The Daily for Saturday 02/12/2022

richwmn

Today is Global Movie Day, Hug Day, and National Freedom to Marry Day

It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.--Friedrich Nietzsche

Meal Suggestion for today - Bicol Express
Drink of the Day - Cubbie Blue
Wine of the Day - Bodegas Riojanas 2017 Monte Real Cuvée Crianza (R
Destination of the Day - Puerto Princesa, Phillippines

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Rotterdam   Destination Fort Lauderdale, F eta 2/13
Zuiderdam   Destination Fort Lauderdale, F eta 2/13

Half Moon Cay, BS

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 15:00

Hilo, Hawaii Island

Koningsdam   08:00 - 18:00

Panama Canal

Eurodam   05:00 - 05:00

Ships Without Passengers

Cadiz SP

Volendam   Shipyard
Zaandam   Shipyard

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Nieuw Amsterdam   07:00 - 17:00

Freeport BS

Noordam   Shipyard

Limassol CY

Oosterdam   Anchorage

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

0212World.thumb.png.77b95659b560e83f97e17d0c26bc68d8.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 14

Good morning from SW Florida, going up to 81 today!

Today is the birthday of America's 16th President, Abraham Lincoln and happens to be mine also, 76 today. Growing up in Chicago it was always nice having no school on my birthday as Lincoln's birthday was always a holiday in Illinois. 

Hope everyone is well.

Thanks for The Daily.

• Like 35

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

Another cold snowy day here, a good day to stay in and watch a movie.🙂  I will definitely hug my sweetie. 🙂  Freedom to marry is a great idea. 🙂

Love the quote.  Some people say that "love is all you need" but in my opinion, to have a long happy marriage you also need to like and respect each other.

Not sure what to make of the meal suggestion, I'll wait to see the recipe.

I don't know what the drink is either.   Hope the wine is tasty.

I've never been to today's port but I look forward to seeing pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 29
  • Haha 1

Good morning to all.

Nice collection of days.  Especially Hug day.  I love hugs.  They always make people feel good.  And it is something we have had to refrain from doing due to this pandemic.  Everyone needs a hug now and then.

I love the quote and think that it is so true.  If you and your spouse are not best friends, then I fail to see how a marriage can be a happy one.  I, for one, feel truly blessed in this area.

i will wait to see what the meal and drink are all about.  Jury is out on both.

Have not been to the destination but have seen photos from the World Cruise bloggers.  Looks like a pretty place.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Continue to work on the taxes and hopefully finish today or tomorrow.

Then have time to concentrate on the cruise.

I have never felt so ill prepared for a port-intensive cruise as I am for this one.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions on how to handle the mail during our cruise and all the well wishes for my appointment with the orthopedic doc on Thursday.

Have a good Saturday and God Bless,

Terri

• Like 30

13 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Today is the birthday of America's 16th President, Abraham Lincoln and happens to be mine also, 76 today. Growing up in Chicago it was always nice having no school on my birthday as Lincoln's birthday was always a holiday in Illinois. 

Hope everyone is well.

Thanks for The Daily.

Happy Birthday.

Terri

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

We had a lovely breakfast this morning.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

We hug all the time.

Good to have freedom to marry.

We are best friends as well as in love.

Prayers 🙏 to everyone who need them.

Wishing everyone a lovely weekend.

Graham.

IMG_20220212_101527.jpg

• Like 36

Good morning everyone. Thank-you for the daily report.  A nice collection of days today.  The quote is quite true.  I cheated and looked up the meal suggestion which sounds tasty.  Haven’t been to today’s port and looking forward to seeing the pictures.  Prayers for everyone on our list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.  Happy birthday to @MISTER 67🥂

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the Saturday Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days.  Maybe I’ll try to catch a movie later.  Hugs are so key.  Grateful I am allowed to give DH one in the hospital.  National freedom to marry is a true celebration.  Everyone should be free to marry the person they love. ♥️ 

Love the quote for today.  DH and I started out as friends and have remained best friends from day one ♥️ 

The meal sounds interesting a somewhat familiar.  Will wait for Debbie’s description later.

Looks like this is the last ‘warm’ day we will have (I use that term very loosely - as in a couple of degrees above freezing) so I’m going to take DH’s Valentines flowers into him today rather than wait until Monday and risk them getting damaged by the deep freeze.  Callas & tulips - both are scent free so should pass.  Hoping they will put a smile on his face as he loves my flowers and has always bought me gorgeous bouquets for Valentines and other special & not so special occasions.

