The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

3 hours ago, CDR Benson said:

I haven't given up on NCL and the Haven.  Aye, I'm not wild about the rate increases and the service cutbacks.  But they're not enough to make me throw in the towel on NCL.

Candidly, part of the reason is that the alternatives don't work for me.  Aye, we are scheduled to cruise with Regent Seven Seas at the end of this year.  But that's a fortunate circumstance of the significant deals Regent offered last year when the line was trying to re-start after COVID.  The typical Regent price offers are a bit past my comfortable budget to sail with them regularly.  At least, at the level of accommodations we want.

Oceania meets our price point, but the location of their penthouse suites on most of their vessels is poorly designed.  (Directly beneath the lido deck, and for that cost, I'm not going to roll the dice on whether the noise from above is bothersome or not.)  Celebrity is significantly more expensive than NCL for a smaller suite than we had in the Haven on Norwegian Joy.

I also allow that the 10% military discount that NCL affords me keeps its Haven fares about the same as what I paid last time.

That said, the strongest motivating factor for staying with NCL was our experience in the Haven on our cruise last September.  Many of the details are in the trip report I posted here after we got back.  But the short form is that it was the most idyllic vacation the Good Mrs. Benson and I ever enjoyed.  It was serene.  So much so that the GMB insists that I was actually a normal human being.  (She didn't have to get nasty about it, heh.)

I don't think that's going to change much, if any, on our next Haven cruise, next year.

In interest of full disclosure, that was as much a marching order from the GMB as a preference of my own.  She wanted to sail again on the same ship, Joy, in the same suite.  So we are, in 2024.  (My wallet needs time to recover from paying for our Regent cruise this year.)

As others have pointed out, all of the cruise lines have had to make customer-unfriendly adjustments in light of the current economy.  Things could change significantly, for ill or good, in the next two years.  But I believe NCL still provides an outstanding experience (in the Haven, at least) with a bang for the buck competitive with its brethren.

Will NCL's customers receive every benefit they did in the past?  I'm sure they won't.  But eroding service offerings have been the nature of cruising for decades.  There are probably folks still complaining about not being able to skeet-shoot off the fantail, anymore.

This might be my favorite post ever. Lol. You are a great writer and very funny! GMB, indeed. (or should I say “aye”?) I love her! Still laughing here…

14 hours ago, minka34 said:

I love the Haven on Epic, but have taken to only booking when a good deal comes up. We found a decent one, and are on the Epic end of Feb.  Really looking forward to another Haven trip.  Thanks to SthrnGary, we are probably going to get the premium drink package for the first time with our onboard credit, even though it reportedly isn't what it used to be.  But nothing is what it used to be at this time.  Understandable changes due to supply chain and worker shortages, which are prevalent in every industry. Going to just be happy to be on vacation on the Epic and in the Haven!  I especially love sail away up in the Haven bar up on the open deck... As Gary would say, I just want to feel like a rock star and that will happen in the Haven.  Cheers!

I am going to have to remember the Epic next time I am Jonesing for the Haven. I was on it once on the transatlantic when it first came to the US. The Haven was really pretty! The weather was freezing the whole way over here and there was a wild wind tunnel from the Haven restaurant to the pool area. I did not love the general layout of the Epic so I just kind of went on to other ships after that cruise. But you are right, the Epic Haven is really very nice. Thanks for reminding me! And I’m betting the prices are better on an “older” ship than on the newest ones too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, molemaui said:

Despite many reviews and comments to the contrary, I think you will love the Haven on the Prima. On many cruises you have a favorite bartender, pool attendant, server, etc. Hard to identify on this ship as  virtually everyone we came into contact with was outstanding. A truly great cruise and I really like the ship as well. 

Great to hear! The last cruise for me was a week before they shut down thanks to Covid (I just made it!). We were on the then-brand new Bliss. It was outstanding. I love the very smart move for the Prima of putting the sun deck in the aft. About time! And a bigger Haven bar should be great too. We spent a fair amount of time at the Haven bar on the Bliss. Best and friendliest bartenders I ever have had the pleasure of getting to know and they so enjoyed finding us all the best stuff we could drink with our super-duper beverage package. Which we are getting this time becuz..you know — live it up, baby, while you can! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I am much like you in that I haven't fully thrown in the towel, because "the alternatives don't work for me" either. For one very specific reason, which I would bet a lot of money on, does not impact you. 🙂 Dress code. 

I've looked at Regent, Oceania, Celebrity, Azamara, and Emerald. All of them, unfortunately require long pants and some sort of closed toe shoe in their dining rooms. This is a huge turn off for my husband and I (more for him, than me). I can put my big boy pants on when I need to. I've certainly had my share of regimented fun (non-military experience). 

