Canadians - Testing Requirements for Returning Home

Hi All,

We have been a number of cruises and love and miss it dearly - so we finally took the plunge and booked Mar 26 on Odyssey because of FCC certificates expiring from a cancelled cruise at the beginning of the covid craziness. The only thing that is driving me a bit insane is trying to figure out all the requirements for Canadians.

My understanding is a Rapid Test is fine to leave to fly to FLL and if we do the test Mar 24, fly down to FLL Mar 25 and board Mar 26 we should be fine. What I can't sort out in my head is how to meet the testing requirements to get home after the cruise since Canada presently requires a PCR test to return via air. I tried to find out if PCR tests are available on board (since its the 8-day Odyssey we finish the cruise with 2 sea days) but I can't find an answer and tried to email royal but haven't heard back. Without a clear answer from them, I am pondering if I need to add a 1 night Sunday stay in FLL so we can do the PCR test after we get off the cruise and have time to get the results. Long story made short - I am lost reading all of the various requirements and options and wondering what my fellow canadians have been doing for testing? Who knows - this all may be moot and maybe they will change the rules by our cruise date since its still a ways away. 

Thanks in advance for any help or advice! (and my canadian side wants to apologize if this has been covered somewhere on here already or if i missed something obvious - so also sorry in advance!)

7 minutes ago, julzcruizes said:

Hi All,

We have been a number of cruises and love and miss it dearly - so we finally took the plunge and booked Mar 26 on Odyssey because of FCC certificates expiring from a cancelled cruise at the beginning of the covid craziness. The only thing that is driving me a bit insane is trying to figure out all the requirements for Canadians.

My understanding is a Rapid Test is fine to leave to fly to FLL and if we do the test Mar 24, fly down to FLL Mar 25 and board Mar 26 we should be fine. What I can't sort out in my head is how to meet the testing requirements to get home after the cruise since Canada presently requires a PCR test to return via air. I tried to find out if PCR tests are available on board (since its the 8-day Odyssey we finish the cruise with 2 sea days) but I can't find an answer and tried to email royal but haven't heard back. Without a clear answer from them, I am pondering if I need to add a 1 night Sunday stay in FLL so we can do the PCR test after we get off the cruise and have time to get the results. Long story made short - I am lost reading all of the various requirements and options and wondering what my fellow canadians have been doing for testing? Who knows - this all may be moot and maybe they will change the rules by our cruise date since its still a ways away. 

Thanks in advance for any help or advice! (and my canadian side wants to apologize if this has been covered somewhere on here already or if i missed something obvious - so also sorry in advance!)

They're not testing onboard anymore for international travel.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/when-to-take-a-test-if-traveling-to-us-from-another-country

We are literally going through this also - except I booked our April cruise when RCCL was still doing on-board testing.   Now that they aren't offering this anymore it's certainly more challenging.   

We are cruising on Symphony out of Miami and have found a clinic where we can get a PCR on a 1 hour turnaround time the morning that we disembark.   I've already booked it and luckily it's on the way to FLL so just requires a quick stop-in.   

My suggestion is to google google google until you can find somewhere that can do a quick PCR the morning you get off.   Pricing, in my experience, is anywhere from $150 - $400.   If all you can find is $400 - it's probably cheaper to stay overnight and get the free NAAT test done at Walgreens/CVS which you can book about 4 days out.

Good luck!    I'm hopeful the gov't will change this ridiculous testing policy - especially in light of the number of people who had Omicron, couldn't get a PCR test, and may continue to test positive on a PCR for months.    Grrrrrrr.

Yeah the 1 hr turn around prices are insane! at 400 each i think we will do the overnight options. Here is hoping they change this policy sooonnnnnnn! It just doesn't make sense they can't accept a rapid test to get back in like they do to get out. Either that or it would be nice if Royal continued to offer it onboard even for a cost! 

