Anyone cruise with young children recently?

Dreamcruise27

Haven’t sailed with any children in our party but have seen a few on board

The staff seems to really enjoy seeing babies as it reminds them of their own children that they were rarely around.  

I have seen those around 6 really enjoyed themselves and had a great time in the children program. 

On one cruise we were sitting next to a family in the MDR  with 2 children around ages  4 and 6 and I asked if they attended the children program and if not I would recommend it.  They said no as they didn’t think that they would like it.  2 days later they seen me and thanked me for the recommendation.  They said that their kids didn’t want to leave and couldn’t wait to get back to it.  The program staff is great and gives them a lot of attention because there usually aren’t many children on cruises.  

The only issue that most have and I am one is that screaming crying baby.   Since you asked I am sure that you are responsible and would leave with the baby from  the MDR or other venue when the baby starts crying.  

Enjoy your cruise. Go for it. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

We were on the ships over Christmas and NYE.  Saw LOTS of families with young children.

Note that the rules on vaccination changed and now anyone 5+ is required to be fully vaccinated.  Under 5 has other testing rules.

Your 6 year old will have a blast. 

Your 1 year old will not be permitted in the pool, so be aware of that.  I have seen some people with very young children bring blow-up splash pools and then dip some water into it around the deck for the small child to splash in.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Your 6 year old will have a blast. 

Your 1 year old will not be permitted in the pool, so be aware of that.  I have seen some people with very young children bring blow-up splash pools and then dip some water into it around the deck for the small child to splash in.  

If you bring a blow up pool you need to have a crew member empty it . Very likely to have pee in the water as swim diapers can't control liquids.. then reason that the pools are only for potty trained. 

• Like 1

I am not anti-children as I cruised with my own when he was as young as 3 so this is not an anti children on cruises post.  But I felt obliged to point out that ship's doctors are not pediatricians.  I know you know this, but in Covid times this could be particularly important.  Also keep in mind if you were to get sick you would be quarantined in a different cabin (may or may not have a balcony depending on the ship), and it could be for many days.  These days unless there is a medical emergency you are not flown home; you are kept in quarantine on the ship until the cruise ends.  Your decision to make of course but if it were me, I would think twice.  On the cruise I just ended we had more than 4% positive onboard, and a good number of others quarantining for at least a day or two due to close contacts with someone positive.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I am not anti-children as I cruised with my own when he was as young as 3 so this is not an anti children on cruises post.  But I felt obliged to point out that ship's doctors are not pediatricians.  I know you know this, but in Covid times this could be particularly important.  Also keep in mind if you were to get sick you would be quarantined in a different cabin (may or may not have a balcony depending on the ship), and it could be for many days.  These days unless there is a medical emergency you are not flown home; you are kept in quarantine on the ship until the cruise ends.  Your decision to make of course but if it were me, I would think twice.  On the cruise I just ended we had more than 4% positive onboard, and a good number of others quarantining for at least a day or two due to close contacts with someone positive.

@phoenix_dreamYou brought up a really good point about the lack of pediatricians in the medical center. My relative's baby (I think she is around 10 months old) now has COVID and has been spiking a high fever. It would be very frightening to have a very young child become sick and have to depend on a clinic that is more oriented towards adults.

Edited by snowballs mom
left out a modifier
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, snowballs mom said:

@phoenix_dreamYou brought up a really good point about the lack of pediatricians in the medical center. My relative's baby (I think she is around 10 months old) now has COVID and has been spiking a high fever. It would be very frightening to have a very young child become sick and have to depend on a clinic that is more oriented towards adults.

Another thing worth considering is the quality of medical care available in the ports. If the child becomes sick enough to have to disembark, would adequate medical care be readily available? It might be worth looking into what is available in the various ports and considering alternate destinations if the parents aren't comfortable.

Phoenix Dream's points are valid and I don't think they came across as anti-cruising with children at all. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

This is great advice.  

I think that Celebrity should warn all of those that are traveling with very young children about the risks, and possible scenarios. 

I think it would be very difficult to be quarantined in a cabin with young children and it would be very difficult for them. 

But I also remember my children always isolated themselves in their bedroom and we didn’t have internet.   Don’t know what they did in there but most times they read books or played with their toys, hopefully they were don’t some homework.  They didn’t have a extension phone line, or a TV.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, miched said:

This is great advice.  

I think that Celebrity should warn all of those that are traveling with very young children about the risks, and possible scenarios. 

I think it would be very difficult to be quarantined in a cabin with young children and it would be very difficult for them. 

But I also remember my children always isolated themselves in their bedroom and we didn’t have internet.   Don’t know what they did in there but most times they read books or played with their toys, hopefully they were don’t some homework.  They didn’t have a extension phone line, or a TV.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

There are very few children and almost no infants on Celebrity.   Today it is the responsibility of those cruising (or the parents) to make what is a personal decision.   With restricted activities and masking requirements that are in place today; would waiting a bit make  better experience more likely. 