Unfortunately, this is just a sign of the times. In the last year, I've been very fortunate to have taken three Haven cruises. Each was wonderful! Each had things I would have changed! At the end of the day, the Haven experience, and nothing else, is why we continue to sail on NCL. If we had to cruise outside the Haven, we just wouldn't cruise. We enjoy walking about the larger ship, but there are times when we just need to be ensconced in the familiarity and solitude of the Haven. 

I'm still happy with my Haven experience. It's the other aspects (corporate side) that may prevent me from sailing NCL. This would preclude me from cruising, so I'll definitely not say never. I also won't delve into my disgust at NCL/NCLH attitude here. 

I'll gladly state I love the Haven experience. It hasn't been impacted by budget cuts yet. I truly hope you enjoy your Pr1ma sailing and have the most wonderful time! I really think you'll love it, despite anything in this thread (and others) to the contrary.

I would be remiss to say though, that I am thankful for others that share their not-so great reviews and opinions about the Haven/NCL. It helps me plan differently, lower my expectations, and be prepared for changes. For instance, another thread mentioned the crab cakes recently had a lot of filler. Just three weeks ago on Getaway, I savored virtually no-filler crab cakes. I've now tempered my expectations for the same as we're cruising in Joy's Haven in March. As a lover of cruising, and the Haven, I need all the information I can get. 🙂

This is a great post. I knew there had to be a few peeps out there that will still post happy stuff along with any honest disappointments. Your attitude is like mine. I have taken numerous notes from recent reviews both on the Prima and other ships and I do adjust my expectations accordingly. It’s funny the things that are slightly disappointing to one person but a total bummer to the next. The only thing I have learned that I am SO DISAPPOINTED by, is that the Mexican restaurant no longer has on their menu the best fish tacos I have ever had! And no mention of street corn on their menu! My two favorite items! Alas, I will “somehow” manage to find enough other things to eat. But that is a disappointment…More than the awful high prices of the Haven! Go figure. We humans are interesting but sometimes ridiculous creatures. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hahaha I love your last line! Thanks for the laugh! 

And yes, I don't mean to turn this into one of "those" threads. Just stating what I believed were the facts. Thanks for confirming. Also, so long as the nether regions are covered, folks can dress in any manner they want. I'm just happy to see people having a good time onboard!

Here's to you and your next well-styled cruise! 

Nether regions! Omg 😆 so funny! 😂 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CDR Benson said:

As to this part of your post, I agree.  Aye, this is a thread speaking to the pleasures of staying in the Haven.  But that does not mean it should be limited to positive experiences.

We need to hear of the occasions and circumstances when the Haven did not live up to its promise.  For the reasons you cited.  In order to accurately plan, anticipate, we need to know what could go wrong, what has gone wrong in someone else's situation.  That affords us reasonable expectations.

Aye, there has been a soupçon of dump-on-NCL in recent posts, but I think that's a natural reaction to NCL's recent policy changes.  Once current travellers post on their experiences, the tone will shift.

I agree with this totally. I count on honest opinions. And I take notes on both happy and not happy stuff.

this thread is shaping back up to one I enjoy! Yay team! I haven’t posted this much anywhere in a long time. 🙂

• Like 2

On 1/23/2023 at 5:23 PM, Greenpea2 said:

Gee, I know everyone's experience is personal, but I would never say NCL food is poor. Have always enjoyed it very much. 

Agreed.    We never found the food to be poor.

14 hours ago, minka34 said:

I love the Haven on Epic, but have taken to only booking when a good deal comes up. We found a decent one, and are on the Epic end of Feb.  Really looking forward to another Haven trip.  Thanks to SthrnGary, we are probably going to get the premium drink package for the first time with our onboard credit, even though it reportedly isn't what it used to be.  But nothing is what it used to be at this time.  Understandable changes due to supply chain and worker shortages, which are prevalent in every industry. Going to just be happy to be on vacation on the Epic and in the Haven!  I especially love sail away up in the Haven bar up on the open deck... As Gary would say, I just want to feel like a rock star and that will happen in the Haven.  Cheers!

Please report back and let us know your experience in the Epic Haven next month.   We are scheduled for March in the Epic Haven and I am getting a little concerned.   This is an extended family cruise and I picked the ship.   While I did take advantage of, I believe, eight price reductions, we are spending much more on this vacation then we ever have.    I have not yet broken the news about the filet mignon being taken off the menu at Teppanyaki to my family which has always been our favorite meal. 

