What''s beside #4152 on the Rotterdam

canadarocks

55 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

What's the open space(s) right beside cabin #4152 on the Rotterdam?

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 1.57.21 PM.png

Based on what I've seen with other cabins in the deck plans, it looks like an accessibility cabin that for some reason is not being used.

Edited by MISTER 67

3 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Based on what I've seen with other cabins in the deck plans, it looks like an accessibility cabin that for some reason is not being used.

Surely if it was a cabin of any description then it would be numbered?

• Like 1

@ger_77 is correct.

You end up with a double wide balcony.  4154 has it also (*on Pinnacle class).  See photos here. https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/4154-koningsdam/

Similar situation on Signature Class 4166/ 4168  and Vista Class 4164/ 4166.

Pinnacle Class are even better as the 4th deck balconies are double deep also.  It's HUGE!

I believe these are all now VB's.

You get a Signature Suite sized balcony with a regular Verandah cabin.

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Surely if it was a cabin of any description then it would be numbered?

Not necessarily but this could also be a supply storage area for the cabin stewards, things like tissue and toilet paper, towels etc etc and maybe an ice machine.

As @ger_77said, it is definitely a crew staircase, as we were told when we  had 4154 on the Koningsdam in 2017.  Not sure I would book it again.  There were noises all night as they were using the stairway (right next to my head while I was trying to sleep), also unless I could get extra chairs/loungers for the verandah.  A lot of space but no extra seating.

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Disagree, if you look on the deck plans, there are cabins right above that cabin on all the decks.

Ya know, sometimes stairwells go down, too.  They gotta start somewhere, and end somewhere.  I suspect it starts on deck 4, and goes down, which is into a galley area on deck 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Ya know, sometimes stairwells go down, too.  They gotta start somewhere, and end somewhere.  I suspect it starts on deck 4, and goes down, which is into a galley area on deck 3.

Doesn't make sense, why would it only go up to deck 4? I'm still going with it being a service area, stairscases and elevators on most ships are in the center of the ship but we each have our opinion but If I remember I will check it out when we sail on the Rotterdam on March 20th.

Edited by MISTER 67

15 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Doesn't make sense, why would it only go up to deck 4?

My suspicion is that the area across the hall from there, in the middle of the ship, is the room service galley, so food and supplies come up from the galley below to there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OVgirl said:

And these stairs were used for muster drill previously on the Vista and Signature ships.

It looks like the Pinnacle class ships are configured the same.

Yes, we have used these stairs for muster drill.  On the Koningsdam recently the balcony had two lounge chairs and two regular chairs plus the small table.  The balcony is huge but the outer area near the rail is not covered.  No problems with noise.  

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

On the Eurodam the one closer to the midship is next to a crew area to stage room service dishes and I think the ice maker was there. The room closer to Aft had the staircase mentioned that is used for muster.

The space on Koningsdam was definitely used in some way for preparing to load/unload the ship. We were there in October and it was very quiet except the night before debarkation. That last night we could hear very clear banging from moving large carts or pallets or containers of some sort. Other than 1-2am, we still got a decent nights sleep. I wouldn’t hesitate to book it again. (Note: the area just forward of that was used as the quarantine wing, so traveling forward and aft on that deck wasn’t possible without crossing over to the other side of the shop at an elevator bank. 

2 hours ago, matthewthompson87 said:

The space on Koningsdam was definitely used in some way for preparing to load/unload the ship. We were there in October and it was very quiet except the night before debarkation. That last night we could hear very clear banging from moving large carts or pallets or containers of some sort. Other than 1-2am, we still got a decent nights sleep. I wouldn’t hesitate to book it again. (Note: the area just forward of that was used as the quarantine wing, so traveling forward and aft on that deck wasn’t possible without crossing over to the other side of the shop at an elevator bank. 

Your description sounds exactly like the noises I heard too.  But in my case it happened every night.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Your description sounds exactly like the noises I heard too.  But in my case it happened every night.

Yikes. Out of curiosity, did your itinerary have a lot of port days where they would have been using that more often? (We were a Mex Riviera with only two docked days out of 7.)

20 minutes ago, matthewthompson87 said:

Yikes. Out of curiosity, did your itinerary have a lot of port days where they would have been using that more often? (We were a Mex Riviera with only two docked days out of 7.)

Our cruise was in 2017, the Koningsdam was just a few months old. It was a 14-day Caribbean cruise. There were many other (minor) problems on that cruise.  This was just one of several.  We have sailed Koningsdam since then a couple times (but not in that cabin) and have had great cruises.  So I'm hoping that whatever was going on during our cruise has been taken care of since no one has mentioned this problem with that cabin since.  We did ask about this during our cruise and that's when we were told that area is a cruise stairwell.