St. Lucia on our own, beach and/or nice bar restaurant.

19pamela68

On 1/26/2022 at 9:43 PM, 19pamela68 said:

Hello All,

We're going to St. Lucia in December 2022.  We like to just chill out and go to a beach and have a few drinks and visit a nice bar restaurant.  Any recommendations? Walking distance?  Water taxi?  Taxi?  Thank you! 

Vigie beach.

Walking distance (20-30 minutes), or short cab ride ($10usd one way)

Boardwalk, local restaurants/bar, chairs for rent, lots of natural shade, calm, etc..

Kind of a bummer to miss our main attractions like the Pitons and such, but for a very local beach experience, Vigie is great .

Safe travels.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 2:43 AM, 19pamela68 said:

Hello All,

We're going to St. Lucia in December 2022.  We like to just chill out and go to a beach and have a few drinks and visit a nice bar restaurant.  Any recommendations? Walking distance?  Water taxi?  Taxi?  Thank you! 

Personal choice is The Naked Fisherman by taxi.  Book lunch and day in advance.

http://nakedfishermanstlucia.com

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
13 hours ago, reedprincess said:

They've always been this high. 

@reedprincess 

Your help please.

Could you kindly assist @19pamela68 in recommending alternative beachside restaurants with a lower price point.  This to get them (plus others who may read) out of a usual tourist rut, taking their dollars further.  It’s a beautiful island with beautiful people, so let’s spread the word and dollars

One does not think NF is expensive for great food, discreet service, plus a wonderful ambiance and views.  It’s the whole memory package that one pays for.  Actually do pay more in other islands for what NF delivers.
Many thanks for your help.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

@reedprincess 

Your help please.

Could you kindly assist @19pamela68 in recommending alternative beachside restaurants with a lower price point.  This to get them (plus others who may read) out of a usual tourist rut, taking their dollars further.  It’s a beautiful island with beautiful people, so let’s spread the word and dollars

One does not think NF is expensive for great food, discreet service, plus a wonderful ambiance and views.  It’s the whole memory package that one pays for.  Actually do pay more in other islands for what NF delivers.
Many thanks for your help.

I did, in my first post. Beach, restaurants,  etc. All much less exoensive than Naked Fisherman and much closer to port. And much more authentically Lucian  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2022 at 5:43 PM, reedprincess said:

Vigie beach.

Walking distance (20-30 minutes), or short cab ride ($10usd one way)

Boardwalk, local restaurants/bar, chairs for rent, lots of natural shade, calm, etc..

Kind of a bummer to miss our main attractions like the Pitons and such, but for a very local beach experience, Vigie is great .

Safe travels.

How is the walk to Vigie beach?   Are you walking along the road?

• 3 weeks later...

@reedprincess We in St. Lucia in two weeks.  It is our favorite island.  We're looking for a friendly day / beach fun place.  I looked at Naked Fisherman but can't figure out how to book a day pass??  Any advice?

(We normally do a water excursion with boat captain we've used for years. We've stayed at Bay Gardens for a week.  If that helps).  

Just looking for a new way to experience St. Lucia with a fun atmosphere while there for a day on a cruise.  Thank you!

ReedPrincess, I recognize your name and I have a question.  I understand St. Lucia (8 of us hope to be back there the first part of February, 2023 after being block twice before) has a Lighthouse. My question. Is the lighthouse where people can "walk/climb" inside, or just visit it from the outside?

On 12/5/2022 at 9:33 PM, jacmo24 said:

@reedprincess We in St. Lucia in two weeks.  It is our favorite island.  We're looking for a friendly day / beach fun place.  I looked at Naked Fisherman but can't figure out how to book a day pass??  Any advice?

(We normally do a water excursion with boat captain we've used for years. We've stayed at Bay Gardens for a week.  If that helps).  

Just looking for a new way to experience St. Lucia with a fun atmosphere while there for a day on a cruise.  Thank you!

You don't need a day pass for Naked Fisherman. Anyone can enjoy the restaurant and all beaches are public. 

