Enclave thoughts?

Captain k

Well, what are your thoughts or recent experiences in using the enclave due to the virus?  Heading out on the Sky soon and have not done previously.  Looks really inviting, but inside and warm seems not to be a good combo?  Also, doing a B2B , so would you consider doing one week or the other or both?  Thanks for your input.

We did a back to back on the Sky in December and had the Enclave for both weeks.  I think we got "Enclave fatigue" and didn't do it as much the second week as we did the first.

I LOVE the Enclave but get very frustrated at times.  People are in there on their tablets and phones (once with the sound up!!) and if there's a group they will sometimes talk loudly to each other with no regard that it's supposed to be a quiet place.  (When the "jets" are on for the pool, people have to talk loudly to hear each other when they shouldn't be talking at all.)  

But they also didn't seem to control the crowds at all.  I would have expected them to limit the number of people in there at any time because of Covid (no one wears a mask but you do stay pretty far from each other). There were the normal "chair hogs" in the Enclave who throw their towel on the heated lounger and then go in the pool and saunas for an extended time so no one else can use them.  (don't get me started).  But overall, it got too crowded for my comfort at times for "Covid times'.

In summary, we enjoyed it on the first leg but didn't need the second.  The above annoyances are my own problem and one of the reasons that I probably won't do it any more.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

We did a back to back on the Sky in December and had the Enclave for both weeks.  I think we got "Enclave fatigue" and didn't do it as much the second week as we did the first.

I LOVE the Enclave but get very frustrated at times.  People are in there on their tablets and phones (once with the sound up!!) and if there's a group they will sometimes talk loudly to each other with no regard that it's supposed to be a quiet place.  (When the "jets" are on for the pool, people have to talk loudly to hear each other when they shouldn't be talking at all.)  

But they also didn't seem to control the crowds at all.  I would have expected them to limit the number of people in there at any time because of Covid (no one wears a mask but you do stay pretty far from each other). There were the normal "chair hogs" in the Enclave who throw their towel on the heated lounger and then go in the pool and saunas for an extended time so no one else can use them.  (don't get me started).  But overall, it got too crowded for my comfort at times for "Covid times'.

In summary, we enjoyed it on the first leg but didn't need the second.  The above annoyances are my own problem and one of the reasons that I probably won't do it any more.

I agree with this ,one man was watching Music Videos on U Tube ...unbelievable..volume up I could hear from across the room.

• Like 1

One additional note: if you are interested in doing the couples week-long package, Princess offers a discount if you pre-cruise, but if you wait until after boarding they will not honor the discount. If memory serves, the discounted price was $219/couple for the week but the on-board price was $169/person for the week (might have been $149 now that I think of it, but $169 sticks in my mind).

And I agree about the crowding. I actually asked when we initially signed up if they were limiting the numbers of people permitted in the Enclave at one time due to Covid, and they said yes. The first few visits, it seemed as if they were only admitting a maximum of 12 people, which happened to be the number of heated ceramic loungers. But, as the cruise went on, this was clearly not the case, and it was frequently very crowded, especially on sea days.

We purchased the couple's pass, pre-cruise, for our cruise last week on Majestic and we loved it. We went all but one day to use the hydro-therapy pool and sauna. I think it helped us focus on a healthy lifestyle onboard because we felt so good. We ate less and even used the bikes in the fitness center. When we are next on Princess, we'll definitely do this again.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, nini said:

It seems like there would be "ground rules" in the Enclave, stating that this is an area of quiet and retreat", etc.

I think most understand intuitively. A friendly reminder at the front desk certainly wouldn’t hurt, though. I was lucky; it was never crowded for me and I only had two screaming groups. I believe my sitting up, removing the towel from over my eyes and letting out a loud sigh did the trick one time. Someone in that group of four figured it out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kmkub said:

I think most understand intuitively. A friendly reminder at the front desk certainly wouldn’t hurt, though. I was lucky; it was never crowded for me and I only had two screaming groups. I believe my sitting up, removing the towel from over my eyes and letting out a loud sigh did the trick one time. Someone in that group of four figured it out.

Good work! Paying money for this will require some serious thought. We have OBC to spend in May.

