Princess Cruises changes Captain's Circle benefits and eliminates free WiFi minutes

ronvoyage

29 minutes ago, snaebyllej said:

Oh.  I didn't know about it, either.  I guess we're required to visit every board, once a day?

It all depends on if you like surprises or not.

Personally, when I'm going to spend more than a few days on a ship, I like to know what to expect.

Our cruise experience has improved dramatically, thanks to the various tips and bits of info shared here by other members.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, ronvoyage said:

members are now given a 50% discount, but the rate on the ship is 25% higher than if bought prior to boarding. 

What is the charge for 1 device onboard, before the 50% discount??  Also, is the OBC given as a discount, refundable or non-refundable?

Thank you.

Just was on the Majestic Princess and was surprised as an "elite" Captain's Circle member I was charged for WiFi. Free minutes are gone. Seems like I could have bought a 1 or 4 device WiFi package at a lower rate if I would have purchased it before boarding the ship. The new "benefit" is elite and platinum

members are now given a 50% discount, but the rate on the ship is 25% higher than if bought prior to boarding. Princess takes pride that their "Loyalty" program has excellent benefits. and I wonder if cruisers would continue their commitment if a higher number of days included a WiFi program for the length of the cruise. Free laundry is the gold standard once you were "elite" and is still given. How about a one devise WiFi program being included at 300 days and a four devise WiFi program at 450 days. Other cruise lines have more levels in their loyalty programs. Any thoughts??

Rip Van Winkle?

Just was on the Majestic Princess and was surprised as an "elite" Captain's Circle member I was charged for WiFi. Free minutes are gone. Seems like I could have bought a 1 or 4 device WiFi package at a lower rate if I would have purchased it before boarding the ship. The new "benefit" is elite and platinum

members are now given a 50% discount, but the rate on the ship is 25% higher than if bought prior to boarding. Princess takes pride that their "Loyalty" program has excellent benefits. and I wonder if cruisers would continue their commitment if a higher number of days included a WiFi program for the length of the cruise. Free laundry is the gold standard once you were "elite" and is still given. How about a one devise WiFi program being included at 300 days and a four devise WiFi program at 450 days. Other cruise lines have more levels in their loyalty programs. Any thoughts??

It's too bad if you were not offered the pre-cruise prince on DAY 1.  Princess policy was supposed to be this because the MC App only offers full price for the time being and you get the 50% back as OBC.  If you were charged $15/pp/day instead of $10/pp/day (that's 50% more BTW), then you were over-charged and it should have been appealed to the IT Mgr.  If you are still on the ship, raise the issue with that person.  Raise it with the Captain's Circle Host.  If anyone gives you a hard time, suggest they check with HQ Customer Relations.  You can write them yourself.

The regular price for the prepaid one devise is $10 per day or $20 per day for four devises. If you want two plans the four devise plan is the same cost as two 2 devise plans. If you are platinum or elite you get a 50% discount. If bought onboard the price is 25% higher, but you can use OBC to pay for the WiFi. Princess says " Discount only available to Captain’s Circle Platinum and Elite guests, for MedallionNet® Wi-Fi packages on sailings embarking after July 24, 2021. MedallionNet® Wi-Fi packages purchased pre-cruise will be discounted on board and the guest will receive a refund credit in their folio. Discount is not combinable with any other MedallionNet Wi-Fi offers, discounts, or promotions. Discount is not transferable and has no cash value."

Last week on the 7 day cruise on the Majestic we had $450 OBC, so we didn't prepay the WiFi, but it cost 25% more. Prepay for 7 day four devise rate is $140 and we paid $87.50 onboard, but used OBC. On our next 20 day cruise on the Enchanted we don't have as much OBC, so we'll prepay $400 for four devises and hope to get $200 credited to our account. Hope this makes sense. I believe the WiFi OBC is refundable, but time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

It's too bad if you were not offered the pre-cruise prince on DAY 1.  Princess policy was supposed to be this because the MC App only offers full price for the time being and you get the 50% back as OBC.  If you were charged $15/pp/day instead of $10/pp/day (that's 50% more BTW), then you were over-charged and it should have been appealed to the IT Mgr.  If you are still on the ship, raise the issue with that person.  Raise it with the Captain's Circle Host.  If anyone gives you a hard time, suggest they check with HQ Customer Relations.  You can write them yourself.

I agree with your information above, but that's not what happened on the Majestic. I talked with everyone you suggested and was told the only rate available onboard was $87.50 and I should have prepaid $70 for a 4 devise plan on a seven day cruise, which is a 50% discount. The Princess app has issues too and should identify me as elite and offer the discounted rate, but that isn't the case. I hope Princess figures out WiFi is causing issues with high day Elite CC members.

2 hours ago, snaebyllej said:

Oh.  I didn't know about it, either.  I guess we're required to visit every board, once a day?

Another way to find out was at Princess.com.  Also, they emailed all of us about the changes to Captain's Circle benefits.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ronvoyage said:

I agree with your information above, but that's not what happened on the Majestic. I talked with everyone you suggested and was told the only rate available onboard was $87.50 and I should have prepaid $70 for a 4 devise plan on a seven day cruise, which is a 50% discount. The Princess app has issues too and should identify me as elite and offer the discounted rate, but that isn't the case. I hope Princess figures out WiFi is causing issues with high day Elite CC members.

I have written a couple of folks at PCL HQ that I have had discussion with previously in regards to MedallionNet and how it is ordered, charged, and credited for clarification and will report back here. 

1 hour ago, taznremmy said:

What is the charge for 1 device onboard, before the 50% discount??  Also, is the OBC given as a discount, refundable or non-refundable?

Thank you.

I feel like I have posted this a dozen times here on CC Princess threads, but here goes again:

PRE-CRUISE

Single Device = $10/day

Four Devices = $20/day

ON-BOARD

Single Device = $15/day

Four Devices = $25/day

ON-BOARD

Individual Days = $20/day

Elite and Platinum level members get 50% off the posted prices above. 

If you order Pre-Cruise, the MC App is charging you full cost and you receive the 50% discount as Refundable OBC.  If you order on-board, your folio is charge the net 50%.

A recent development I have read, is that Princess phone reps have the ability to check a box or do something to apply your status if you phone in to order MedallionNet and you can be charged the net cost and not worry about OBC.

Also, the IT Team has a project to update the MC App to recognize your level (it already knows your CC Member Level) and auto-apply the discount so you are only charged the 50% cost in advance.

One final point - due to the MC App issues and difficulty in contacting Princess these days, they were supposed to be offering the pre-cruise price on Day 1, but that seems to be inconsistent at best in recent days and I am trying to re-verify this policy.  I think it may be certain ships not complying, but IDK for sure.  I think a guest who is unable to pre-order has a case to be offered the lower pricing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ronvoyage said:

We could have another discussion on the app and how it works or doesn't work. 

We could but let's not. There are a hundred threads on this, as well as plenty about changes to Elite benefits.

12 hours ago, SKCruiser007 said:

Yes, it's quite easy to switch devices. I used the one-device plan last week on my phone, my husband's phone (which was the only on which we could load the app,) my ChromeBook and a laptop. All devices were being used for different things, but not at the same time.

Thanks SKcruiser007, good to hear that we can use different devices using 1 device plan if we dont use it at the same time.🙂