You may want to make a reservation, just to secure some space without a wait..

On 12/6/2022 at 4:55 AM, beshears said:

ReedPrincess, I recognize your name and I have a question.  I understand St. Lucia (8 of us hope to be back there the first part of February, 2023 after being block twice before) has a Lighthouse. My question. Is the lighthouse where people can "walk/climb" inside, or just visit it from the outside?

We have two lighthouses.. the one in Vigie by the port, mainly visit outside. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 5:07 AM, reedprincess said:

I did, in my first post. Beach, restaurants,  etc. All much less exoensive than Naked Fisherman and much closer to port. And much more authentically Lucian  

Hi, 

Rather than start a new thread, I was hoping that you could help me with a couple of questions.

We've been to St. Lucia (off of a cruiseship) a couple of times before; having taken a 'Land & Sea Tour' with Herod over a decade ago, and also a 'Sea Tour' with Spencer around seven years ago.

This time, we're thinking that we would like to go to Reduit to spend a few relaxing hours in the area of the beach where Marie's Fish Shack is located.  We're scheduled to be docked in Castries on a Sunday (I presume at Pt. Seraphine). 

Do you know if Marie's Fish Shack is still open, and if so, are they open on Sundays?

Do the local buses run on Sunday?  Where (and how) would be the best place to catch a bus(1A?)/minibus that would take us to the Rodney Bay Mall area; where we could walk down to the beach to Marie's?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Edited by Skai

4 hours ago, Skai said:

Hi, 

Rather than start a new thread, I was hoping that you could help me with a couple of questions.

We've been to St. Lucia (off of a cruiseship) a couple of times before; having taken a 'Land & Sea Tour' with Herod over a decade ago, and also a 'Sea Tour' with Spencer around seven years ago.

This time, we're thinking that we would like to go to Reduit to spend a few relaxing hours in the area of the beach where Marie's Fish Shack is located.  We're scheduled to be docked in Castries on a Sunday (I presume at Pt. Seraphine). 

Do you know if Marie's Fish Shack is still open, and if so, are they open on Sundays?

Do the local buses run on Sunday?  Where (and how) would be the best place to catch a bus(1A?)/minibus that would take us to the Rodney Bay Mall area; where we could walk down to the beach to Marie's?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Marie's will be open (probably, she sets her own schedule and may have personal reasons to be closed your specific Sunday, but generally, she's open Sundays, bug family beach day for Lucians).

Bus service will be very very scarce - drivers work when they want, and most don't want to work Sundays.

The bus stand to Gros Islet (Rodney Bay) is behind the Castries Market, which will be closed on Sunday also. There will also be few few people in town to ask where it is.

Easiest would be a taxi run up to RB, they'll drop you at Spinnakers area and you can hang a left and walk down the beach to Marie's.. $30-35usd one way, and you don't have to go wandering through the empty city, wait around for a bus and rely on one for return with no set schedule (they only leave when they're full).

8 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Marie's will be open (probably, she sets her own schedule and may have personal reasons to be closed your specific Sunday, but generally, she's open Sundays, bug family beach day for Lucians).

Bus service will be very very scarce - drivers work when they want, and most don't want to work Sundays.

The bus stand to Gros Islet (Rodney Bay) is behind the Castries Market, which will be closed on Sunday also. There will also be few few people in town to ask where it is.

Easiest would be a taxi run up to RB, they'll drop you at Spinnakers area and you can hang a left and walk down the beach to Marie's.. $30-35usd one way, and you don't have to go wandering through the empty city, wait around for a bus and rely on one for return with no set schedule (they only leave when they're full).

Thanks for the helpful response.

We're in some ways, budget travelers.

Not so much to imply that we're cheap or stingy, rather we prefer to stretch our hard-earned dollars; hoping to get the most 'bang for our buck'.  We're also finding ourselves ever lagging behind with what we think things ought to/used to cost, versus what inflation currently dictates them to be.😏

It's with that reasoning that we prefer to utilize local public transportation whenever possible during travel.

