No rapid covid test allowed?

flahagan

I just got off the phone with MSC, trying to clear up some of my confusion as to which covid tests they accept.  I asked if they accept the rapid ID Now test, as that and the home proctored tests are the only things available where I live and I was told they don't accept ANY rapid test!  My problem is they gave us a 10 AM boarding time this Sunday for the Meraviglia at Port Canaveral and we need a negative test no more than 2 days prior to boarding.  Unfortunately, due to high demand here, the PCR tests are coming with a disclaimer that it may take up to 3 days to get your result.  So I went online and scheduled a home visit from beepermddotcom for Friday morning.  They're offering PCR test with 24-36 hour result window.  This is crazy!

I would ignore what MSC customer service says on most things. They should accept the rapid antigen tests that are given at drugstores, walk-in, clinics, etc. That is what I used on my Meraviglia cruise on 1/23 and what they gave at the pier.

This is from the MSC website currently for US and Puerto Rico citizens cruising to the Bahamas &

Caribbean.

TESTING REQUIREMENTS:

—  All fully COVID-19 vaccinated guests 12 years and older are required to show proof of a negative antigen or RT-PCR test taken no more than 2 days prior to ship embarkation. MSC Cruises may provide additional testing, if necessary, at the terminal during embarkation or on board to protect our guests and crew.

—- Requirements for fully vaccinated guests under 12 years old are the same as testing requirements for guests 12 years and older who are fully vaccinated. 

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 2

I am not sure that is correct. Here is what is on their web site as of today.

"Telehealth self-tests taken at home will be accepted provided the following requirements are met:

The test must have Emergency Use Authorization from the U.S. FDA
The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative
The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information
Note that this test kit must be shipped to your home in most cases and may take up to 5 business days to arrive (in the U.S.) after you order."

I am trusting this as I true as I am scheduled on the Mera 3/6

Unfortunately, there are NO rapid antigen test available in our area, just the Abbot ID Now which is not antigen.  I asked her about this test specifically and she said NO rapid tests.  It's so confusing!

32 minutes ago, PDXer2 said:

I am not sure that is correct. Here is what is on their web site as of today.

"Telehealth self-tests taken at home will be accepted provided the following requirements are met:

The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative
The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information
Note that this test kit must be shipped to your home in most cases and may take up to 5 business days to arrive (in the U.S.) after you order."

I am trusting this as I true as I am scheduled on the Mera 3/6

Gosh, I wish they'd give us straight answers.  I was on their website today and didn't see this under the test requirements.  It almost sounds like you can order the home kits from them?  I'll bet if I called again and got a different agent I would get a completely different answer.  Honestly, this is making cruising so difficult and I'm really trying to get back into it!

We boarded Feb 5 with a rapid antigen test fro Walgreens. Free, numerous slots available, results in less than an hour (although the website says 24). 

My understanding is you can do the “proctored” on line antigen tests. Just make sure to closely follow how those work. Watch a you tube video first and make sure you buy the version meant for online proctoring. 

When I was checking these were available on Amazon but there can be a lag due to supply chain issues. Binax is a common brand. 

Edited by TrinaLC

We got the “red button” Rapid Diagnostic Test ID Now see below (It was readily available at many Walgreens). Results less than an hour though they say 24 …

it was accepted with no issues Feb 5 seashore. 

44F855F1-DC14-47C4-A608-D28CDFA77A5B.png

Edited by TrinaLC

5 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

We got the “red button” Rapid Diagnostic Test ID Now see below (It was readily available at many Walgreens). Results less than an hour though they say 24 …

it was accepted with no issues Feb 5 seashore. 

44F855F1-DC14-47C4-A608-D28CDFA77A5B.png

You're lucky because that is an NAAT test, which they have omitted from the types of tests accepted. It's not PCR or antigen.

ID NOW is exactly the test that we took when we sailed on MSC Meraviglia a few months ago. NO issues and no problems. ID NOW is an NAAT test and (at least at the time of our sailing) NAAT’s were listed as one of the acceptable tests, regardless of whether they were rapid or not. 

Our results were double checked at the terminal (first as we entered the terminal and then at the check in counter). All the information was entered in their system. Not once were they questioned. 

if nothing has changed since the time we cruised, you’ll be fine. I’d go by what is on their website rather than by what an agent tells you, which may or may not be right.