My wife, myself, my stepdaughter and her 17 year old friend( first Cruise for both of them) are going on the Joy in April. We have the Aft Facing Haven Suite and will absolutely report on all the fun we have. Third straight cruise in the Haven  and can not wait. First time in the Aft Facing Suite as the past 2 were the 2 bedroom and the Forward facing. Love this thread and come back multiple times a day to see what is being said.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

Please report back and let us know your experience in the Epic Haven next month.   We are scheduled for March in the Epic Haven and I am getting a little concerned.   This is an extended family cruise and I picked the ship.   While I did take advantage of, I believe, eight price reductions, we are spending much more on this vacation then we ever have.    I have not yet broken the news about the filet mignon being taken off the menu at Teppanyaki to my family which has always been our favorite meal. 

They are going to be so absolutely sick and tired of filet mignon by the end of the cruise. Order it for dinner in the Haven. Request it with your eggs in the morning. Heck, request it to top a salad at lunch. They won't even remember there was no filet at Teppanyaki! 

I haven't sailed the Epic and I've seen the threads on the Epic (good and bad). Regardless, the Haven will be stunning. I'm honestly not sure if one could have a bad cruise when sailing Haven (unless they're just young or old codgers). You don't strike me as a codger so you'll have a great time! 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

They are going to be so absolutely sick and tired of filet mignon by the end of the cruise. Order it for dinner in the Haven. Request it with your eggs in the morning. Heck, request it to top a salad at lunch. They won't even remember there was no filet at Teppanyaki! 

I haven't sailed the Epic and I've seen the threads on the Epic (good and bad). Regardless, the Haven will be stunning. I'm honestly not sure if one could have a bad cruise when sailing Haven (unless they're just young or old codgers). You don't strike me as a codger so you'll have a great time! 

If it was just the four of us, I would definitely agree with you.   However, half of the extended family members will not be in the Haven so most of our dinners will be outside of Haven.  The last time my husband and I were in a Haven cabin, he had the filet four times for breakfast, but did choose other choices for dinner a lot besides the filet.   For us, there is something so delicious about the filet in Teppanyaki.   Probably all of the butter and soy sauce they cook it in.

But I do know we will keep everything in perspective and have a wonderful cruise with family we do not get to see a lot.  

• Like 2

On 1/24/2023 at 9:31 PM, minka34 said:

We found a decent one, and are on the Epic end of Feb.  Really looking forward to another Haven trip.

You will love it just a couple tips as just did Haven on Epic.

• Traffic in port is a mess, I would just go early and use the lounge area (heard some people stuck in traffic like 2 hours coming from airport way around 10am-12pm)
  • When getting dropped off do not go to the main door to drop your luggage there is a specific Haven luggage bag drop
  • Try the Sail and Sustain Drinks (they are great drinks and never noticed them on our past NCL cruise but offered just in the Haven outdoor lounge area)
  • Do no eat at Moderno if you have specialty and want to use them use them somewhere else
  • With apps you can order a 2x helping on the same plate (I did a 2x of the Ahi Tuna nightly and just said do it on the same plate)

Enjoy the cruise we had a great time inside the Haven area itself and the ports.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Greenpea2 said:

I am going to have to remember the Epic next time I am Jonesing for the Haven. I was on it once on the transatlantic when it first came to the US. The Haven was really pretty! The weather was freezing the whole way over here and there was a wild wind tunnel from the Haven restaurant to the pool area. I did not love the general layout of the Epic so I just kind of went on to other ships after that cruise. But you are right, the Epic Haven is really very nice. Thanks for reminding me!

And I’m betting the prices are better on an “older” ship than on the newest ones too. 

This was our breakdown of Epic vs Encore for the Haven

• Epic we loved the outdoor bar and grill area: great for having a relaxing afternoon having a drink and maybe something to eat
  • Posh was always empty and great option because there was an actually a bar where as Encore there is no bar for drinks while laying out
  • Liked all the views from the lounge, outdoor bar grill, restaurant
  • Didn't use but having the sauna and steam room (mens and womens versions) were a nice add

• Encore we loved the observation lounge for Alaska (wouldn't have used it as much in Caribbean)
  • Liked the hot tubs on the sun deck (they were empty though in Alaska which made them so great)
  • Liked the covered pool area for cool weather (not issue on Epic in Caribbean and the Epic pool was WARM which was great)

Overall I think both ships do exactly what they are supposed to do. Epic has better outdoor areas but its a warm weather cruise ship while the Encore has better indoor areas but its a cold weather cruise ship.

