WhatsApp?

suttonrunner

I use WhatsApp on the ship both video and audio. I also sign up for unlimited Internet. It is incredibly frustrating using the internet by the minutes- logging in and logging off- you waste a lot of time and use a lot of minutes, so I feel the unlimited is a better arrangement for me

• Like 2

As you might expect, the success of using WhatsApp depends on location, location, and location.

Generally, if you are in a fairly accessible region, say the Med., and at anchor in a port you will be able to use the app with fair success.

Even then, we once experienced an important call that provided no visual contact but we could still converse with the other party.

So if it is for casual use in a populous area, I'd think you should be fine. 

If you are headed to Norway and the Arctic Circle, or at sea, you may be frustrated.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, suttonrunner said:

Thank you all for the replies,  yes I was thinking of getting the unlimited WiFi package too for my upcoming Caribbean` cruise on the lovely Quest.  Is the unlimited package just for one device as I will have both a phone and laptop with me?

One device at a time. Not a problem for me as I never have been good at multasking!😬. If you are logged on in one and use another you will have to sign in and it will kick you out of the other session. You can share the password with someone else, but once again your can't be on at the same time. 

Phil 

• Like 1

On a port-intensive cruise, such as most Caribbean itineraries, you also have the option of using your mobile phone for data, including as a hotspot for your laptop. This works almost any time your ship is in sight of land. Check with your provider.

For example, my phone uses Google Fi (USA), which provides data in any of 200 countries for $10/GB, with a maximum of $60 in any one month. That compares to Azamara unlimited at $20 per day. 

Alternatively, many other mobile providers offer international roaming at about $10 per day.

Obviously, I don't know the economics of UK mobile plans. 

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

Please know that Whatsapp is owned by Meta, aka Facebook.  In the terms and conditions for use, you give Meta an unlimited right to use the contents of your messages for whatever Meta may choose.  So know that your messages are, in effect, public to Meta, and also to any other entity that they choose to share with.

You may want to check out some alternatives, such as Telegram and Signal.

Not saying don't use Whatsapp - I'm a believer in free choice by individuals.  If that's fine with you, go right ahead.  Just be an informed consumer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are wondering what Post #8 is all about, see FB's side of the story here:

https://faq.whatsapp.com/general/security-and-privacy/answering-your-questions-about-whatsapps-privacy-policy/?lang=en

I will continue to use WhatsApp because it has 2 billion active users, making it extremely handy for communicating with 2 billion different people.

Edited by Mercruiser

10 minutes ago, Mercruiser said:

If you are wondering what Post #8 is all about, see FB's side of the story here:

https://faq.whatsapp.com/general/security-and-privacy/answering-your-questions-about-whatsapps-privacy-policy/?lang=en

I will continue to use WhatsApp because it has 2 billion active users, making it extremely handy for communicating with 2 billion different people.

I don't know 2 thousand different people, and all the ones I want to communicate with are in my iPhone Contacts list – and none of them sell my personal info...

• Like 2