I MAY SPEND 11 MORE DAYS IN U.S.?

susan1957

15 minutes ago, Ragdollbd said:

You will not be able to fill out the arrivecan app until the 11th day or you have a negative PCR test as the app will not let you move forward to the next screen.  I didn't think it was possible to test negative for months after you test positive.  Just from what I have seen, I have no experience with positive covid tests.

You can. 
I just went to the ArriveCan app and did a mock one. Arriving by air because I think we are clear on driving. And, well, I am flying. 

It asks "Have you tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 10-180 days?" It's the first question.   

If you say yes, it asks if you have proof of a positive test taken between 10-180 days before you flight.

If you say no, it asks if you have a negative test. 

If you say no it tells you you need it and may face a fine but will allow you to continue through. 

(is it just me overthinking now or is that first question confusing as well?)

54 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

You can. 
I just went to the ArriveCan app and did a mock one. Arriving by air because I think we are clear on driving. And, well, I am flying. 

It asks "Have you tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 10-180 days?" It's the first question.   

If you say yes, it asks if you have proof of a positive test taken between 10-180 days before you flight.

If you say no, it asks if you have a negative test. 

If you say no it tells you you need it and may face a fine but will allow you to continue through. 

(is it just me overthinking now or is that first question confusing as well?)

Ok, I will be flying back to Detroit and driving across to Canada as I just live 10 minutes from the border.  When I tried the ArriveCan app it told me I could not return until the 11th day.  Wonder if it's different for flying right into Canada??

1 minute ago, Ragdollbd said:

Ok, I will be flying back to Detroit and driving across to Canada as I just live 10 minutes from the border.  When I tried the ArriveCan app it told me I could not return until the 11th day.  Wonder if it's different for flying right into Canada??

I just tried it again and it looks like you can cross into Canada as long as you show proof you tested positive and have a quarantine plan?  Doesn't say anything about quarantining for 10 days before crossing.

PCR testing is not 100% accurate so you can get a false positive test. If you do test positive on your returning to Canada PCR test I would get a second test done to see if the first was a false positive test. This happened to my son last year. His first test was positive but because no one else in the group he was with tested positive he got a second (and a third test) done . Good thing he got the third test done because his negative results arrived just 30 minutes before his return flight. His second test was negative too, but those results arrived after he was already back in Canada. 

As the the ArriveCan question, I assume he answered correctly, no, to "Have you tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 10-180 days?" as the third test result made test # 1 moot. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

PCR testing is not 100% accurate so you can get a false positive test. If you do test positive on your returning to Canada PCR test I would get a second test done to see if the first was a false positive test. This happened to my son last year. His first test was positive but because no one else in the group he was with tested positive he got a second (and a third test) done . Good thing he got the third test done because his negative results arrived just 30 minutes before his return flight. His second test was negative too, but those results arrived after he was already back in Canada. 

As the the ArriveCan question, I assume he answered correctly, no, to "Have you tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 10-180 days?" as the third test result made test # 1 moot. 

The problem (for me) is the cost of testing.  If you can get a free one, great.  But if you can't. It can be upwards of $300 US for a quicker test.  
And then there is the time to get it back if you don't pay for the faster test. 

1 hour ago, Ragdollbd said:

I didn't think it was possible to test negative for months after you test positive.  Just from what I have seen, I have no experience with positive covid tests.

My husband tested positive with antigen & PCR on 1/13/22 onboard Odyssey and tested negative on antigen and PCR on 1/21/22 in Florida.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

The problem (for me) is the cost of testing.  If you can get a free one, great.  But if you can't. It can be upwards of $300 US for a quicker test.  
And then there is the time to get it back if you don't pay for the faster test. 

I am cruising on a Princess Ship.  PCR testing is free for international passengers on disembarkation right now.  Just hoping my test is negative and I won't have to worry.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1kaper said:

I used the entry wizard.  If you are flying, it IS contradictory.  I copied and pasted above what it said. 

"You will not be able to board a public flight to come to Canada until:

• 15 days have passed"

Driving is different. 

But as pointed out above, there are other places where it says I can come to Canada by air. 

As I said in my post, one must read these pages with care, reading the entire context, interpreting literally and narrowly. I would add that one should always remember that the pages were not written to just address one reader's situation.

Being denied boarding of a public flight does not mean one cannot fly into Canada with a recent positive test. It means one will not be able to board a scheduled commercial flight. On might for example be able use a private charter or use one's own aircraft.

2 hours ago, CKCruising said:

What I posted above is contradictory and on the same page

"Canadians: To avoid being fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges), wait to enter Canada until the 15th day (starting January 15, 2022, 11th day) after your positive test result. If you had symptoms without a positive result, wait until the symptoms have ended and you have a valid negative pre-entry test result."

"If you have symptoms or a positive result, we recommend postponing your travel until you have:

a negative result for a COVID-19 molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled flight to Canada or arriving at the land border; OR"

The first quote says wait 11 days.  The second quote says I can come back after any time with a negative test.

Not knowing the actual context of the two separate quotes I wonder at the assertion that they are contradictory. I don't see anything in the quotes themselves that is actually contradictory, possibly confusing, but not contradictory.

8 minutes ago, broberts said:

As I said in my post, one must read these pages with care, reading the entire context, interpreting literally and narrowly. I would add that one should always remember that the pages were not written to just address one reader's situation.

Being denied boarding of a public flight does not mean one cannot fly into Canada with a recent positive test. It means one will not be able to board a scheduled commercial flight. On might for example be able use a private charter or use one's own aircraft.

The post I shared was literally from the wizard you suggested designed to answer one reader's situation.  It is designed to obtain your particular circumstances - positive test under 10 days old, flying, Canadian citizen and give you the answer for your particular situation. 
It does say "public flight" so that part was clear. Yes. I omitted the private option because I don't know how many here are flying private. 

