Not price drop eligible?

bartnath

Hi all! Searched for some info on this, but coming up short. We're sailing 2/19/23 on the Beyond in our first suite (RS). I received a price drop notification, but was informed by my TA that they are not able to reprice this booking because there are no more Royal Suites open for sale. The only way that they can reprice a booking is if there are other cabins in inventory.

I've never run into this issue before, but we've also never been at this level of room (that also have fewer total rooms). This is a new TA for us as well, so I just wanted to get some input to make sure everything is on the up and up.

Officially, no you cannot reprice a room that is not available because there is no price. Who (or how?) did you receive a price drop notification from? 

Some people have gotten Celebrity to do this. I suspect they are temporarily moving your reservation to another category which creates inventory in the original category, then putting you back in your initial category. For a TA to do that, it's potentially a risky move. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Officially, no you cannot reprice a room that is not available because there is no price. Who (or how?) did you receive a price drop notification from? 

Some people have gotten Celebrity to do this. I suspect they are temporarily moving your reservation to another category which creates inventory in the original category, then putting you back in your initial category. For a TA to do that, it's potentially a risky move. 

Exactly what my Celebrity Planner says

• Like 1

I'm not sure they temporarily move your cabin.  We've gotten reductions a couple of times from our CVP, and shore side concierges have also checked for us when she is on vacation. Apparently they have access to Revenue Department information where they can see the going price of our suite. 

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Thanks for the info. I had a general tracker set up for suites and found a general reduction across the board (from what I could tell).

3 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Reduction applied to a cabin booking that is sold out without a listed price?

That is a very good point.  The reason I called was that there was a posted price and I just assumed there was availability.  If there was no price, I would never had made the phone call to Celebrity.   In any case, the new price was applied and the refund went on my credit card.  

On another occasionl, the agent had made an adjustment.  Then he  looked up  another cruise we had booked.  I was told that there were no rooms available in that category and no adjustment could be made to that reservation..  

1 hour ago, keesar said:

That is a very good point.  The reason I called was that there was a posted price and I just assumed there was availability.  If there was no price, I would never had made the phone call to Celebrity.   In any case, the new price was applied and the refund went on my credit card.  

On another occasionl, the agent had made an adjustment.  Then he  looked up  another cruise we had booked.  I was told that there were no rooms available in that category and no adjustment could be made to that reservation..  

All very helpful info, thanks to all for the input!

I have a suite on a sailing where all the suites are booked. Someone on the roll call mentioned their price had gone down. I asked my TA and they were able to get me a $900 price reduction even though there were no cabins available at the time. Others on the same sailing were not able to get a reduction so not sure how it works, but it can be done. 

6 hours ago, bartnath said:

Hi all! Searched for some info on this, but coming up short. We're sailing 2/19/23 on the Beyond in our first suite (RS). I received a price drop notification, but was informed by my TA that they are not able to reprice this booking because there are no more Royal Suites open for sale. The only way that they can reprice a booking is if there are other cabins in inventory.

I've never run into this issue before, but we've also never been at this level of room (that also have fewer total rooms). This is a new TA for us as well, so I just wanted to get some input to make sure everything is on the up and up.

Assuming you were happy with the price when you booked it

4 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I've had 3 RS bookings reduced in the last several months after all RSs were booked. 

As was ours in November for both legs of our B2B.  Resulted in positively silly amount of OBC.  Not sure how our TA juggles it, but it works.

8 hours ago, bartnath said:

I would have to agree with your agent.   That has always been my experience.  If there isn't a room available how would you know of the price to match?   What I did in a similar situation on an almost sold out cruise was to check daily.   Then a RS suddenly popped up,  I put it on hold and then called in to have the price adjusted.   Once they repriced they released the hold.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Yes, I did. 

7 hours ago, keesar said:

thank you, both.

14 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Assuming you were happy with the price when you booked it

Why do you find it so necessary to snipe? And so often. It adds nothing and if you have nothing to add, why not just move on?

Edited by Bugsy1966
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 8:38 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I would have to agree with your agent.   That has always been my experience.  If there isn't a room available how would you know of the price to match?   What I did in a similar situation on an almost sold out cruise was to check daily.   Then a RS suddenly popped up,  I put it on hold and then called in to have the price adjusted.   Once they repriced they released the hold.

Great thought - I'm a bit of an obsessive travel prepper so I'll watch for any openings. Thanks!