15 hours ago, Kmkub said:

In my experience it used to be the case that most guests understood that the Enclave (and Thermal Suite on other ships) was intended as a quiet, relaxing space, and I believe they used to remind guests of this when they signed up, but no more. As with many "rules and guidelines" (such as chair hogging and masking these days), the crew seems reluctant to take any action when passengers don't follow the rules, which I understand to some degree; they didn't sign up to be the "rule police". Nor should guests be expected to be the police, either, though. But, it seems the general trend these days toward self-centeredness and utter disregard for others has spilled over into the Enclave. There is a small sign indicating that it is a quiet space, but it gets little notice. In fact, one afternoon when I was there a woman admonished the group in the whirlpool about the noise they were making and pointed to the sign, and they literally mocked and shouted her down. It was deplorable. I know I sound like an old fogey whose next words will be "get off my lawn", but I was just really disappointed in the behavior of many guests in the Enclave during our last cruise. It was not the majority of guests, to be sure, but in that space even a small number of rude people can adversely affect the experience of the other guests. I have always found the Enclave a peaceful and rejuvenating experience in the past, and I had never experienced such behavior there before. Our recent experience was disheartening, as I fear it does not bode well for the future. Sorry. Mini-rant over. I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion. 😉

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere
  • Like 3

I found the Envlave a beautiful, relaxing space. But then people would come in with their tablets or Kindles and spend what seemed like hours reading on the heated loungers... on a ship 35% full there shouldn't have been an issue with loungers but there was at times. Not sure I'd pay for it on a full ship if they aren't going to enforce the regulations already in place. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2022 at 8:16 PM, Kmkub said:

Never be afraid to let out a loud 'shush', or 'woild you keep the noise down please'

On 2/3/2022 at 3:56 AM, KIMMER322 said:

I found the Envlave a beautiful, relaxing space. But then people would come in with their tablets or Kindles and spend what seemed like hours reading on the heated loungers.

What rule or regulation do I violate by reading on my Kindle in the Enclave.?  Please educate me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have never used the enclave, feeling that at $30 per day (per couple) we would need to use it for a few hours a day to make it worthwhile.  So, if we did, I would certainly plan to bring a kindle and lay in one of those heated beds for an hour or two.  Is that not what they are for?

If you are supposed to move along in 30 min or under, then certainly, to us, we would not find value in the enclave.  I assumed it was a place to relax, unwind, and forget about time.

Don

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 8:45 AM, DUCHESSRN said:

I did Enclave last week on Majestic....I have a bad back and only used the beds ...I did enjoy it but windows would have been lovely . Also floor can be slippery .

We really enjoyed the spa facilities on a Carnival ship, so we looked the enclave over. That lack of windows was a deal-breaker for me. The Carnival ship facilities were on a high deck forward and had lots of big windows.

22 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

What rule or regulation do I violate by reading on my Kindle in the Enclave.?  Please educate me!

Where did I say you in particular violated a regulation?  Just pointed out there are some selfish, inconsiderate folks that hog the heated loungers. If the shoe fits. 🤷‍♀️

It seems to me that most people use the enclave incorrectly. Its concept is that of the spa circuit. You are supposed to start with heat for 15 minutes (to sweat out toxins), then cold (the shower is for this) for 60 seconds to stimulate endorphins, and then you are suppose to rest for 15 minutes, which is what the loungers are for. Then repeat with the different types, such as steam or the pool.

The loungers are not meant to be laid on all day and this were the misconception is. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 1:58 AM, moonstaring said:

It seems to me that most people use the enclave incorrectly. Its concept is that of the spa circuit. You are supposed to start with heat for 15 minutes (to sweat out toxins), then cold (the shower is for this) for 60 seconds to stimulate endorphins, and then you are suppose to rest for 15 minutes, which is what the loungers are for. Then repeat with the different types, such as steam or the pool.

The loungers are not meant to be laid on all day and this were the misconception is. 

This is way too much "scheduling" for something that is intended to be relaxing. I see no reason whatever why someone shouldn't be permitted to stay as long as they like in any lounger, as long as they are actually sitting/laying in it.

I have not used Enclave but booked it for our first Princess cruise next month. 

We have used this venue on other lines.

I've always considered it "first come, first served" and sometimes we go in just for the loungers and take books and stay a while.  Sometimes we do a little of everything.  Sometimes just the pool.  If the warm chairs are not available, we do something else and jump on one when it comes available.  Same if the pool is too busy.  

I have no issue with someone using a feature for as long as they wish.

I do have big issues with "chair hogs" as it should be "first come, first served" and folks who just toss stuff on the warm chair and not use it are selfish low lives who must be forced to walk the plank.   "Chair hogs" also seem to be the types that like to talk loud and discuss evening plans so everybody can listen...when in the "relaxation area".  Again, send them to walk the plank!

Are rules posted for the Enclave?

• Like 3