6A2327CA-01A0-4A99-9B93-8E2853DEBDA0.jpeg.66133cadf18604ebba6e14894d4b77f7.jpeg

I know many are excited about the Super Bowl.  Without DH here - I will just watch my favourite part and it has nothing to do with football 😉 

1E07E8A9-7CCF-486E-94B3-A5C46CED7827.jpeg.81c14745dcc2057ce8a8b6528f4a98f9.jpeg

Warning to the Garden Club participants - in case you get a similar ad in your in box like this one:

F551C1D4-9263-4382-8627-1ABDAE97DE66.thumb.jpeg.83bb45d98286b2949154dba99bbd18e5.jpeg

It’s NOT TRUE!  My deer here will eat my dahlias.  That’s why there are none outside my fenced areas.  Please be careful and don’t take it at face value that dahlias are deer proof.  They are not!

@MISTER 67Happy Birthday!

BD0513DC-67AB-452B-8E8C-4BC64E0A80A4.jpeg.a618b5ac9f1664662f3e18b9d0dc66f1.jpeg

Gave Marley his pill earlier yesterday and he had me up earlier in the middle of the night.  Ok, tonight I will try much later 😉   Waiting to give him his first one so they are 12 hours apart.  Hopefully it helps 🤞 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone !!!!!!

7A451989-999F-4EF8-8813-D87D83B8E8DD.thumb.jpeg.d57100eaa9b167d32da9761d2e211b27.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 15

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Hugs are great but have been missed the last 2 years.  I'm not a big movie person and probably watch more on ships than anywhere else.  There have been many restrictions on marriage over the years (race, religion,and sex with likely more) and Freedom to Marry day celebrates the newest one, freedom to marry a same sex partner, celebrating that love is truly love.  I have never been to the Philippines. Another nice coincidence that we have a quote on marriage on Freedom to Marry day.  I'll wait for Debbie on the meal.

I THINK Nieuw Amsterdam is boarding passengers on a Charter today and hope she leaves in daylight so we can try to verify it.  I suspect Island Princess is taking over for Nieuw Amsterdam in housing quarantined crew

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui Jose, the doctors and a happy remaining life for Marley
Welfare of furloughed crews
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and cancelled cruise
Cruisin Terri autoimmune flareup and hand pain
ottahand7's brother with covid and cancelled knee replacement
Marshhawk awaiting surgery
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
NextOne  DDIL with mystery illness
HAL Sailor DH health issues
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise
Vict0riann’s Cousin with ALS and DH with Alzheimers

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam in Everglades
6 BHB with passengers(I THINK)
Front Line Health Care Workers
Florida vacation for dobiemom
Hand appointment for Cruisin Terri
Grand Australia booked for durangoscots
2 days for ottahand7 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/6)
Bon Voyage  kb4683 (Regal Princess to 2/19)
2 days for 0106 {Zuiderdam to 2/27)
5 days for rafinmd (Enchantment OTS to 2/25)
 Cruiser Bill (Koningsdam to 2/20) HighlandCruiser (Nieuw Statendam to 2/13),  Cruising single (Zuiderdam to 2/13) and Lady Hudson at sea (Enchantment OTS to 2/25)
Welcome home Sea Viewer
Happy Birthday Mister67
HorizonChaser1957 to Palm Springs
Good itinerary change for Overhead Fred
A new Camila photo
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Interesting group of days today Rich.  I totally agree with the quote.  Not sure about the meal and have not been to today's destination.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Please stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Cubbie Blue:

Ingredients
2 parts Cruzan® Tropical Fruit Rum or Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
1 part DeKuyper® Blue Curacao

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker. Shake and strain into a shot glass.

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 7.40.44 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, everyone.   

Yesterday's warmer temperatures helped decrease the snow pack around here.  I almost have the end of my driveway freed from snow and ice.  Not much on the agenda for today.   I have a Zoom meeting at 9 am that I have to lead and then I'm baking a cake for the new neighbors.  

Today's meal is a spicy pork stew although several sites say you can make it with chicken as well.   Bicol express is a spicy Filipino stew consisting of bite sized pieces of pork with chilies, coconut milk, shrimp paste (bagoong), onions, tomato and garlic. The dish is named after the train in the Bicol region of the Philippines, known for its spicy food. It is noted that if you can't find shrimp paste, you can substitute soy sauce or fish sauce.  

Here is the first recipe:   https://salu-salo.com/bicol-express/659858044_bicolexpress3.jpg.467320028eae13055419157ba6ae7dc7.jpg

You can use pork shoulder instead of pork belly.   Or, you can substitute chicken.   https://www.kawalingpinoy.com/bicol-express/

254440535_bicolexpress2.thumb.jpg.e5d465b4efde162890b060a9aff16fa3.jpg

Pork is a fantastic source of not just protein, but also niacin, phosphorus and vitamin B6. In fact, in 3 ounces of pork, you can find more nutrients that are great for you. This includes zinc and potassium.