38 minutes ago, BND said:

They're not testing onboard anymore for international travel.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/when-to-take-a-test-if-traveling-to-us-from-another-country

Thanks for this - I see the PCR test there "starting" at $130.... its hard to know if that means they will charge more or not for the 1 hr turn around. Unfortunately I sort of want to get this one figured out before we go as it will make a difference to flight bookings and such. I have tentatively blocked a hotel for the post cruise night just in case....ugh

23 minutes ago, Djsmrs said:

We are literally going through this also - except I booked our April cruise when RCCL was still doing on-board testing.   Now that they aren't offering this anymore it's certainly more challenging.   

We are cruising on Symphony out of Miami and have found a clinic where we can get a PCR on a 1 hour turnaround time the morning that we disembark.   I've already booked it and luckily it's on the way to FLL so just requires a quick stop-in.   

My suggestion is to google google google until you can find somewhere that can do a quick PCR the morning you get off.   Pricing, in my experience, is anywhere from $150 - $400.   If all you can find is $400 - it's probably cheaper to stay overnight and get the free NAAT test done at Walgreens/CVS which you can book about 4 days out.

Good luck!    I'm hopeful the gov't will change this ridiculous testing policy - especially in light of the number of people who had Omicron, couldn't get a PCR test, and may continue to test positive on a PCR for months.    Grrrrrrr.

Can you elaborate on the free tests being done at Walgreens/CVS please, I was understanding that was for US citizens only. 

Thanks

2 hours ago, julzcruizes said:

Hi All,

1 hour ago, julzcruizes said:

Yeah the 1 hr turn around prices are insane! at 400 each i think we will do the overnight options. Here is hoping they change this policy sooonnnnnnn! It just doesn't make sense they can't accept a rapid test to get back in like they do to get out. Either that or it would be nice if Royal continued to offer it onboard even for a cost! 

Royal is offering tests post cruise.  They are done on the pier and you get the results e mailed in an hour.  pricing had been listed t $205 but I see that it is now lower.  I had a test done at the pier by Royal in November and had the results in under an hour.  I was through security at the airport by 9:30am.

Have you looked at the new entry requirements for Canada.  International guests arriving will be tested upon arrival and MUST quarantine while awaiting the results which can be 3-5days.

19 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal is offering tests post cruise.  They are done on the pier and you get the results e mailed in an hour.  pricing had been listed t $205 but I see that it is now lower.  I had a test done at the pier by Royal in November and had the results in under an hour.  I was through security at the airport by 9:30am.

Have you looked at the new entry requirements for Canada.  International guests arriving will be tested upon arrival and MUST quarantine while awaiting the results which can be 3-5days.

Oh good to know re the timing/cost at port. 

Yeah my inlaws have done one trip and been through the whole border testing and quarantine routine so we are familiar with it as well. The border testing that I found indicates its still random selection (https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada), but we definitely already have quarantine plans in case - we both work at home already, so not much changes there.

15 minutes ago, julzcruizes said:

Oh good to know re the timing/cost at port. 

Yeah my inlaws have done one trip and been through the whole border testing and quarantine routine so we are familiar with it as well. The border testing that I found indicates its still random selection (https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada), but we definitely already have quarantine plans in case - we both work at home already, so not much changes there.

At Miami or FLL airports Rapid PCR is $159, at the Pier after disembarkation ~ $130, both are saying ~ 1hr. Walgreens, you can drive in with your taxi or Uber, free, use Local Hotel addy, and hearing results can be turned around in a few hours.

Go enjoy your trip!

We drive thru to DTW, so cross the land border there and back, no dealings with the Toronto airport and no need to show any test to board domestic flights with in US, only with the agent at the land crossing. Last two trips, no Questions asked going over, coming back filled out the Can App, have all paper work ready in case, and we got - hope you enjoyed your trip and safe trip home. 

But all depends on the agent and kind of day they are having lol..

2 hours ago, Bronx12 said:

Can you elaborate on the free tests being done at Walgreens/CVS please, I was understanding that was for US citizens only. 

Thanks

No - you just go to the website - you can do an NAAT test - cost is free... the conundrum can be getting an appointment (you get what you pay for)... there is no requirement for you to be a US citizen.

We're in the same boat (so to speak) - cruising in a few weeks, live in Canada.  We have the antigen tests booked for the morning we leave (2 days before the cruise) which RCI tells me will count for the cruise as well.