As said, there is very limited care on board for infants and probably less in many ports.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I believe this applies to Dreamcruise27 concerns as they plan to travel in March.  However, the CDC is re-evaluating their approach to vaccines for the under 5 age group and may approve starting a series of 3 shot regimens soon while awaiting final data for the efficacy of a full 3 shot series.  Safety of this low dose regimen looks really good.  This could mean adequate immunity by May or June for this age group, wishfully thinking!!!  We have a 4 year old and planning cruise end of June.  The Pfizer regimen was effective in 6 months up to 2 yo so both of your children may be eligible for effective vaccination very soon.  I would also mention that many of the ships' doctors have training in Emergency Medicine or Family Medicine which would allow some degree of expertise in dealing with small children.  Hope it works out for you.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2022 at 4:10 PM, miched said:

Haven’t sailed with any children in our party but have seen a few on board

The staff seems to really enjoy seeing babies as it reminds them of their own children that they were rarely around.  

I have seen those around 6 really enjoyed themselves and had a great time in the children program. 

On one cruise we were sitting next to a family in the MDR  with 2 children around ages  4 and 6 and I asked if they attended the children program and if not I would recommend it.  They said no as they didn’t think that they would like it.  2 days later they seen me and thanked me for the recommendation.  They said that their kids didn’t want to leave and couldn’t wait to get back to it.  The program staff is great and gives them a lot of attention because there usually aren’t many children on cruises.  

The only issue that most have and I am one is that screaming crying baby.   Since you asked I am sure that you are responsible and would leave with the baby from  the MDR or other venue when the baby starts crying.  

Enjoy your cruise. Go for it. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Sorry for the late response! Thank you for your input. We started cruising with our son at age 2, and I do remember an occasion when we had to leave in the middle of dinner because we knew a meltdown was about to happen 🙂 

I'm sorry for the late response! 

Thank you everyone for your input. It is very much appreciated. They are all valid points and things I considered in the last few weeks. As case numbers continue to decrease, we have booked a cruise for end of March. I am thankful for Celebrity's cancellation policy so that if the situation is to change again, we can always move the cruise. 

We have not sailed with our children (or at all) since the start of the pandemic, but we were on a Celebrity ship with them at the end of February 2020...

I've sailed with a child as young as 8 months (NEVER AGAIN, and this was on Disney!) and at the time of our last cruise my oldest was 8.  I felt like the "sweet spot" was really around 4... IIRC the kids club on Celebrity does not allow them to require assistance with toileting (so when I took my "mostly potty trained but still needs help cleaning up after certain bathroom activities" 3.5 year old, it was not optimal. I basically prayed he didn't need to go #2 while at kids club!)

We also sailed when our kids were about 18 months and 4 years old- this was hard because 18 month olds are bored easily and destructive.  Sleeping was not restful.  

I've also traveled with my mom and only my older child, who was about 7 at the time, which was nice, relaxing, and pretty fun.

Just remember- with a 1 year old you will be unable to really do much in the evening.  Many of the things I enjoy about cruising (staying up late, longer dinners, drinks and dancing) aren't conducive to a child that goes to sleep at 7pm.  

If it is an option for your family, you may wish to ask a favorite babysitter/nanny/niece/nephew (not a minor!) to come along.  We have done this for a few cruises, booked two rooms, and in exchange for all expenses paid (cruise, air, hotel, any travel meals, any expenses in ports besides souvenirs and whatever she chose to do on her day off, travel insurance), the nanny stays in the room with our kids and helps us out.  We always give her time off in some ports (for example on a 7 day cruise with 5 ports, we'd give her 1-2 off, my husband and I would take 1 day in port to ourselves and book her on a ship excursion with the kids, and the other ports she would either have off OR if she chose to, she could join us in whatever family activity we booked and we would pay for her.  Usually they choose the latter.) Time off on the ship as well.  I know this is not for everyone, but it has really allowed us to enjoy BOTH a family cruise as well as the aspects of cruising we enjoy that happen after 8:30pm.  

Other things to consider- many people feel X is not great for kids.  While I agree it's not so great for tiny kids, our kids actually really liked it.  We have also travelled with them on Disney and NCL.  I think as they get older we may do a bit more NCL (water slides, etc) but the somewhat less chaotic environment of X works great for them.  The kids club on Disney was an absolute ZOO and was overwhelming for them (and us, I felt like I was going to lose my mind just picking them up.)  You know your kids better- do they like high energy or more calm?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

Other things to consider- many people feel X is not great for kids.  While I agree it's not so great for tiny kids, our kids actually really liked it.  We have also travelled with them on Disney and NCL.  I think as they get older we may do a bit more NCL (water slides, etc) but the somewhat less chaotic environment of X works great for them.  The kids club on Disney was an absolute ZOO and was overwhelming for them (and us, I felt like I was going to lose my mind just picking them up.)  You know your kids better- do they like high energy or more calm?

Thank you for your thoughts!

I should have clarified that we’ve been sailing only on Celebrity with our son since he was 2 and Celebrity is definitely more his style 🙂 

I was wondering if families who have sailed since the reopening felt things were the same/different than before.

19 minutes ago, Dreamcruise27 said:

Thank you for your thoughts!

I should have clarified that we’ve been sailing only on Celebrity with our son since he was 2 and Celebrity is definitely more his style 🙂 

I was wondering if families who have sailed since the reopening felt things were the same/different than before.

FYI, save the sail cards for your son, he will get credit for all his cruises when he turns 18.   The reason I say save the cards is over the years computer systems change and info is lost.  I know because it happened to my kids and they were not able to prove they were on a couple cruises   Still, when they turned 18 they were Elite.