Port of Miami

siren

We are thinking of driving and parking at the port.  We usually do a sleep/park/cruise package but the prices are so outrageous now.  Can anyone tell me how difficult is it to drive around Miami??  We will be coming down 75 (alligator alley).  My husband is not good with directions and panics easily when he doesn't know where he is going!!  No way will he let me drive...lol

I'm going there

Why not just use google maps as a GPS to get you there. Or Waze GPS map? These apps usually will give you pictures with plenty of time to tell you what lane to be in and when to make turns, etc.

Give it a test drive around your local town to get used to it. Even if you know the directions by heart.

If you don't know how to use these devices, ask for help from the grandkids or such. You taught them how to pee in the toilet, they'll be happy to teach you some technology.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Haha 1

If you use google maps(and probably the other apps), I'd still have a printout if you aren't comfortable with the route. We've been in Miami a few times, and there's places where the GPS "gets lost". Seems to happen when a surface road crosses under a highway. It'll think it's on the other road and start recalculating right when you are trying to figure out what ramp or road you are trying to turn on.

If you are driving straight to the port from outside of downtown, it shouldn't be too bad though. Just take 75 to 95 south then follow the highway signs to the port. 

Here’s a novel idea…come across Florida to West Palm Beach or Ft L and take the Brightline commuter train to Miami. Both stations have parking garages, trains run approx every hour, and there is a free ride to the port from the Miami station. The driving distance wouldn’t be all that different. It might take you a little longer but you wouldn’t need to drive in Miami. Google Brightline. 

• Like 1

It’s not a difficult city to drive around if you are used to traveling in larger cities. But it has some of the worst drivers I’ve seen in my travels. The times we have driven in for a cruise, there were more wrecks along the way than anywhere else on the drive thru FL. Miami seems to be filled with retirees meandering their way thru, and younger drivers thinking they are driving the track at Bristol. 😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, siren said:

We are thinking of driving and parking at the port.  We usually do a sleep/park/cruise package but the prices are so outrageous now.  Can anyone tell me how difficult is it to drive around Miami??  We will be coming down 75 (alligator alley).  My husband is not good with directions and panics easily when he doesn't know where he is going!!  No way will he let me drive...lol

We drove to Miami but ended up using park/cruise at Hyatt Place Airport East. Its only $100 above the nightly rate. We ubered to the port for about $20, but got there when we wanted with a simple drop off and onto ship in 20 minutes or less. We parked right in front of hotel at check-in and when we asked where to park for the week + they said to just leave it there and put a card on dash. Easiest park/cruise ever.

• Like 1

Getting to the port is easy and with the tunnel off of 95 you don’t even have to drive into Miami.  

Take Alligator Alley to 595 to 95 south.  Assuming you have the sun pass you can take the express lanes on 95 which I would highly suggest.