Coming back we're doing self-testing with rapid LAMP test kits. I found the link through the info that Air Canada has on their site, according to AC, the testing people and the government's site the rapid LAMP tests will be fine for coming back.  2 of our party will be doing theirs onboard prior to coming home, 2 of us are continuing on to spend a few days at WDW and will do ours there.

Price is $149 CAD with some bonus Aeroplan miles.

https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Amberle3 said:

We're in the same boat (so to speak) - cruising in a few weeks, live in Canada.  We have the antigen tests booked for the morning we leave (2 days before the cruise) which RCI tells me will count for the cruise as well.

Coming back we're doing self-testing with rapid LAMP test kits. I found the link through the info that Air Canada has on their site, according to AC, the testing people and the government's site the rapid LAMP tests will be fine for coming back.  2 of our party will be doing theirs onboard prior to coming home, 2 of us are continuing on to spend a few days at WDW and will do ours there.

If you don't mind me asking, how are 2 people in your party getting the PCR test done onboard? Thanks

4 hours ago, julzcruizes said:

Thanks for this - I see the PCR test there "starting" at $130.... its hard to know if that means they will charge more or not for the 1 hr turn around. Unfortunately I sort of want to get this one figured out before we go as it will make a difference to flight bookings and such. I have tentatively blocked a hotel for the post cruise night just in case....ugh

I believe Port Everglades mobile lab is charging $99 pp but that is for the rapid antigen test not sure if they are set up to do the rapid PCR test that you need for Canada.

You may want to set up an appointment with a CVS or Walgreens for a free test that is near the FLL cruise terminal or airport but you won't be able to do that until you get closer to you cruise date or are actually on your cruise to schedule it.    My Walgreens schedules 7 days out and my CVS schedules up to 14 days out.   Seems to vary by location.   

1 hour ago, Amberle3 said:

Hi - this is what we were going to do as well, but I've read a few people are hitting a wall at the border with the tests with certain border guards.   Will you follow up after your cruise to update on how it goes?   

Have an AMAZING cruise!   We sailed in December and it was absolutely spectacular to be away and check out for a week!!!

Royal is "offering" the following Re-entry testing from international travelers headed home. You basically test at the pier on debarkation day and receive results within 30-60 mins. You will be able to make an appt onboard. From the RCCL website:

International Re-Entry Testing Options for Cruises from U.S. Homeports 

Many international travelers will require a negative COVID-19 test result for re-entry into their country of residence. Please see below for options available to you on your sailing.

Be sure to familiarize yourself with your country’s specific requirements prior to scheduling your re-entry test. 

For Sailings Departing On or After February 1, 2022

Optional testing to satisfy your International Re-Entry Testing requirement is offered just outside the terminal after you disembark the ship, through our test provider partners. The cost of testing is the responsibility of the guest, and varies depending on the port, with antigen tests starting at $99 and PCR tests starting at $130. Either test is “swab and go,” and results will be emailed to you within an hour after testing. Once onboard, you will receive further guidance on how to schedule a test appointment.

• You can also make your own arrangements with test providers at the airport, or in the area of the port, such as local pharmacies or clinics. 
  • Like 1

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has used the pier testing, what the experience was like, and whether or not results were received on time.    The conundrum is people don't want to wait until they're on board to book this - the stakes are too big and need to be organised ahead of time.

1 hour ago, Bronx12 said:

If you don't mind me asking, how are 2 people in your party getting the PCR test done onboard? Thanks

None of us are getting a PCR test done, we're all doing the RT-LAMP test.
"This test kit is designed for travellers. The RT-LAMP test is accepted for re-entry into Canada, amongst other countries.

Test for presence of the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, which causes the disease COVID-19. The RT-LAMP Test Kit is a molecular diagnostic test and does not require laboratory processing. It is a self-collected test observed via a telehealth experience."

So the 2 of them that are heading back home right after the cruise will be doing the test onboard in the last few days of the cruise, and the other 2 will be doing it in the hotel at WDW before going home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Djsmrs said:

Hi - this is what we were going to do as well, but I've read a few people are hitting a wall at the border with the tests with certain border guards.   Will you follow up after your cruise to update on how it goes?   

