Catching a 10:00 am flight from Newark (EWR)?

bookitdanno

Delta just cancelled our flight and put us on one 5 hours later. There is a non-stop at 10:00 am,

and we have made those before in FLL, never tried in Newark.

With self embark, and 15-20 minutes to the airport, what say you on Cruise Critic?

All opinions and experiences welcome.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, bookitdanno said:

Delta just cancelled our flight and put us on one 5 hours later. There is a non-stop at 10:00 am,

With self embark, and 15-20 minutes to the airport, what say you on Cruise Critic?

Thank you.

Self disembark ?  
depends on how big the line is at security and what day of the week. 
A non holiday weekend? Probably fine. 

I'm also interested in the responses.  Our United flight got moved to 10:30.   I felt pretty comfortable as the FL based cruised I have taken recently docked at 7 am.   My Summit sailing is listed as docking at 8 am.  I'm still willing to take a chance as we will be in a Suite and will have priority disembarkation so assuming I can be off about 8:30 allowing 1/2 hr to the airport should still give me enough time.  May arrange a car service pickup to insure a prompt pickup.  There are also several more non stop flights to Raleigh later in the day.

Where are you disembarking, NYC or Bayonne. What day of the week? I grew up in North Jersey and worked in NYC. With this info I could give you a fair answer. The positive thing about Newark is no flights ever leave on time!!!

Edited by Virginia100
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

Where are you disembarking, NYC or Bayonne. What day of the week? I grew up in North Jersey and worked in NYC. With this info I could give you a fair answer. The positive thing about Newark is no flights ever leave on time!!!

Since they posted on the Celebrity board it would be Bayonne. 

I don't think a 10:00 flight is a good idea. They reference Fort Lauderdale. Port Everglades is very close to FLL, some would say next door. Bayonne to EWR is not the same situation. 

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I'm also interested in the responses.  Our United flight got moved to 10:30.   I felt pretty comfortable as the FL based cruised I have taken recently docked at 7 am.   My Summit sailing is listed as docking at 8 am.  I'm still willing to take a chance as we will be in a Suite and will have priority disembarkation so assuming I can be off about 8:30 allowing 1/2 hr to the airport should still give me enough time.  May arrange a car service pickup to insure a prompt pickup.  There are also several more non stop flights to Raleigh later in the day.

The Summit will probably dock earleir than the 8 that it shows and self disembark would likely be at 8:30.  I don't know when they do suite priority disembarkation but that sounds risky.  Going through immigration expect to take 30 to 45 minutes. Last time it was 30 minutes because they did face scan which made immigration fast. Then there is time to the airport and security. So 10:30 is less risky than the OP's 10:00 flight if you do self disembark. 

You also need to consider, what will be your plan be if you don’t make it? When is the next flight? Will they charge you a standby fee? How full is the next flight? How likely are you to make it? Do you have any status with the airline? Do you have TSA pre-check. There are so many variables to consider. Lastly, Will you be fretting the whole last day of the cruise worrying about whether or not you’ll make the flight?

3 hours ago, bookitdanno said:

Thank you.

Have you checked deltas website for a better flight? Whenever delta changes our flights they seem to always give us a flights that won't work for us. I check deltas website and have always found better flights. I then call delta and get the flights changed to what is better for us with no issues. 

4 hours ago, bookitdanno said:

Thank you.

As a former New Yorker than Jerseyite, I can attest to one fact...never ignore possible traffic issues on the NJ Turnpike!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Have you checked deltas website for a better flight? Whenever delta changes our flights they seem to always give us a flights that won't work for us. I check deltas website and have always found better flights. I then call delta and get the flights changed to what is better for us with no issues. 

Yeah, they did that to us. Finally settled on a flight that works for us, although not a non-stop.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Edited by bookitdanno
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The Summit will probably dock earleir than the 8 that it shows and self disembark would likely be at 8:30.  I don't know when they do suite priority disembarkation but that sounds risky.  Going through immigration expect to take 30 to 45 minutes. Last time it was 30 minutes because they did face scan which made immigration fast. Then there is time to the airport and security. So 10:30 is less risky than the OP's 10:00 flight if you do self disembark. 

Do you have to actually stop at immigration?  I think if you've entered the US already on a previous port (and not left the country between, like you just came from Boston or Portland or Baltimore etc) then you just walk out.  End of 2019 we did a New England Itinerary and went to Boston prior to ending at Bayonne.  We just walked out... was that because they used face scan to admit us or was it because we were already 'admitted' in Boston (where we did wait in a lengthy line for US immigration)?  (We are Canadian).