ipeeinthepools said:

I think you must be wearing rose colored glasses.  Lot's of cruise lines have introduced plenty of new ships and I never seen another new class of ship generate so many negative reviews.  I've never seen another new class of ship have so many people say that they will never sail on them because of the ships design. 

I am one of those that have been dying to sail on the Edge or any E class ship.  Finally booked the Beyond, which will be our first sailing on Celebrity. I think the ship looks absolutely fantastic, not really sure that some of the things I have read people wish to change would really bother me all that much.  Maybe I am not quite so picky.  People complain about mattresses, I have never had an issue with the mattress on the 30+ cruises I have done. Showers always a bit odd on most cruise lines, while I am sure things I may feel are odd, wouldn't necessarily keep me from booking again.  I don't like the shower on Carnival, but I keep booking them anyway.  

Personally the NCL Epic has to be the biggest failure in terms of ship design, as NCL never quite made another like it - in terms of the cabins. 

Also I am not quite sure what demographic I might fall into with what Celebrity is seeking.  I am sure I am older but not quite the older demographic they have in the past.  

Edited by mom2tcdx2

1 hour ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

I am one of those that have been dying to sail on the Edge or any E class ship.  Finally booked the Beyond, which will be our first sailing on Celebrity. I think the ship looks absolutely fantastic, not really sure that some of the things I have read people wish to change would really bother me all that much.  Maybe I am not quite so picky.  People complain about mattresses, I have never had an issue with the mattress on the 30+ cruises I have done. Showers always a bit odd on most cruise lines, while I am sure things I may feel are odd, wouldn't necessarily keep me from booking again.  I don't like the shower on Carnival, but I keep booking them anyway.  

Personally the NCL Epic has to be the biggest failure in terms of ship design, as NCL never quite made another like it - in terms of the cabins. 

Also I am not quite sure what demographic I might fall into with what Celebrity is seeking.  I am sure I am older but not quite the older demographic they have in the past.  

I don't know much about the Epic, but from everything I've heard it could be a candidate for the worst ship design.  Your impression of the E-class will likely be better if you're a suite guest.  The ship was designed to support the ship within a ship concept for the suite guests.  Plenty to offer for the suite guests, not much for everyone else.

2 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I don't know much about the Epic, but from everything I've heard it could be a candidate for the worst ship design.  Your impression of the E-class will likely be better if you're a suite guest.  The ship was designed to support the ship within a ship concept for the suite guests.  Plenty to offer for the suite guests, not much for everyone else.

Well I did jump into the sky class suite, really it was quite higher than we usually pay, but just seemed so awesome.  I would love to have the ability to afford a larger suite, but alas, I would have to then book a few more years out and not take a vacation at all for like 3 years.  Usually we are in just a balcony or even an inside cabin.  

6 minutes ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

Well I did jump into the sky class suite, really it was quite higher than we usually pay, but just seemed so awesome.  I would love to have the ability to afford a larger suite, but alas, I would have to then book a few more years out and not take a vacation at all for like 3 years.  Usually we are in just a balcony or even an inside cabin.  

If that's the case, then I'm sure you will love the Beyond.