However, opting for taxis certainly comes into consideration when figuring for time, convenience and reliability.

That all stated...

In your opinion, would it be insulting(these days) to negotiate with a taxi-driver and offer $50(RT) w/ a set time to come pick us up?

The distance is only around 6 miles/15 min., and I would imagine that traffic may be a little sleepier on a Sunday.

Or might that be an invitation for scorn and ridicule?

3 hours ago, Skai said:

Thanks for the helpful response.

We're in some ways, budget travelers.

Not so much to imply that we're cheap or stingy, rather we prefer to stretch our hard-earned dollars; hoping to get the most 'bang for our buck'.  We're also finding ourselves ever lagging behind with what we think things ought to/used to cost, versus what inflation currently dictates them to be.😏

It's with that reasoning that we prefer to utilize local public transportation whenever possible during travel.

However, opting for taxis certainly comes into consideration when figuring for time, convenience and reliability.

That all stated...

In your opinion, would it be insulting(these days) to negotiate with a taxi-driver and offer $50(RT) w/ a set time to come pick us up?

The distance is only around 6 miles/15 min., and I would imagine that traffic may be a little sleepier on a Sunday.

Or might that be an invitation for scorn and ridicule?

Doesn't hurt to try, but don't be upset or whatnot if they say no 

It's a short distance, but given gas, vehicle costs, maintenance and insurance - it's not cheap for a driver to be offering services. 

It's been $30usd for more than 15 years, back when gas was approximately $7.50 a gallon, and gas is currently $17.70xcd a gallon and yet, taxi rates haven't gone up at all in all that time... 

Haggling isn't a big part of Lucian culture, but it doesn't hurt to ask. 

You can try public transport, just go with the knowledge that it's not reliable or set times or such, so plan accordingly - particularly for return as you'll be waiting on a bus with space for you, at a time you'd need to get back by all aboard.. 

Safe travels. 

17 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

It's a short distance, but given gas, vehicle costs, maintenance and insurance - it's not cheap for a driver to be offering services. 

It's been $30usd for more than 15 years, back when gas was approximately $7.50 a gallon, and gas is currently $17.70xcd a gallon and yet, taxi rates haven't gone up at all in all that time... 

You can try public transport, just go with the knowledge that it's not reliable or set times or such, so plan accordingly - particularly for return as you'll be waiting on a bus with space for you, at a time you'd need to get back by all aboard.. 

Safe travels. 

Help please.

Seem to remember, many years ago, there was a shared minibus shuttle service to the Royal  SL.  Think think the rate was $10/12 pp e/w.  With beds for $20 with an umbrella.

Does the shuttle service still run?  This may be of interest to the poster.

2 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Safe travels. 

Thank you again for your help.

One last query...

When we were last in Castries, there was a water-taxi available shuttling people across to the other side of the harbor.  IIRC, it was around $5(USD) pp.

Is that water-taxi service still offered?

4 hours ago, Skai said:

Thank you again for your help.

One last query...

When we were last in Castries, there was a water-taxi available shuttling people across to the other side of the harbor.  IIRC, it was around $5(USD) pp.

Is that water-taxi service still offered?

Yes, on some days. It saves you a 10-12 minutes walk.. 

4 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Help please.

Seem to remember, many years ago, there was a shared minibus shuttle service to the Royal  SL.  Think think the rate was $10/12 pp e/w.  With beds for $20 with an umbrella.

Does the shuttle service still run?  This may be of interest to the poster.

Nope. And Royal is under new management, now Mystique by Royalton.

1 hour ago, Outta My Work Clothes said:

Can you tell me the approx. price to Naked Fisherman from cruise ships? also how long a trip/ and how much trouble for return trip? Thankx in Advance!

Taxi $35 e/w - Takes about 35 minutes, but allow 15 minutes extra if more than one ship in port, because of heavy port traffic.

The outward driver would be pleased to collect at an agreed booked time.  If, but doubtful, a now show, then NF will call a local taxi, be there in minutes.

• Like 1