Heard anything about Cayman Islands?

finny2

I looked at the link flviking provided.  It states that pre-arrival testing is still required. 

• All travellers over the age of 5 must provide a negative result from a PCR or antigen-detecting rapid diagnostic test no earlier than the day before departure.

I see this as a big problem and logistical nightmare for visiting cruise ships.

40 minutes ago, finny2 said:

Did you get an email from Celebrity announcing it? If so, when?

Yes, Celebrity sent an email on January 21st.

Key West was listed as the replacement. 

The app was showing the old itinerary,

today the app. cruise planner shows

Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel,

Costa Maya(again) 

20 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well all I have to say is while they are closed, I hope they are working on some new docks so that more ships can dock and not tender in.  

Nope, the idea of a cruise pier was soundly defeated.  This was a huge deal in the Caymans, with the government solidly behind the idea, while most citizens were opposed.  The opposition was strong enough to result in a referendum being held, and the idea voted down. 

If and when Cayman returns as a cruise port, it will be a tender port.

Harris

Denver, CO

On our Apex cruise departing from FLL on April 2, the Grand Cayman shore excursions have been marked as "sold out" one by one over the last few days, leaving only a handful excursions available for booking. We were three persons booked on a stingray excursion, which was cancelled Thursday evening, then marked as "sold out" in PCP. I immideately booked another stingray excursion, but this was also cancelled within an hour, and marked as "sold out" (mind you it was fully available for booking less than an hour earlier!). I currently have yet another stingray excursion booked, which hasn't been cancelled yet, but I can see where this is going. The two former excursions are now not available/visible in the PCP at all, together with several other excursions (including the helicopter flight).

Just for backup, I have also booked a stingray excursion in Bimini, in case Grand Cayman (expectedly) gets scrapped.

9 hours ago, mikkelhansen said:

On our Apex cruise departing from FLL on April 2, the Grand Cayman shore excursions have been marked as "sold out" one by one over the last few days, leaving only a handful excursions available for booking. We were three persons booked on a stingray excursion, which was cancelled Thursday evening, then marked as "sold out" in PCP. I immideately booked another stingray excursion, but this was also cancelled within an hour, and marked as "sold out" (mind you it was fully available for booking less than an hour earlier!). I currently have yet another stingray excursion booked, which hasn't been cancelled yet, but I can see where this is going. The two former excursions are now not available/visible in the PCP at all, together with several other excursions (including the helicopter flight).

Just for backup, I have also booked a stingray excursion in Bimini, in case Grand Cayman (expectedly) gets scrapped.

For our Edge cruise March 27, it still shows all excursions available for Grand Cayman. I doubt we will be stopping there. 

Here are the latest requirments for cruise ships to port in GC that I could find for the local government:

- Grand Cayman must be the first port of call.

- Passenger capacity is limited to a maximum of 1,600 representing 60% capacity of the vessel.

- All guests and crew having the final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise.

- All guests must have a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 2 days of their embarkation.

- All guests and crew going ashore must observe local requirements for wearing the require PPE such as facial masks and 6 feet physical distancing.

- No unwell guests or crew will be allowed ashore.

This was as of the end of December so it could have changed since then.

The Caymans also have an ongoing Covid problem.   With their International banking and businesses the Caymans as said do not need day cruisers. 

As of today the rules have not changed.  The Caymans were one of the first to close and probably will be one of the last to fully open

Just now, Arizona Wildcat said:

The Caymans also have an ongoing Covid problem.   With their International banking and businesses the Caymans as said do not need day cruisers. 

As of today the rules have not changed.  The Caymans were one of the first to close and probably will be one of the last to fully open

Grand Caymen had also reversed plans about building a pier for cruise ships. 

A few years ago they were planning to build one after cruise lines informed them that larger ships would not be stopping due to the difficulties in tendering.  A few months ago they announced that plans to build a pier have been scrapped.

A clear sign that even when they open up they really do not want ever increasing numbers of cruise ship passengers.

This island country is making so much money in the banking industry it has no need for day visitors.   If you are sheltering your money there and want to personally visit your financial institution you will find grand places to stay and upscale shopping.   Visited there on a small cruise ship once and remember a turtle farm and a post office in a place called “Hell”.   They did sell tortoise shell items but these are illegal to bring into the U.S.     It s certainly not a normal cruise port although the seven mile beach is nice if you are into sea and sunning.

On 1/28/2022 at 2:13 PM, omeinv said:

Nope, the idea of a cruise pier was soundly defeated.  This was a huge deal in the Caymans, with the government solidly behind the idea, while most citizens were opposed.  The opposition was strong enough to result in a referendum being held, and the idea voted down. 

If and when Cayman returns as a cruise port, it will be a tender port.

Harris

Denver, CO

well so sorry to hear that.

Caymans is all about banks I guess and they don't want ships near them.  Too bad for the snottiness of it all.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well so sorry to hear that.

Caymans is all about banks I guess and they don't want ships near them.  Too bad for the snottiness of it all.

Been there once on a cruise many years ago.  While I would not NOT book a cruise because it stops there, I'd never get off the ship, BORING!

17 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Been there once on a cruise many years ago.  While I would not NOT book a cruise because it stops there, I'd never get off the ship, BORING!

I usually go to my regular eatery - Hard rock cafe and look at shops.   Long time ago I did the turtle farm and that was enough.