COVID testing before the cruise after March 1

AK Dreaming

27 minutes ago, Boxersma said:

I wish we as Canadians had this option but the emed tests are not mailed to Canada.  We are driving to Florida and I am having a hard time finding a place to do for non- Americans.  We don’t sail until April out of Port Canaveral with our final payment  due next week and I really don’t want to cancel so I really hope we can find someplace soon.  

Look at switch health tests through Aeroplan. You can get the antigen test which is proctored to fly down or to board. Then the LAMP test for return. 

3 minutes ago, hoklun said:

Look at switch health tests through Aeroplan. You can get the antigen test which is proctored to fly down or to board. Then the LAMP test for return. 

Thanks  so much for your reply, I will look into that.  Does this testing need to be performed in Canada?  ……..we are driving from Canada probably over a 3 day period, so the actual test would need to be done in the US as the window required by NCL is 48 hours (at the time of our sailing)

1 hour ago, Boxersma said:

Thanks  so much for your reply, I will look into that.  Does this testing need to be performed in Canada?  ……..we are driving from Canada probably over a 3 day period, so the actual test would need to be done in the US as the window required by NCL is 48 hours (at the time of our sailing)

Both tests are done via video call. Same as emed. Buy here before u drive down. Don't buy the PCR one since that one is mail in. Check the Canadian cruisers section here for reviews. 

7 hours ago, hoklun said:

Both tests are done via video call. Same as emed. Buy here before u drive down. Don't buy the PCR one since that one is mail in. Check the Canadian cruisers section here for reviews. 

Awesome!, thank you, I will definitely check that section! I very much appreciate your assistance ☺️☺️

It appears that everything vaccine and testing is about to change again. NCL is said to make an announcement on the 8th at 9am EST. Content supposedly to include the relaxation standard for children under 5 to eliminate V requirements. Wonder what else will change, ie prep board testing or masking requirements

Edited by razor7_us
Typo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, razor7_us said:

It appears that everything vaccine and testing is about to change again. NCL is said to make an announcement on the 8th at 9am EST. Content supposedly to include the relaxation standard for children under 5 to eliminate V requirements. Wonder what else will change, ie prep board testing or masking requirements

I sure wish NCL would change the test to 3 days before instead of two.  One day shouldn't make a big difference in validity of the test....and would make it soooo much more convenient.  At the moment the 2 day requirement is stopping me from booking again.  

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, roger001 said:

I sure wish NCL would change the test to 3 days before instead of two.  One day shouldn't make a big difference in validity of the test....and would make it soooo much more convenient.  At the moment the 2 day requirement is stopping me from booking again.  

This for sure  ^^^^^

• Like 3

On 2/6/2022 at 4:51 PM, AK Dreaming said:

Also, my CVS is charging $139 for a travel test.  Is the what everyone is paying or is there a better place.  I am in Florida.

I thought CVS in Florida was free.?

4 hours ago, roger001 said:

I know it would be nice as I will be traveling on the 2 day mark. 

We do the rapid test at Century Link Stadium in Fort Myers - free and quick.  You have to make a reservation a few days in advance, but it was easy peasy.

OP - look at Florida's dept of health site to find a drive in site near you.  Good luck

• Like 1

How do I test if I'm catching my ship over seas?  This summer, I'm catching my ship in Spain, which does not require vaccinated Americans to be tested before entering the country.  I'll be arriving in Spain on Friday and the cruise leaves on Sunday.  Thoughts on how to test in all of this??

On 2/7/2022 at 6:24 PM, Boxersma said:

I wish we as Canadians had this option but the emed tests are not mailed to Canada.  We are driving to Florida and I am having a hard time finding a place to do for non- Americans.  We don’t sail until April out of Port Canaveral with our final payment  due next week and I really don’t want to cancel so I really hope we can find someplace soon.  

Yes also from canada and wondering where to get test in Disney area or how to get a test like emed that will be accepted .  Wonder if we can order and have delivered to hotel?

6 hours ago, TakeMeAway20 said:

How do I test if I'm catching my ship over seas?  This summer, I'm catching my ship in Spain, which does not require vaccinated Americans to be tested before entering the country.  I'll be arriving in Spain on Friday and the cruise leaves on Sunday.  Thoughts on how to test in all of this??

As it is Europe you have three days to get the test.

Your options are to test on Thursday before your flight or to get a test in Spain on Friday or Saturday.

It definitely is not free. There may be no cost out of pocket, but it is not free. CVS bills your insurance company. If you don't have insurance or they don't ask for it, it gets billed to the government. The 39% of the people who pay taxes are the ones that pay for it.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, roger001 said:

This is why we love the emed choice so much. 15 minutes per person from the comfort of your own home and you're done. Even if you're going to be traveling the tests are light and easy to pack and take with you then do from your hotel room. At first I was feeling wasteful buying 6 for $150 for just the 2 of us but, as others have mentioned, the occasional botched test means we have peace of mind if we do need to re-test because of some problem.

We've done two cruises now that require testing within 2 days and it's been amazingly easy. The worst part is just the anxiety because each time I was dreading one of us testing positive but, knock on wood, no issues yet!

Edited by karmamule
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, roger001 said:

You can do the test the day of at the pier. 2 days is fine. If you are too inconvenienced, just get the proctored at home tests. Start to finish is about 20-25 minutes. 15 minutes of that is leaving the thing sitting in front of a camera while you do other things: pack, shower, make dinner/breakfast, drop one, whatever. 2 days is more than enough or just pay to have it done at the pier.

With the eMed option, you can bring your spares with you and save someone that in a cruise group that needs one on an emergency on embarkation day. I can hear people now complaining that they didn't get their tests back and then have to pay again at the pier to get them done. Why risk an entire vacation because of cheaping out on a covid test. You can also submit the testing kits back to insurance for reimbursement.

Edited by bigrednole
  • Like 2

Lots of good info in this thread... 

Sailing the Epic on the 27th so getting the free dock testing from NCL, but I might book a "last minute" on the Encore the week after so testing will be needed. 

5 hours ago, bigrednole said:

It definitely is not free. There may be no cost out of pocket, but it is not free. CVS bills your insurance company. If you don't have insurance or they don't ask for it, it gets billed to the government. The 39% of the people who pay taxes are the ones that pay for it.

Can we assume Medicare would pay if we mention we're testing for travel? Thanks.

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4