But it is not just the meat that brings some comfort to your health in this dish. One of our main flavor and texture components, coconut milk, has healthy micronutrients. These aid in decreasing the size of stomach ulcers, and can help in lessening inflammation. It also contains a great deal of protein and carbs to boost your energy.

https://panlasangpinoy.com/bicol-express/

1369477982_BicolExpress1.thumb.jpg.b1836ec351ddce80bbe2bf227c8d331d.jpg

Prayers for those in need and cheers to those celebrating.  

Happy Birthday to @MISTER 67!

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.11002398517d0a3fd7cdcec0032028e6.jpg

Wishing everyone a wonderful day!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. A lovely start to our day. Sunny and a lot warmer than yesterday morning. Even Bindi seized the day!

Thank you for our lists Roy! Morning all! @smitty34877, Camilla is just gorgeous. In a blink of an eye she will be having her first birthday!

Heading off to a friend’s for coffee. She just had a knee replacement 3 weeks ago and is doing really well. Then I am having my traveling “sister” friend over so we can finalize our Alaska plans. Scallops, roasted Mediterranean style veggies, salad, and wine. And an Espresso crusted BellaVitano cheese for dessert.

The animal series continues…. In honor of the local rescue group, today’s focus is on our feline community.

5CD3B42C-4481-4853-B8CA-6E0C37522E17.jpeg.e7de0320a9f2c16e6d7dcd385856d110.jpeg

3DFA91AB-A8FE-4458-93DC-D12D82510735.jpeg.06ad3b963187645b91eb20df7253407b.jpeg

90E653BA-2BF1-4CE7-902D-CF3597B37E80.jpeg.b5aff16e743a21f23cf902a400dc8dee.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Bodegas Riojanas 2017 Monte Real Cuvée Crianza

This Rioja might not be easy to find, but its excellent rating and reasonable price might make the hunt worthwhile. I found one online distributor offering the 2018 vintage for $12.99.
Reviewer’s notes

One of the grand old names of Rioja, Riojanas has produced heroic wines since its founding in 1890. Such continuity was assured not only by the enduring commitment of the owning Artacho family but the fact that, until Felipe Nalda’s retirement in 2013, Riojanas’ winemaker had been with the bodega for 49 years (since the great 1964 vintage).

Under Felipe’s guiding hand, it remained one of the few remaining houses committed to the traditional methods that gave us one of the world's most distinctive and long-lived styles of wine.

Riojanas’ classic winemaking and fabulous quality are exemplified by the opulent Monte Real. These cuvées place Riojanas squarely in the traditional Rioja elite, yet it has always stood apart from its peers.

Rather than being founded in the commercial hub of Haro—as many prominent bodegas were—Riojanas is in the very heart of Rioja at Cenicero where its owners, the Artacho family, have been growers for generations.

Because of this, Riojanas has long had the luxury of complete control, from vine to bottle, of much of its production, from prized sites in its home village. Cenicero’s terroir has long been revered as the source of some of the very best Riojas, complete wines that combine the elegant structure of Rioja Alta with the full body of Rioja Alavesa.

In common with Rioja’s other famous historic bodegas, Riojanas has long made a number of wines, including rosés, blancos and red Crianzas, but the cream of its production is the Monte Real.

For its top wines, Riojanas relies heavily on Cenicero fruit, and these two giants are emblematic of the noble Rioja tradition of creating a pair of red wines at the top: Monte Real, in a Burgundy-style.  Monte Real is slightly Rhône-like in its expression.

The blend is classic: Tempranillo enhanced by Garnacha. Fermentation was in large upright wood tinas, with long aging in American oak barrica and bottle before release.

And the approach created wines that age easily for a half century or more, as our experience with mid-1950s Monte Reals back to 1942 have shown.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 8

I have a sunset today rather than a sunrise; It's from my 2020 Crystal World Cruise.  On February 12 the Crystal Serenity was scheduled to visit Nuku' Alofa, Tonga but was denied permission due to the pandemic

dusk0212.jpg

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 9

29 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Hugs are great but have been missed the last 2 years.  I'm not a big movie person and probably watch more on ships than anywhere else.  There have been many restrictions on marriage over the years (race, religion,and sex with likely more) and Freedom to Marry day celebrates the newest one, freedom to marry a same sex partner, celebrating that love is truly love.  I have never been to the Philippines. Another nice coincidence that we have a quote on marriage on Freedom to Marry day.  I'll wait for Debbie on the meal.

