Room service menu?

pathi

1 minute ago, VibeGuy said:

Can we talk about the cole slaw?

I’m super white.  Like “naturalist in Alaska reported seeing a beluga whale in the Lotus Spa Pool” white.   Like unseasoned chicken white.  Like “mayonnaise is too spicy” white.  

But never in my white life have I put raisins in the cole slaw. 

back to the condiments and garnish - if you try to remove four things (lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle:  my DH is a fussy eater), you can’t ask for ketchup, mustard and that spicy mayo.  They count add-ons and deletions as changes, and changes are four per item per customer, rather arbitrarily. 

If I ran the zoo, the user stories for the room service section would all point to the SURPRISINGLY well-engineered Wendy’s or Taco Bell apps for commentary on customization. 

We will be on Regal in a couple of weeks. I will check again.  On Enchanted,  I remember every condiment being a check box. 

Yep, they’re all check boxes, but there’s a limit of four checked for the entire group, and there’s no “hold everything that isn’t meat, cheese or bun”. 

Overall, the room service execution has been way beyond expectation - I have had chicken strips arrive so hot they burnt my fingers, let alone my tongue.  I really like being able to order adult beverages.  I am a sucker for a fruit plate to the lotus spa pool loungers.  I’d just like some ranch for my tendies without having to be arsed to pick up the phone. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

Yep, they’re all check boxes, but there’s a limit of four checked for the entire group, and there’s no “hold everything that isn’t meat, cheese or bun”. 

Overall, the room service execution has been way beyond expectation - I have had chicken strips arrive so hot they burnt my fingers, let alone my tongue.  I really like being able to order adult beverages.  I am a sucker for a fruit plate to the lotus spa pool loungers.  I’d just like some ranch for my tendies without having to be arsed to pick up the phone. 

Oh gotcha.  The four check limit sounds familiar. 

Yes, I did say in my Enchanted review,  the app is a huge step forward,  but does need work.

My husband had luck calling dine line when it felt too complicated. 

2 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

But the phone is all the way over *there*! (Points dramatically to the far corner of the desk in the far corner of the cabin)

It is a pretty big inconvenience.  I am lucky to have a husband willing to do both the extra cardio and extra talking to people thing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

Go to TV, click on dining, then select Ocean Now  food-drink-service ( see top row) you can also make dining reservations by clicking Dine My Way or see menus by clicking menus.B3B6BEAA-1820-4F32-9399-555C40B08EAD.thumb.jpeg.3c70e9d2d0a7ad6981083342fe53e15c.jpeg

I see Afternoon Tea...is that just telling you where/when? Or is there a way for Elites to order it for their cabin?

7 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

I’m super white.  Like “naturalist in Alaska reported seeing a beluga whale in the Lotus Spa Pool” white.   Like unseasoned chicken white.  Like “mayonnaise is too spicy” white.  

back to the condiments and garnish - if you try to remove four things (lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle:  my DH is a fussy eater), you can’t ask for ketchup, mustard and that spicy mayo.  They count add-ons and deletions as changes, and changes are four per item per customer, rather arbitrarily. 

If I ran the zoo, the user stories for the room service section would all point to the SURPRISINGLY well-engineered Wendy’s or Taco Bell apps for commentary on customization. 

The whole room service function on the app is shady as heck.  And I never got what I ordered anyway, and half of what did come was inedible.

Don't get me started on Wendy's.. they got on the tech wagon early on and their Twitter feed is a glorious homage to shade.

Now if I just had a Frosty and some 🍟!

13 hours ago, Kmkub said:

When I figured out how to customize,  it got better, but once I ordered a plain hot dog with ketchup for the fries, and one with mustard, relish,  onions and tomato, we got three dogs with onions and tomatoes.  It mostly worked,  though. 

We did get Cole slaw about half the time,  though we never checked the box.

I am not responding specifically to your post but generally to all of the posts about the work arounds to make the new room service system work in the way that the old system worked.  The old phone or paper based system worked and was easy to use - you just ordered what you wanted and did not have to jump through hoops to get what you wanted.  With the new one it just doesn't work.  

There is a reason for paper based menus - they work.  It is also much easier to flip through pages on a paper menu to see what you want than to have to flip back and forth on your phone based menu. 

BTW - we have a friend who does not believe in smart phones and is happy to stick w her flip phone.  Why should she have to deal w problems if she wants to look at a menu.  

In many cases, the supposed wonders of technology are just solutions looking for a problem.  Just don't get me started on people who claim that checking the time on their phones is easier than just looking at their watch or the people who refuse to wear a watch but are happy to ask me what the time is.

DON

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I am not responding specifically to your post but generally to all of the posts about the work arounds to make the new room service system work in the way that the old system worked.  The old phone or paper based system worked and was easy to use - you just ordered what you wanted and did not have to jump through hoops to get what you wanted.  With the new one it just doesn't work.  

There is a reason for paper based menus - they work.  It is also much easier to flip through pages on a paper menu to see what you want than to have to flip back and forth on your phone based menu. 

BTW - we have a friend who does not believe in smart phones and is happy to stick w her flip phone.  Why should she have to deal w problems if she wants to look at a menu.  

In many cases, the supposed wonders of technology are just solutions looking for a problem.  Just don't get me started on people who claim that checking the time on their phones is easier than just looking at their watch or the people who refuse to wear a watch but are happy to ask me what the time is.

