Symphony returns!! Live 1/29/22

jcandjf

Currently sailing with over 3400 people!! Symphony is back and looks terrific- last cruised on this ship 4/2019. 

things to know……

-Quick walk on/check-in at 1pm using the suite entrance. 

-New reservation system on the ship was not fully working today. No one could book shows or anything through the app. Waited in line for over an hour in the suite lounge to get my shows booked.

-Windjammer at 1pm was packed- every other table was unavailable for social distancing. Had some Indian dishes for lunch which were fantastic!

-By 2pm, Coastal Kitchen had no dinner reservations available at all for the entire  week. And by 1:30pm, there were no 7pm reservations available the entire week at any specialty restaurant. I’m sure there will be some cancellations but book early if you can.

-Hairspray a no go this week. Have a slew of entertainers singer, comedians, ventriloquist to fill the gap. Hiro and 1977 are running. 

-At tonights dinner in MDR, they appear to be using mainly the 4th floor with some diners using 3rd floor at 8pm.

-Dennis is cruise director. 

-Mark Preston formerly of the Letterman was the main entertainment tonight.  Knows how to sing and work the crowd with some old (mostly) and new hits. Think Vegas……

Overall impression is that it is busier than what has been reported on the other Oasis ships the past couple of weeks. I wasn’t ready for it!!!  Usually have everything  booked or planned before getting on the ship. 

Not sure how much I will be posting but wanted to get this info out as the previous live posts have been so helpful to me.

-

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 8:20 PM, jcandjf said:

Currently sailing with over 3400 people!! 

-By 2pm, Coastal Kitchen had no dinner reservations available at all for the entire  week. 

Sorry you couldn't get reservations at CK. Was there a long line to make reservations at CK? 

Could the suite concierge (when he emailed) help you make resrrvations?

Happy sailing!

14 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Sorry you couldn't get reservations at CK. Was there a long line to make reservations at CK? 

Could the suite concierge (when he emailed) help you make resrrvations?

Happy sailing!

On our aborted 1/8 Symphony sailing the concierge was able to get us reservations at CK when I emailed him four days in advance. From the OP's account of the situation it seems like waiting to make reservations after boarding is risky.

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 11:20 PM, jcandjf said:

Currently sailing with over 3400 people!! Symphony is back and looks terrific- last cruised on this ship 4/2019. 

-New reservation system on the ship was not fully working today. No one could book shows or anything through the app. Waited in line for over an hour in the suite lounge to get my shows booked.

-Windjammer at 1pm was packed- every other table was unavailable for social distancing. Had some Indian dishes for lunch which were fantastic!

-Hairspray a no go this week. Have a slew of entertainers singer, comedians, ventriloquist to fill the gap. Hiro and 1977 are running. 

Overall impression is that it is busier than what has been reported on the other Oasis ships the past couple of weeks. I wasn’t ready for it!!!  Usually have everything  booked or planned before getting on the ship. 

Not sure how much I will be posting but wanted to get this info out as the previous live posts have been so helpful to me.

I am on the ship as well and 3436 is the passenger count according to Dennis the CD. (so 66% of double occupancy) After reading about recent Oasis class sailings being closer to 2500 I was a little surprised. It doesn’t feel super crowded but it doesn’t feel low capavity either. If there was 2000 to 3200 more passengers on here this ship would feel crowded I think.

This my first time on an Oasis class ship and I really like it. I thought I would hate Central Park but I like it it. I love the boardwalk area. 

Our 1st day lunch was at Sorrentos and we sat there and made reservations for shows using the app and didn’t have any issues.

We’ve now seen 1977 ice show, Mark Preston, and both the comedians. We have Hiro tonight and flight later this week.

I was surprised by the number of kids on this sailing and there also appears to be a lot larger than normal LGB population. (specifically G) Not sure if there is a group cruise or something.

Overall I sm very satisfied thus far and not sure how often I will check in during the cruise.

• Like 1

I’m glad to hear the ship looks good and you are enjoying. I am disappointed to hear over 3,400 passengers as well since all other ships have been significantly lower 🙁. I am on next week too. I know you said they had distancing in the windjammer, do you know about traditional dining room? Thank you! 

Ok I’m back to answer questions- was in the MDR on first night- not as much social distancing there. First and second seating are on 3rd floor and MTD is on the fourth which was pretty packed.  

Meal service seems faster than I remember it. We use to have long dinners in MDR was out in under an hour the first night. Also service at 150 Park Cafe tonight was fast.

Definitely make CK reservations before getting on the ship. Have been on the waitlist past two nights with no luck.

Weather was 77 and windy today. We are in the CLS and the wind is really blowing us around. Seas were as high as 15 feet our first night out of Miami and mid 50s when leaving. 60s the first full day.  Weather looks much better from here on out. I was in my sweatshirt the first 2 days but I tend to be cold.

This is my 8th cruise on RCCL 4th on an Oasis class ship and it really feels pretty normal (minus the masking) outside of some social distancing efforts, buffet food served by staff and the pool not jammed with lounge chairs. Very easy to get a seat by the pool even with reduced lounge chairs.

Attended 1977 where there was a section for vaccinated pax and unvax pax(children).  Vax pax no social distancing but unvax lots of room between seats.

Lots of crew on board so service is excellent. And crew is so happy to have us back😃😃

Edited by jcandjf
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, jcandjf said:

Attended 1977 where there was a section for vaccinated pax and unvax pax(children).  Vax pax no social distancing but unvax lots of room between seats.

Unvaccinated guests having better seat options at Studio B and even more so at Aqua Theater is some BS. They literally get the front center section at Aqua Theater.

And this wristband is a pain too. Scan my card or something instead.

On 1/30/2022 at 7:37 AM, jcandjf said:

I was contacted by suite concierge one week before our cruise but never tried to contact them to set up reservations.  

Our last 2 on Symphony (Sept /Nov) we were not allowed to book any reservations prior to embarkation.

Got the email from concierge about a week or so before sailing . 

we had 3k and then 3500 . The difference of just 500 was not noticeable 

8 hours ago, NightOne said:

Unvaccinated guests having better seat options at Studio B and even more so at Aqua Theater is some BS. They literally get the front center section at Aqua Theater.

And this wristband is a pain too. Scan my card or something instead.

We have noticed this trend on the Adventure and the grandeur of more seating available in the MDR plus the ice shows on Adventure for unvaccinated but more so the MDR.  There would be lines on the Adventure in November where people were on top of each other and unvaccinated area was empty.  Looks like we will be using our 3 meal plan and hoping Windjammer is open for dinner in 3 weeks.  We have a boardwalk balcony cabin 8329 and probably won't go to the ice skating show.  Will play the non musical shows by ear.