Edited by Tapi

1 hour ago, flahagan said:

I just got off the phone with MSC, trying to clear up some of my confusion as to which covid tests they accept.  I asked if they accept the rapid ID Now test, as that and the home proctored tests are the only things available where I live and I was told they don't accept ANY rapid test!  My problem is they gave us a 10 AM boarding time this Sunday for the Meraviglia at Port Canaveral and we need a negative test no more than 2 days prior to boarding.  Unfortunately, due to high demand here, the PCR tests are coming with a disclaimer that it may take up to 3 days to get your result.  So I went online and scheduled a home visit from beepermddotcom for Friday morning.  They're offering PCR test with 24-36 hour result window.  This is crazy!

Binax ID NOW covid 19 test , one that can be purchased at drug stores, is not accepted , when test is performed at home.  Look to find a location where they will test you.

Binax NOW Ag-Card Covid Test , is the one with QR code for tele-med proctoring (supervised) testing.

With app from Navica to log into.

Too many people are getting  confused with the terms of Antigen, NAAT or PCR. All test for Covid 19.

The Abbott Binax Ag Card Telemonitored tests are ordered online. We ordered ours from eMed.com

Can also be ordered at Optum.com.

I will try to find the thread where we discussed in detail Covid testing prior to cruise.

Binax NOW ID can be done at a Walgreens or CVS, performed by tech and results emailed to you.

The emailed results is what MSC wants.

The video monitored testing also emails results to you after they see you complete the test and review the results on card.

Look for follow up.

msc cruises logo

From MSC USA site.

This very clearly shows that Antigen test or PCR test is accepted. 
PCR takes much longer for result and testing cost is higher that Antigen test.
- What test do I need to provide upon embarkation?

U.S., Puerto Rico, & Canada residents: 

All fully vaccinated guests 12 years & older are required show proof of a negative antigen or RT-PCR test taken no more than 2 days prior to ship embarkation.

All guests not fully vaccinated (all guests under 12 years of age, given our vaccination requirements) are required to show proof of a negative RT-PCR test taken no more than 3 days prior to ship embarkation. These guests will undergo an additional COVID-19 test at the terminal prior to embarkation, provided by MSC Cruises, free of charge. The only exception is that no pre-embarkation or embarkation testing is required for guests under 2 years of age. 

Tests must be taken with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain, diagnostic lab or accredited at home telehealth provider. Guests will be required to show their negative test result upon arriving at the pier. The results can be printed out, or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Test results will need to clearly show the type of test (Antigen, RT-PCR or NAAT), testing location/provider’s name, negative result, the guest’s name, and date and time the test was taken. Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility.

Telehealth self-tests taken at home will be accepted provided the following requirements are met:

Note that this test kit must be shipped to your home in most cases and may take up to 5 business days to arrive (in the U.S.) after you order.

The Abbott Binax Now Ag Card Telehealth monitored test has EUA from FDA.

GEN© 2022 MSC Cruises S.A. All rights reserved

Edited by phissy
  • Thanks 1

I think the confusion is that MSC has only Antigen or PCR listed as test for fully vaccinated. But lower down, test results  that are accepted list all three types of test.

From MSC site

For adults and children , FULLY VACCINATED, the follow test results are accepted.

Antigen, NAAT ( more specific for virus than Antigen)  or PCR. ( the Gold Standard)

As Cellfree has noted, the term Rapid gets thrown around a lot. Just referred to turn around time for results.

For unvaccinated children, a PCR test is required .

this is what we used and is still acceptable on their testing page.

93CF31C6-FAFF-4FF4-9D0D-567B1A6FA851.jpeg

7D5B5F1F-0164-46B9-BE65-F4784BECB05C.jpeg

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

You're lucky because that is an NAAT test, which they have omitted from the types of tests accepted. It's not PCR or antigen.

Just to set things straight (or maybe even confuse the issue more) RT-PCR tests are a type of NAAT (Nucleic Acid Amplification Test).  So both the RT-PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) test and Rapid ID Now offered by Walgreens are NAAT tests which are MOLECULAR tests (along with RT-LAMP tests) versus the ANTIGEN tests.  Only molecular or antigen tests are for current DIAGNOISTIC use.  ANTIBODY (not antiGEN) tests just show if you've had the virus in the past.

Fron Walgreens:

Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR): The RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel Test - NAAT is used to detect genetic material (mRNA) of the coronavirus and will be sent to a laboratory to determine results in a variable amount of time†.

Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW): The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) - NAAT (ID NOW) test also detects genetic material of the virus. The test is performed on site with results available within 24 hours.

Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW): Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) Test - Antigen (BinaxNOW) is an antigen test that detects the presence of a specific viral antigen. The test is performed on site, with results available the same day. These tests imply current viral infection and help determine if an individual is actively infected with COVID-19 and can spread it to others. A follow-up test with a diagnostic test may be required to confirm a positive result.

That's all technical jargo to most people, INCLUDING MSC reps so when dealing with them your mileage my vary...