DON

The pictures on post 17 are from the cabin tv, and are extremely easy to navigate. For those who don’t want to order from the tv, just call room service and they will take your order the old way.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 11:47 PM, VibeGuy said:

IMO raisins should never go in anything! 🤮

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We had a couple of issues.  

Picture of fruit plate, vs reality.  Picture is decadent, overflowing and wonderful looking with strawberries, grapes, oranges, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew and pineapple.  While reality was 4 small slices of fruit (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew and pineapple), I'm talking tiny slices.  I have pictures and will post them when I'm on my phone.  The fruit cup contained more fruit! 

The chicken tacos were not even close to the ones served at the salty dog cafe.  A couple of times, they were missing the chicken and replaced with white beans.  I'm a fan of alternate protein, so I ate them. 

There's little way to customize, you can either take off 4 items or add 4 items.   Also no way to order salt and pepper!

Everything was a little "white bread".  I realize they are catering to fill everyone's tastes, so it was all pretty bland.  Hubby described the potato salad as mayo and undercooked taters.  Never knew if you were going to receive sides and when you did, sometimes it was coleslaw, sometimes potato salad, sometimes a bed of lettuce.  

But, let's be honest, the price was perfect, the delivery time was exceptional and the crew were fantastic.  And if we had really wanted to, we could have gotten ourselves out of the room and run to the buffet and gotten exactly what we wanted. 

Yeah, here I am complaining about the perfect vacation.  

• Like 2

Just a couple of comments. The room service menu does have a number of options, but some items we've known and loved for years are missing. My husband especially missed the chili (which he likes better than mine - but I'm not bitter). 😉  Ordering from the app or TV is very quick and easy, but I do have to echo what others have said: the quality of the room service food delivered does not seem to be quite as good as it used to be, and is certainly not up to par with that provided at the food venues throughout the ship (such as the Salty Dog or Lido Pizza place), with the possible exception of breakfast (and that with the exception of the egg McMuffin which was terrible, on an un-toasted English muffin).  Others have suggested that the quality issues are because the Medallion-ordered food is prepared in a central kitchen, but I keep thinking that was always the case with room service, so not sure why that should affect the quality. 

Short version is that it's okay, but not what it used to be, and we do not expect there will be any going back. As the Director of IT for my company is fond of saying "adapt or die" (I hate that phrase). 😉 

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

The quality of room service food does seem to vary.  This is a disappointing, as these type of standard items should have universal quality standards.

In my Enchanted review from our January cruise, I posted this for my chicken tacos. The quality was high; I ordered these three times. Delicious!

Qu9ayMD.jpg?1

@Astro Flyer posted this pic of chicken tacos from Majestic.

image.thumb.jpeg.774d71e913efebe8ab9a0fc

Edited by Kmkub
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Instead of dealing with menus, or waits, I simply take a plastic tray to the buffet and bring it back to my cabin, or to an outside deck, where I can eat without people around me and get fresh air. They're adding more grab-and-go items in the buffet, which makes it easier, and the desserts are sooo tempting. I usually grab a little cheese plate and some rolls for a late-night snack, too, and keep some little boxes of cereal and milk in the fridge. A tray is also helpful for the international cafe, where I'd get a breakfast of egg muffin, fruit cup, and a few pastries and take it to sit by a window in Vines. 

• Like 1

Please tell me they've either improved or gotten rid of that gruel they call potato soup.  On my last cruise on the Crown, it was the soup du jour for 14 days straight.  One of my fellow passengers had recently retired from working at a prison, and  he said their prisoners ate better.   

It was obvious the ship was using the Horizon Court to feed the crew, without regard to the passenger mix.  Every dish was too highly spiced or funky fish tasting for me and served over rice, rice, rice. Once I tried the club "sadwich" (as it was listed on the room service menu), which proved prophetic.  You could have read a newspaper through the skimpy slices of meat and tomato. 

We started going to the dining room and the specialty restaurants for every meal, which we had never done before.  It was a slight improvement, but we still felt like we'd had better meals at chain restaurants. 

I'll be on the Majestic soon and I'm hoping the food has improved a bit, regardless of the Medallion's peccadillos.  

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 11:47 PM, VibeGuy said:

Google cole slaw recipes I am sure you will find a wide variety including some with raisins, sweet vs savory.  I love cole slaw both ways. 

1 hour ago, eyelash said:

Please tell me they've either improved or gotten rid of that gruel they call potato soup.  On my last cruise on the Crown, it was the soup du jour for 14 days straight.  One of my fellow passengers had recently retired from working at a prison, and  he said their prisoners ate better.   

It was obvious the ship was using the Horizon Court to feed the crew, without regard to the passenger mix.  Every dish was too highly spiced or funky fish tasting for me and served over rice, rice, rice. Once I tried the club "sadwich" (as it was listed on the room service menu), which proved prophetic.  You could have read a newspaper through the skimpy slices of meat and tomato. 

We started going to the dining room and the specialty restaurants for every meal, which we had never done before.  It was a slight improvement, but we still felt like we'd had better meals at chain restaurants. 

I'll be on the Majestic soon and I'm hoping the food has improved a bit, regardless of the Medallion's peccadillos.  

Here I was thinking the Crown was being used as a quarantine ship.