Should I cancel or cruise solo?

J41DP

Just looking into what it's actually like to cruise by yourself I've always went with a significant other... But now it's gonna be me or nothing. Going in September possibly could move it to May with my vacation schedule but idk.

What's it like?

Solo is usually how I go.  I've always had a great time and never felt ALONE.

It's great not to have to hear, "What are WE doing today.?"

I was nervous the first time but now it's my preferred way to go!

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, sgttami said:

Solo is usually how I go.  I've always had a great time and never felt ALONE.

It's great not to have to hear, "What are WE doing today.?"

I was nervous the first time but now it's my preferred way to go!

I guess I usually did that anyways! Maybe that's why I'm going solo this time 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I have been solo cruising for years, and for me, it’s the only way to travel. I can do what I want, when I want, socialize, or not socialize. 
I think, once you get over your first solo cruise jitters, you will be hooked.

I know a lot complain about single supplement, but I look at a daily charge. What would I pay if I got a hotel for a week, purchased meals a day, and then paid for other activities? I would get much more on a cruise. So go for it!

• Like 9

I get the trepidation, but I say go for it!!!  Would you have more fun at home not going?  Hopefully not...September will have less children then May so maybe more singles...I hear shorter cruises have more singles than longer ones...I am traveling with some single ladies in March 40s age range I'll let you know how it pans out...

I will say this, both my parents are born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA and I have never ever encountered more friendly nice people then when I go back to Pittsburgh so if you are anything like those I meet in PA you will do just fine having a blast!!!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

I get the trepidation, but I say go for it!!!  Would you have more fun at home not going?  Hopefully not...September will have less children then May so maybe more singles...I hear shorter cruises have more singles than longer ones...I am traveling with some single ladies in March 40s age range I'll let you know how it pans out...

I will say this, both my parents are born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA and I have never ever encountered more friendly nice people then when I go back to Pittsburgh so if you are anything like those I meet in PA you will do just fine having a blast!!!

Talk about confidence! Lol Yeah I'll probably go for it. 6 day to Bermuda from New York in September here we go.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, J41DP said:

Talk about confidence! Lol Yeah I'll probably go for it. 6 day to Bermuda from New York in September here we go.

I'm doing my 1st solo trip next month out of NY on the cruise line someone else  mentioned earlier, after 50+ cruises it's gonna feel wierd, but life goes on..🛳️🛳️

• Like 1

I've done both, and each has its value.

When cruising with my husband, we enjoying dancing and shows, plus all of the other activities around the ship.

When I cruise solo, I can set my own agenda.  Trivia...which hubby isn't a huge fan of.  I read a great book without interruption.  I can nap whenever I want.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, J41DP said:

Hop on Match.com.  You have 7 months to possibly find someone.  Can't be that hard, especially if you put the free cruise carrot on the end of your virtual stick.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SNJCruisers said:

Hop on Match.com.  You have 7 months to possibly find someone.  Can't be that hard, especially if you put the free cruise carrot on the end of your virtual stick.

OMG...so my friend just told me a similar story...hes single, he won a cruise at work and spur of the moment he invited some bartender who he didn't know to join him....she went, literally put her bag in the room and he NEVER saw her again, she didn't even return for her bag....lol.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

OMG...so my friend just told me a similar story...hes single, he won a cruise at work and spur of the moment he invited some bartender who he didn't know to join him....she went, literally put her bag in the room and he NEVER saw her again, she didn't even return for her bag....lol.....

Wait...huh? Does he even know if she's still alive?

• Haha 1

Just now, cruizergal70 said:

Wait...huh? Does he even know if she's still alive?

Yeah after like a month she finally replies back that "he can keep her bag"...lol.....and I think he asked her where she slept, and her reply was "I made friends"...LOL....

• Haha 3

Solo cruising is the best cruise there is (the cat’s out of the bag as solo cruisers are everywhere now) 😎…there is complete freedom to do what you want, when you want.  No sharing a bathroom…stay up all night or sleep all day with no one to contend with but yourself.  I also enjoy vacationing with my husband, but I actually prefer to cruise solo.

Can’t help you with wether you will meet someone on board….I know it happens, but I’ve never been looking. 🤫 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, famof4togo said:

Yeah after like a month she finally replies back that "he can keep her bag"...lol.....and I think he asked her where she slept, and her reply was "I made friends"...LOL....

So bizarre.  Obviously a blind date, but why would she drop off her bag in the cabin and split?  If he was such a turn off to her she could have just checked in and never gone to the cabin.  

Many women have the power physically and mentally to "make friends", but the pieces of this puzzle just don't seem to add up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

So bizarre.  Obviously a blind date, but why would she drop off her bag in the cabin and split?  If he was such a turn off to her she could have just checked in and never gone to the cabin.  

Many women have the power physically and mentally to "make friends", but the pieces of this puzzle just don't seem to add up.

Yeah weird to say the least but I think that's what you get when you invite a strange bartender on a weekend getaway that you just met....I'm hoping he keeps his "1st dates" to a quite drink hence forth LOL

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

That's probably not a bad idea at all 😅

My first 6 or so cruises were solo.  I treated them as scouting expeditions to determine if I wanted to return to a port as a couple for a land vacation.  I discovered many ports were worthy of extra time - inc. some that posters on cruise critic generally deride like Jamaica.

Be aware that there are solo and single designations, and cruise critic has threads for each in its specialized portion.  The difference is non looking vs. "possibilities."