Boarding time assigned - set in stone?

travellovers2

For our November cruise, we arrived about one hour early, and did not have any problem/delay moving through the process. We did, however, have Priority boarding (Club Orange), not sure if that made any difference.

And, yes, our assigned boarding time changed twice, so don't be surprised if yours changes...

8 hours ago, eggemon said:

For our November cruise, we arrived about one hour early, and did not have any problem/delay moving through the process. We did, however, have Priority boarding (Club Orange), not sure if that made any difference.

And, yes, our assigned boarding time changed twice, so don't be surprised if yours changes...

Was your boardng time changed to a later time than what you originally received? 

Our experience on two cruises since the unpleasantness is that boarding times do not matter.  We show up when it is convenient for us and they were glad to see us.  Don't fret boarding times, IMO. 

(October from Amsterdam and December from Port Everglades)

We arrived at our assigned time:  Group A at 12:00pm.  Outside it was quiet and entry was quick.  Once I rounded the counter, however, I was shocked to see the terminal packed with people!  The staff were complaining about everyone showing up prior to their assigned time.  Personally, I am in no hurry to join that kind of mess but others don’t seem to mind.  Their faces didn’t look too happy, though.

11 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

We arrived at our assigned time:  Group A at 12:00pm.  Outside it was quiet and entry was quick.  Once I rounded the counter, however, I was shocked to see the terminal packed with people!  The staff were complaining about everyone showing up prior to their assigned time.  Personally, I am in no hurry to join that kind of mess but others don’t seem to mind.  Their faces didn’t look too happy, though.

wow that seems to defeat the whole process.  Our boarding times have changed but I would hate to show up on the right time and then have to wait with a crowd.  We cruised on the first sailing out of NYC in September and it was a mess but we expected that since it was new back to sailing for everyone - everyone just came whenever they wanted and they just processed everyone the same but like I said I expected that since it was the first sailing.

• Like 1

Interesting  topic to be sure ,our boarding times has çhanged from  1:20 to 2 Pm in the last  2 days . Our hotel checkout  is Noon. We just going to show up and hope for the best  Safe travels  everyone ! 12 inches of Chicago's  snow is calling me.

6 hours ago, travellovers2 said:

Thank you for your replies. We have to drive more than 4 hrs to get there, so if we have to wait, we might as well have lunch before we arrive. Doesn't the Lido market close at 2pm? 

The Lido Market on my two cruises in December closed at 3:30 PM on Embarkation Day.  There are also other lunch opportunities:  The Dive-In and Pizza, with the Pinnacle-class ships adding the Grand Dutch Cafe, are available if you miss the Lido Market on Embarkation Day.

• Thanks 1

Like so many others, our boarding time changed twice before our cruise. Actually, it changed three times, but I didn't see the last change because it happened the day before the cruise and I overlooked the e-mail. The shuttle we took to the port left earlier than we expected (hotel told us to be there 15 minutes before the shuttle time, but there was a shuttle leaving right then that had space). When we arrived, I told the "greeter" that it was more than an hour before our boarding time and asked where we could wait. He said to just go on in. I could not believe how fast we were on the ship. Amazingly efficient!

• Like 1

The purpose of the staggered times is to avoid crowding (and as stated, that does not always seem to work out well). I would suggest sticking with the time assigned.

In August on HAL in Seattle we arrived around the time we were assigned and it was not too crowded.

Last month on Celebrity in Ft. Lauderdale we ended up getting there a bit earlier that the assigned time (returning rental car and taxi went quicker) and we arrived to long lines - but it was outside. The doors opened a bit late. Once they opened we moved through the terminal quickly and were seated - distanced - before being sent to the gang way.

• Like 1

Agree. They are trying to avoid crowds while Covid is still an issue. Would seem appropriate to arrive reasonably close to your scheduled time. this has been discussed frequently, answers seem to vary from cruise to cruise.

Not so much set in stone as...Bread Pudding. 

Like there's ours changed three times since first set. Like others our hotel shuttle got there very early and they embarkation folks took us right in. Easiest entry we have ever had. 

We always follow the rules, but not when they want to cut back the time we have for lunch. 😆 j/k

We'll leave our  home at 7:30 am and go straight to the port. It feels good to get back on a ship.We always cruised once or twice a year.  Our last cruise was Feb 2020 on the Celebrity Edge. 

Looking forward to some R&R and most important, no work!!! 😊