Have an AMAZING cruise!   We sailed in December and it was absolutely spectacular to be away and check out for a week!!!

I will definitely follow up! I'm hoping all goes well with it.

I really did not want the hassle of trying to figure out where to get testing done (for either couple) - this is my vacation and I just want to keep things as easy and stress-free as possible.  Having the test results before getting off the ship or going to the airport just seems easier to me.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all - this has been helpful and I feel like i have some more options vs what I was finding on my own! Again who knows if this will all change in the by end of March, but at least now I feel a bit more sure in making hotel and flight plans. 

18 hours ago, Bronx12 said:

You do the test yourself, and it is proctored via video, so you just need internet and a device with a microphone and camera to do the test while still aboard the ship.

23 hours ago, julzcruizes said:

My understanding is a Rapid Test is fine to leave to fly to FLL and if we do the test Mar 24, fly down to FLL Mar 25 and board Mar 26 we should be fine. What I can't sort out in my head is how to meet the testing requirements to get home after the cruise since Canada presently requires a PCR test to return via air..

We fully understand your circumstances.  We have a group of approximately 100 Canadians going on the Odyssey on March 12th for the same 8-day sailing you will be taking.  Hopefully, Trudeau will change these requirements prior to both your and our trips in March (not likely, but hopefully). 

We are testing Thursday, flying Friday, boarding Saturday (same as you).  We pre-booked our Thursday tests the day before our flights at Rexall already in advance.

People have offered a lot of good information in this thread for you so far.  You may also wish to follow the "Canadian Cruisers" thread since there is a lot of good info there as well that will help you.

35 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

People have offered a lot of good information in this thread for you so far.  You may also wish to follow the "Canadian Cruisers" thread since there is a lot of good info there as well that will help you.

Oh cool I will check it out - haven't been on these boards since 2020 and forgot my original account so started a new one. Gotta find my way around again!

On 1/27/2022 at 10:45 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

You may have put a kink in our plans.  We are sailing Ovation, Seattle to Vancouver. Staying 3 nights in Vancouver and boarding Quantum sailing to Hawaii. Do you know the testing needed to be done arriving in Vancouver and what test to board Quantum.  Waiting 3 -  5 days would be a problem.  We are coming from Calif. and no test is need to fly to Seattle. Long time until Sep. but wife believes  THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS.  TIA

On 1/27/2022 at 5:05 PM, Djsmrs said:

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has used the pier testing, what the experience was like, and whether or not results were received on time.    The conundrum is people don't want to wait until they're on board to book this - the stakes are too big and need to be organised ahead of time.

Did the pier testing last Sunday at Ft Lauderdale, although the tab was picked up by royal, it was fast and efficient. Had the results in about 45 minutes by email. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again even if it is on my dime!

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

You may have put a kink in our plans.  We are sailing Ovation, Seattle to Vancouver. Staying 3 nights in Vancouver and boarding Quantum sailing to Hawaii. Do you know the testing needed to be done arriving in Vancouver and what test to board Quantum.  Waiting 3 -  5 days would be a problem.  We are coming from Calif. and no test is need to fly to Seattle. Long time until Sep. but wife believes  THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS.  TIA

There are a number of things that will play into this.

First and foremost is the fact the Canada's ban on cruise ships does not end until Feb 28, 2022 and I have not heard anything about whether that ban will be lifted or extended and what testing measures will be put in place.

Currently Canada is exempting testing and quarantine for those travelers arriving by boat.  I think that come the end of February you will have a clearer picture of the challenges that you may be faced with.

The cruise lines have not announced testing protocols for any of the Canadian departures.

Who is exempt from arrival testing

• Already recovered: Travellers who provide a positive COVID-19 molecular pre-entry test result, conducted at least 15 and no more than 180 days (starting January 15, 2022, between 11 and 180 days ago) before their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border crossing, are exempt from arrival testing
  • Travellers arriving by boat
  • Children under the age of 5
  • Crew and essential service providers already exempt from arrival testing continue to be exempt