Catholic Mass

TippySue

No, they do not.  They stopped it many years ago.  I have contacted them a few times regarding this and have never gotten a response.  We now just try to sail when the ship is in port on a Sunday, but with all the recent itinerary changes, that isn't even guaranteed.

Edited by vermonter16

Our diocese has lifted all covid restrictions, so streaming the Mass does not fulfill the Sunday obligation although I still live stream it.  I have always asked at guest relations after the ship sails if there is a priest on board, and if there is they will tell you and also post Mass times.  It is something you have to look for though, they won't put it in the daily.

Guest relations said they will still have a priest during Christmas and Easter - not all of Lent.  This was from talking to them on our Apex cruise in January.  Sadly, a Catholic is SOL the rest of the year unless a priest happens to be sailing.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, vermonter16 said:

Our diocese has lifted all covid restrictions, so streaming the Mass does not fulfill the Sunday obligation although I still live stream it.  I have always asked at guest relations after the ship sails if there is a priest on board, and if there is they will tell you and also post Mass times.  It is something you have to look for though, they won't put it in the daily.

But of course one gets "special dispensation" if they are not physically able to go to church in person.  

There is often a member of the clergy - could be any denomination- who will hold a nondenominational service.  Found the Jewish service excellent.   There used to be groups on board that would form for Saturday or Sunday services and/religious readings.  Guest relations will post notices if requested.

25 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

But of course one gets "special dispensation" if they are not physically able to go to church in person.  

Of course.  There are a lot of homebound people that can't make it so they are automatically dispensed or if sick, etc.  But, not for a cruise, lol.

16 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

There is often a member of the clergy - could be any denomination- who will hold a nondenominational service.  Found the Jewish service excellent.   There used to be groups on board that would form for Saturday or Sunday services and/religious readings.  Guest relations will post notices if requested.

That does not fulfill a Catholic's obligation to attend Mass albeit nice to attend.

2 minutes ago, vermonter16 said:

That does not fulfill a Catholic's obligation to attend Mass albeit nice to attend.

My DH is a scrupulous Catholic. Our priest has told him that if there is no possibility of attending Mass, the obligation is moot. On Sunday sea days DH has requested a room for facilitating a Christian prayer service that includes the day’s readings and Celebrity has obliged. Pre-Covid, priests have been aboard at Christmas and during Lent through Easter on the several Celebrity cruises we’ve taken that occur at those times.

On port Sundays, we enjoy attending a local church for Mass even if we don’t speak the language!

12 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

My DH is a scrupulous Catholic. Our priest has told him that if there is no possibility of attending Mass, the obligation is moot. On Sunday sea days DH has requested a room for facilitating a Christian prayer service that includes the day’s readings and Celebrity has obliged. Pre-Covid, priests have been aboard at Christmas and during Lent through Easter on the several Celebrity cruises we’ve taken that occur at those times.

On port Sundays, we enjoy attending a local church for Mass even if we don’t speak the language!

I hear ya.  I hear ya about being scrupulous.  But, picking a vacation knowing that Mass can't be attended with full knowledge is a no go although understandable and I've done it.  The last cruise we went on, we were supposed to stop in Key West but the itinerary was changed.  I wanted to cancel but DH did not so we went...but that didn't excuse me from not attending because I willingly chose to go on a trip, knowing that I would not be able to attend Mass.  What would be nice is if Celebrity brought back a priest on all sailings like they used to have back in the earlier 2000s and then it would all be a moot point.

I agree with all of the above. I have gone so far as to ask Celebrity if I brought my own priest would they be willing to waive the the 200% cruise fare, so I would only have to pay for one. Anybody want guess what their answer was?🙃

• Like 1

Well, it is safe to say for me that unless I am traveling with a priest, my September cruise on Celebrity will be my last...at least for the foreseeable future.  It is an 11 day Alaska and I pray there is a priest on board.  I will just stick to all inclusive for the Caribbean because then we can make sure that we make it to Mass.  Sujac - I used to be from the Arlington Diocese, love it!

