New to Paul Gauguin

middleoneone

Hello All -  I am a frequent cruiser but new to Paul Gauguin. I will be traveling solo on the Sat 2/26 sailing.  What advice/suggestions do you have?  Formal night,  tipping, excursions, attire — all the usual questions.  Thank you for your guidance.  Erin. 

Edited by middleoneone

1 hour ago, middleoneone said:

Hello All -  I am a frequent cruiser but new to Paul Gauguin. I will be traveling solo on the Sat 2/26 sailing.  What advice/suggestions do you have?  Formal night,  tipping, excursions, attire — all the usual questions.  Thank you for your guidance.  Erin. 

Usual questions  ... may I suggest you read through the threads 😉

PG is a wonderful ship experience! The crew is wonderful and French Polynesia is beautiful.

The cruise has a very casual feel in terms of dress. No fancy dress or jewelry for the ladies. Polo shirts, not ties or suit jackets.

The ship is comfortable but is small with an older vibe to it.

After 9 cruises we still would go back again!

• Like 3

On 2/3/2022 at 12:56 PM, Cruisedreamer1 said:

PG is a wonderful ship experience! The crew is wonderful and French Polynesia is beautiful.

The cruise has a very casual feel in terms of dress. No fancy dress or jewelry for the ladies. Polo shirts, not ties or suit jackets.

The ship is comfortable but is small with an older vibe to it.

After 9 cruises we still would go back again!

Thank you - Is additional tipping to the cabin attendant or to a bartender a part of the culture of Paul Gauguin?   

The beauty of French Polynesia is in the water. Our then 30 something daughter came along 3x with us and had a wonderful time. She learned to scuba and the marina staff took good care of her. We wondered if she could tolerate being in the same cabin as us but after the 1st trip we barely could get the word out that we were going again and she was ready to go! She was a busy professional so it meant a lot that she really wanted to be with us and enjoy the PG at the same time.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 6:40 AM, middleoneone said:

Thank you - Is additional tipping to the cabin attendant or to a bartender a part of the culture of Paul Gauguin?   

We've always left something extra for our cabin attendant who have been wonderful on the PG. Other than that, we have left something for the crew fund, as we do on any cruise line where we've enjoyed our cruise.

We buy tickets for the chart which goes to the crew fund. Another thing we do is bring gifts to give to special crew members we've gotten to know over the years. The gifts we bring are personal as they come from our little town  ... can't get anywhere else. We live in wine country so typically we bring very good wine from small wineries and/or spirits  plus almond brittle made from our town in 1lb bags. The real good stuff as we purchase directly from the kitchen when it is being made. I'm also a 'mule' for some. They purchase things on-line and have them shipped to our address then we bring over to them. Remember no crew member is expecting tips though they are appreciated  .... we like the crew fund as it is for all of the crew .... even the ones we seldom see but are so important. The home spun gifts are very personal and are appreciated. 

By the time I pack 25 pounds are gifts or 'mule' items ... but heck, who needs a ton of clothes in FP 🙂

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Northern Bear said:

Can you explain this please? Is this a behind the scenes thing or is this explained to everyone on board?

The 'Chart' is a nautical map of your cruise, which depicts your itinerary and all of the islands you have visited, with some special artwork, a very cool piece of memorabilia. Raffle tickets are sold and the winner wins the chart. I don't recall the price of the tickets, I'm sure Kahuna does as well as the actual size of the chart. All of the proceeds go to the crew fund if I am not mistaken.

4 hours ago, MrRandal said:

The 'Chart' is a nautical map of your cruise, which depicts your itinerary and all of the islands you have visited, with some special artwork, a very cool piece of memorabilia. Raffle tickets are sold and the winner wins the chart. I don't recall the price of the tickets, I'm sure Kahuna does as well as the actual size of the chart. All of the proceeds go to the crew fund if I am not mistaken.

20" X 30" if I recall 

I forget the price  .... I always tell the reception desk to purchase tickets with whatever is left in my OBC

• Like 1

• 10 months later...