I THINK Nieuw Amsterdam is boarding passengers on a Charter today and hope she leaves in daylight so we can try to verify it.  I suspect Island Princess is taking over for Nieuw Amsterdam in housing quarantined crew

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui Jose, the doctors and a happy remaining life for Marley
Welfare of furloughed crews
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and cancelled cruise
Cruisin Terri autoimmune flareup and hand pain
ottahand7's brother with covid and cancelled knee replacement
Marshhawk awaiting surgery
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
NextOne  DDIL with mystery illness
HAL Sailor DH health issues
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise
Vict0riann’s Cousin with ALS and DH with Alzheimers

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam in Everglades
6 BHB with passengers(I THINK)
Front Line Health Care Workers
Florida vacation for dobiemom
Hand appointment for Cruisin Terri
Grand Australia booked for durangoscots
2 days for ottahand7 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/6)
Bon Voyage  kb4683 (Regal Princess to 2/19)
2 days for 0106 {Zuiderdam to 2/27)
5 days for rafinmd (Enchantment OTS to 2/25)
 Cruiser Bill (Koningsdam to 2/20) HighlandCruiser (Nieuw Statendam to 2/13),  Cruising single (Zuiderdam to 2/13) and Lady Hudson at sea (Enchantment OTS to 2/25)
Welcome home Sea Viewer
Happy Birthday Mister67
HorizonChaser1957 to Palm Springs
Good itinerary change for Overhead Fred
A new Camila photo
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for the updated lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, kazu said:

Warning to the Garden Club participants - in case you get a similar ad in your in box like this one:

F551C1D4-9263-4382-8627-1ABDAE97DE66.thumb.jpeg.83bb45d98286b2949154dba99bbd18e5.jpeg

It’s NOT TRUE!  My deer here will eat my dahlias.  That’s why there are none outside my fenced areas.  Please be careful and don’t take it at face value that dahlias are deer proof.  They are not!

They are also Vole candy.  I planted our vegetable garden full of them in Maryland trellised them and headed to our cabin in Michigan for the summer each year.   First year it worked great.   The following year the voles devoured almost all of them before they sprouted.  I told Dan's Dahlias don't send me another catalogue.  Too heartbreaking.  

We had a nice night of celebration last night.  Roy's Boat House near our hotel has the longest and best Happy Hour.   Fancy mixed  cocktails $8, most wines $8 and oysters, oyster shooters and shrimp cocktail deals.  With those deals was an add on bottle of Moet for half the price as menu price.  We celebrated well.

Today we are going to do touristy stuff.  Take the water taxi and find the Cardi B and go for a cruise.   The weather is going to be perfect today with a chance of a shower.   Rain and wind tomorrow so it will drive our Meet & Greet into the Explorer's Lounge and I hope we can wave at Sailaway.  If it is drenching on port side we will be indoors.   We have another chance on round 2.  

@kazuI am happy you found some flowers to bring in that are scentless.  I love Calla Lilies.   

@grapau27you get around and post some of the most appetizing food pictures.  Thanks for sharing them.  

I took a screen shot of the drink and I will ask our bartenders to make it for me.   A lot about enjoying food is how good it looks so I think I will pass on today's dish.    The Crianza will probably be a good one and since from Spain probably reasonable.   

Never been to our port for today.    Movie day sounds like fun if we weren't traveling.    Maybe we can pick up one tonight in the room trying so sleep through excitement of the cruise tomorrow.  

@rafinmd My brother is on the mend and he is awaiting a new date for surgery.  Probably while we are on the cruise.   You can remove him from your list.  Prayers for everyone on Roy's care list and I wish everyone a good weekend!    🙏

yellow pink tip fancy.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Good morning!  Clear skies, should be up into the low 60's again today, and then the temps will drop down to a high of 47 tomorrow.

The boxes that DH moved from the "invisible neighbors" house and hid by their back door, were gone by 7 last night??    DH said they weighed around 60 pounds each, so not knowing who knew they were there, and why they came to pick them up.  I hope that was OK.   

Cubbie Blue sounded like someone I dated in college...

The dinner looks good, but best if I don't know about the shrimp paste and the fish sauce.  Maybe DH can make it.  I like spicy.  I like pork.  

@grapau27  Thank you for the lovely breakfast food porn.  I am headed out this morning for a sausage roll from my favorite donut shop, and then go to the Wild Birds store to get food for the flyers.  (and squirrels)

dogs-vs-cats-free-mnlimited-hugs-bonus-kisses-included-hugs-25665643.png

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

Hope everyone is well.

Thanks for The Daily.

Happy Birthday! Hope your new year is filled with laughter, love, great health & a cruise!

FB6EA56B-B6FF-4A32-B435-8FE324514A96.jpeg.e3eefb895df56964db329a1eeacb1c1d.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report.  And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Have a great Saturday!

Today is a special day for us! Later today we are going over the mountain to my daughter's house. They are having a family-only Reveal Party! It has been a very tight-lipped time for my daughter and her long-time boyfriend as they began the IVF process last year in early Summer. They wanted to make sure before announcing. The process has a number of twists and turns that must be completed. She is now twelve weeks pregnant and feel that they can make the announcement. We are very excited about having  a grandchild nearby!

Update tomorrow!  

Snow expected late tonight and through tomorrow after a high today in the mid 60's!

Stay safe!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 2