9 minutes ago, vermonter16 said:

Well, it is safe to say for me that unless I am traveling with a priest, my September cruise on Celebrity will be my last...at least for the foreseeable future.  It is an 11 day Alaska and I pray there is a priest on board.  I will just stick to all inclusive for the Caribbean because then we can make sure that we make it to Mass.  Sujac - I used to be from the Arlington Diocese, love it!

I just couldn't believe that they wouldn't budge when I was willing to pay! I was told they didn't want to offend anyone. Ummmm ok, I'm a little offended by that statement. There are gatherings for every other group under the sun onboard.

39 minutes ago, sujac said:

I just couldn't believe that they wouldn't budge when I was willing to pay! I was told they didn't want to offend anyone. Ummmm ok, I'm a little offended by that statement. There are gatherings for every other group under the sun onboard.

I'm probably dating myself but I recall the days when there was always a Catholic priest on a sailing no matter what the line.

In fact, many years ago we were at a function at the Catholic College our 3 children went to and were seated with one of the priests who had just retired. When I asked him what he was going to do in his retirement, his response was "I'm now going to be the Chaplain for -----cruise line!!!!

31 minutes ago, BSinPNS said:

HAL used to have priests on all cruises, but I think that stopped partly due to the number of priests available. 

31 minutes ago, BSinPNS said:

HAL used to have priests on all cruises, but I think that stopped partly due to the number of priests available. 

There is a reason for the lack of priests available...

I always put in my feedback after a cruise how much i wish a Catholic Priest was there to celebrate Mass on the Cruise. I do try to go when in Port. I always cruise with Celebrity and with the same group of friends — late 20's to mid-thirties and nearly all of us would go to Mass every Sunday. I appreciate it can be hard to find a priest but there are many retired priests I know who would enjoy doing something like this. 

12 hours ago, BSinPNS said:

HAL still has a priest on every sailing. The only post shutdown change is that all masses are at 5pm (instead of 8am on sea days) and they do not allow the crew mass. 

13 hours ago, vermonter16 said:

So Alaska....

DH and I were on the Millennium from September 10-17 last year and our Ketchikan stop was on a Sunday. Here is the website for the Catholic church there: Holy Name Catholic Church | Ketchikan, AK (holynamektn.com).

This parish offers a shuttle service to the church from the port, but when we were there covid was so rampant that the shuttle was cancelled. Several other cruisers who'd gathered at the shuttle stop shared a cab to the church but DH and I decided to walk there since our planned hike back on the Rainbird trail had to be scrapped due to trail closure.  The only glitch on our 1.5 mile walk was trying to find Jackson St.! From the main road it is a very, very steep staircase to near the church where it becomes an actual road! Once at church we had to sign a contact sheet in case of a covid exposure.

After Mass, several parishioners offered to drive cruisers back to the port. We hitched a ride with a gracious woman who was picking up a friend to go to lunch at the Cape Fox Lodge. We were delighted that this was her destination because from there we were able to walk the Married Man's Trail back into Ketchikan.

BTW, friends of ours will be on the Millennium this September 9-16. They aren't Catholic, though. Is that when you will be cruising? 

@vermonter16

WELCOME TO HOLY NAME!
We have a Port to Pew van that will pick up cruise passengers and bring them to Holy Name and back to port throughout the season. 
If you gather at the Visitors Center by the Rain Gauge and look for our tan Holy Name minivan
at 8:40AM Sunday mornings or
4:45PM Saturday
you can ride for free (donations are accepted).  We will make several trips if needed between port and the church.  We also have a beautiful garden you can enjoy if you arrive early for mass.  Please call the office for more information or to let us know when you are arriving!

Whether you are joining us for the first time or passing through Ketchikan, we are happy to have you with us!!