I would say though Encore I dislike there is a premium cost to the gokarts and laser tag taking up a ton of space in the general areas. Doubt they ever do it but would be nice if they included things like the premium charged things in the Haven cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 9:02 PM, HBCcruiser said:

With RCI if you book early right when the cruises are listed you get better deals. We booked the solar eclipse cruise April ‘ 24 on Harmony in the 2Bd Aqua suite (Star Class with Genie) for 4  at $8000 total. Can’t beat that!  For NCL peeps Star class suites include the Unlimited Beverage Package, WiFI (Starlink) and Unlimited Specialty dining package the entire cruise. I love NCL but they need to lower their prices IMO. 

I'm currently booked on the Princess eclipse cruise, but I'm still looking around in case another line comes up with a sailing I like better. I'm confused about your statement that you booked the solar eclipse cruise April 24 on the Harmony. Looking on the RCI website, the Harmony seems to be in the Caribbean in that timeframe. ??

28 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I'm currently booked on the Princess eclipse cruise, but I'm still looking around in case another line comes up with a sailing I like better. I'm confused about your statement that you booked the solar eclipse cruise April 24 on the Harmony. Looking on the RCI website, the Harmony seems to be in the Caribbean in that timeframe. ??

It will be visible although that is not the reason why we booked this cruise.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/april-8-2024

Depending upon where the Captain takes us on our sea days we should be able to see a good % of it.;1413BE66-8D61-40CE-AAFF-80D8FDE9A07E.thumb.jpeg.de19fdef59a26ded0c7e22d7059bfc81.jpeg

C262A990-EF5B-4ED7-A2EC-B7319E456F99.png

Edited by HBCcruiser

6 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

It will be visible although that is not the reason why we booked this cruise.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/april-8-2024

Depending upon where the Captain takes us on our sea days we should be able to see a good % of it.;1413BE66-8D61-40CE-AAFF-80D8FDE9A07E.thumb.jpeg.de19fdef59a26ded0c7e22d7059bfc81.jpeg

C262A990-EF5B-4ED7-A2EC-B7319E456F99.png

Gotcha!  I was thinking a total. The partial will be good to see too. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Gotcha!  I was thinking a total. The partial will be good to see too. 

Yeh my thought too. Again, this is not why we booked this cruise. We did not find out about the eclipse until after we booked. Let me know if you decide to join! Fun party! 😀🥂

49 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Yeh my thought too. Again, this is not why we booked this cruise. We did not find out about the eclipse until after we booked. Let me know if you decide to join! Fun party! 😀🥂

Looks like a good cruise, but I'll probably stick with the Discovery Princess. She's in Mazatlan the eclipse day, so total eclipse there. I've noticed some of the cruiselines have Mexican Riviera cruises before and after the eclipse timeframe. I'm betting there'll be at least one other eclipse cruise in that area. Holland has two, but the prices on theirs are through the moon. Oddly, Princess didn't bump the prices up at all. Think somebody screwed up on that?

23 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Looks like a good cruise, but I'll probably stick with the Discovery Princess. She's in Mazatlan the eclipse day, so total eclipse there. I've noticed some of the cruiselines have Mexican Riviera cruises before and after the eclipse timeframe. I'm betting there'll be at least one other eclipse cruise in that area. Holland has two, but the prices on theirs are through the moon. Oddly, Princess didn't bump the prices up at all. Think somebody screwed up on that?

Who cares if they messed up! Enjoy! 🤗 My TA booked a bunch of rooms on the Discovery but we had already booked the Harmony - great price for Star class so I’m not giving that up! 

It always makes me laugh when people claim there's 'no food' available on a ship that has food 23/24 hrs a day (24 if you count room service). Especially when they then proceed to acknowledge that O'Sheehans is open, and then proclaim that the food there isn't good, yet also proclaim they didn't actually ever even try it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

O’Sheehan’s is very good. The wings and Reuben sandwich’s and chili are delicious and the service is great. We cruise Haven and always eat lunch there at least twice a cruise. 

I agree, We travel in the Haven but end up there several times for the Reuben and wings. 

On 10/19/2022 at 6:51 PM, Sundiego said:

Question about requests made to the "pre-cruise Concierge" via email.

We're on a 16-day transatlantic leaving Rome Nov 1st. We have 5 specialty dinners but my reservations are a mess (nobody's fault). So I emailed the pre-cruise Concierge last Friday with what we had reserved so far and what we wanted tweaked. I got the automated reply saying I'd hear something in 48 hours and I've heard nothing. 

So... should I follow-up, maybe with a phone call,  or just let it be and go to the Concierge once we board the ship? This isn't a huge deal to us but it would be nice to get it squared away.

Thanks!

Denise

Hi, the same thing happened to me for a cruise in a few months.  I emailed with some requests and gluten/dairy free diet concerns for my granddaughter and received the canned response that I should hear from someone within 48 hours.  It’s been well over 2 weeks, and nothing yet!  Do you ever get a response?  Thanks.