• Like 2

The screen shot below are the Walgreens options.  Someone above posted about ‘Binax ID Now’. A least at Walgreens that is a misnomer. 

The middle “red dial” test is what we submitted and was accepted bY MSC Feb 5, Miami Seasore) after good scrutiny at two check points. (Rapid Diagnostic Test - ID NOW). 

Others have noted this is not a “rapid antigen” (that would be the “blue dial”) but a NAAT test. And another has quoted from the MSC site that the NAAT test is acceptable but the language is very confusing because NAAT is listed as acceptable for un’vaxed !  See phissy’s post 

Hope this helps. 

-

01FEB78B-AC67-47D1-831A-59194A1C3F62.png

Edited by TrinaLC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, flahagan said:

Daytona beach has many places to get a test, at least a dozen plus state run testing sites as well???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

NAAT is a technique, not a type of test. PCR and Antigen are the two types of tests. PCR tests often use NAAT.

As others have said, rapid is fine - PCR or Antigen. You can usually get a free rapid Antigen, but a rapid PCR you have to pay for. Regardless, either is acceptable.

Don't worry about NAAT...again, that is just the process the test (usually PCR) will use to determine positive/negative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Daytona beach has many places to get a test, at least a dozen plus state run testing sites as well???

No rapid antigen tests - Walgreen's website lists Virginia as the closest!

F, I had a lot of trouble with the Walgreen website. I kept seeing Virginia as the closest place as well though we live in the Carolina’s.

Ultimately clearing cookies and using a different browser there were lots of local sites.  If you keep seeing Virginia try calling a local high traffic Walgreens or even drive by. 

Also on the website make sure to select the 24 hour middle red button (ID NOW) which seems readily available. The identified as antigen ones(blue third button)  were not at all available. 

(Thanks to the above poster who clarified testing terms!!)

Edited by TrinaLC

5 hours ago, JT1962 said:

I would ignore what MSC customer service says on most things. They should accept the rapid antigen tests that are given at drugstores, walk-in, clinics, etc. That is what I used on my Meraviglia cruise on 1/23 and what they gave at the pier.

This is from the MSC website currently for US and Puerto Rico citizens cruising to the Bahamas &

Caribbean.

TESTING REQUIREMENTS:

—  All fully COVID-19 vaccinated guests 12 years and older are required to show proof of a negative antigen or RT-PCR test taken no more than 2 days prior to ship embarkation. MSC Cruises may provide additional testing, if necessary, at the terminal during embarkation or on board to protect our guests and crew.

—- Requirements for fully vaccinated guests under 12 years old are the same as testing requirements for guests 12 years and older who are fully vaccinated. 

I have also talked to customer service multiple times. We have two children (one vaccinated and one not vaccinated) whom will need PCR tests. The website says three days prior, the ticket says 72 hours prior to the time of departure. So if we leave on Sunday, can our kids be tested on thursday? Are they checking the time of day the test was done? The latest test on thursdays is 4;45pm so that will not be within that 72 hr window of departure. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

NAAT is a technique, not a type of test. PCR and Antigen are the two types of tests. PCR tests often use NAAT.

As others have said, rapid is fine - PCR or Antigen. You can usually get a free rapid Antigen, but a rapid PCR you have to pay for. Regardless, either is acceptable.

Don't worry about NAAT...again, that is just the process the test (usually PCR) will use to determine positive/negative.

Thanks so much first time I’ve seen that clarified!  Out of curiosity, would the middle “red button” test likey be antigen or PCR or no way to tell?

FFB75CC3-5CA0-4A49-853D-6886AF109F8B.png

Edited by TrinaLC

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

I have also talked to customer service multiple times. We have two children (one vaccinated and one not vaccinated) whom will need PCR tests. The website says three days prior, the ticket says 72 hours prior to the time of departure. So if we leave on Sunday, can our kids be tested on thursday? Are they checking the time of day the test was done? The latest test on thursdays is 4;45pm so that will not be within that 72 hr window of departure. Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, Cbarrick said:

It's 3 days...ignore the hours. 12:01am in Thursday is good for Sunday departure.

10 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

Thanks so much first time I’ve seen that clarified!  Out of curiosity, would the middle “red button” test likey be antigen or PCR or no way to tell?

FFB75CC3-5CA0-4A49-853D-6886AF109F8B.png

First test is "normal" PCR, which uses NAAT...results in 24+ hours.

Second is a Rapid PCR, which also uses NAAT...results in <30 min.

Third is Rapid Antigen (non-PCR) test. It does NOT use NAAT...results in 15min.

Typically the first and third are free...you pay for the second (at least that is how CVS works...not sure about Walgreens...