And it says I cannot (with emphasis) enter Canada within 15 days of a positive test on a public flight.  That alone is incorrect.  But if you read the other pages, that information is different. 

Edited by 1kaper

7 minutes ago, broberts said:

Not knowing the actual context of the two separate quotes I wonder at the assertion that they are contradictory. I don't see anything in the quotes themselves that is actually contradictory, possibly confusing, but not contradictory.

The full context is earlier on this thread.

My contradiction happens when you test positive on a PCR test (call it day 0) and then negative on day 5?  The first quote says you can't enter until day 11, the second says I can enter with the day 5 negative test.

Note that when I say enter, I mean enter without a fine.

Edited by CKCruising
  • Like 1

Just now, CKCruising said:

The full context is earlier on this thread.

My contradiction happens when you test positive on a PCR test (call it day 0) and then negative on day 5?  The first quote says you can't enter until day 11, the second says I can enter with the day 5 negative test.

No, the first quote says to avoid the possibility of a fine. That is quite different than saying you can't enter.

In all of this discussion people seem to be ignoring the fact that Canadians, landed immigrants and others can always enter Canada regardless of test results.

1 minute ago, broberts said:

No, the first quote says to avoid the possibility of a fine. That is quite different than saying you can't enter.

In all of this discussion people seem to be ignoring the fact that Canadians, landed immigrants and others can always enter Canada regardless of test results.

CKCruising mentioned that fact on page 1 in response to my driving question. 

2 minutes ago, broberts said:

What is the fine for?

1 hour ago, broberts said:

So would I be fined (eligible for a fine) in my example of a positive on day 0, a negative on day 5, enter day 6?

hmmm.... worry about when I can return to the cold cold winter of Canada or stay in the Florida sunshine a little bit longer.... hmmmm....  

Also keep in mind should you be able to actually get on the plane (which you probably won't be able to)  to travel and happen to get a fine it is simply that..... a fine... its subject to a challenge... anyone who is challenged or fined over these rules should always be sure and challenge them. There are numerous court cases currently ongoing.  No different than a traffic violation... always should be challenged. 

...and go....

1 hour ago, sayvan said:

hmmm.... worry about when I can return to the cold cold winter of Canada or stay in the Florida sunshine a little bit longer.... hmmmm....  

Also keep in mind should you be able to actually get on the plane (which you probably won't be able to)  to travel and happen to get a fine it is simply that..... a fine... its subject to a challenge... anyone who is challenged or fined over these rules should always be sure and challenge them. There are numerous court cases currently ongoing.  No different than a traffic violation... always should be challenged. 

...and go....

I said in the thread about the people being fined for using the Switch Health test I would have challenged it. But that brings the question, where would it be heard? 
if I had to return to the jurisdiction where the fine was issued, that would be a big deterrent. 

i agree with you in general. Since it is difficult to even figure out what the correct information is, I’d be challenging. 

A different point - I make the same joke about having to stay in Florida. But on the other hand, look at JessyCruises. Her husband tested positive. They stayed and quarantined but she couldn’t really enjoy Florida because she didn’t want to end up picking it up somewhere in Florida. 
With three of us travelling, one a child, staying in the US extra time would only be worth it if we all tested positive and we’re able to enjoy the rest of the period (after the 5 day quarantine). Having some of us negative and some positive may mean extra hotel rooms, extra time there. Or splitting up (positive staying and negative going home). 
it sounds fun in theory but ends up a possible logistical nightmare. 

10 hours ago, Fouremco said:

All of the related travel.gc.ca webpages are in dire need of a rewrite and consolidation. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen while the underlying policy itself is still in a state of flux. 

That's why I follow your posts -- you're on top of everything!  Thank you!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Fouremco said:

All of the related travel.gc.ca webpages are in dire need of a rewrite and consolidation. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen while the underlying policy itself is still in a state of flux. 

And they are all off work with Omicron and isolating for 5 🤔, 10 🤔, or 14 ish days. 

• Haha 2

I was back and forth so many times deciding if I should drive across the border and fly return from Buffalo to LA, or fly directly from Toronto. If I knew I could cross by car post cruise with a positive test (obtained at Buffalo airport prior to crossing back into Canada-) and quarantine at home, that would be great. But as it is currently stands, I just don't want to risk the $5000 fine. If I test positive post cruise I would rather quarantine in LA (on princess's dime lol) and know exactly what I am up for. So, I decided to fly from Toronto and accept what happens down in LA after the cruise. It's the risk I am taking by cruising now, and that is a risk I am prepared to take (I need the vacation 🙂 ). I will prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Labber 2 said:

I was back and forth so many times deciding if I should drive across the border and fly return from Buffalo to LA, or fly directly from Toronto. If I knew I could cross by car post cruise with a positive test (obtained at Buffalo airport prior to crossing back into Canada-) and quarantine at home, that would be great. But as it is currently stands, I just don't want to risk the $5000 fine. If I test positive post cruise I would rather quarantine in LA (on princess's dime lol) and know exactly what I am up for. So, I decided to fly from Toronto and accept what happens down in LA after the cruise. It's the risk I am taking by cruising now, and that is a risk I am prepared to take (I need the vacation 🙂 ). I will prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. 

Does Princess use the Chateau Marmont to house it's Covid cruisers?

Or the Motel 6 in San Pedro? 

😉

Have a great Covid free cruise!

19 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Does Princess use the Chateau Marmont to house it's Covid cruisers?

Or the Motel 6 in San Pedro? 

😉

Have a great Covid free cruise!

oh boy, sure hope its not the Motel 6 in San Pedro 🙂 that would suck lol. I wish I knew which hotels they do use though...