The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

1 hour ago, CDR Benson said:

I'm working on both my trip report, which I'll post on the Regent board, and a "Regent Vs. NCL Haven" comparison, à la Sthrngary's "Oceania Vs. NCL Haven",

@CDR Benson I simply cannot wait.  Glad you are home safe. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CDR Benson said:

Very pleased that you and your husband had such a wonderful Haven cruise.  Much of what you relate in your trip report echoes what the Good Mrs. Benson and I experienced.  That's why we'll be back on Norwegian Joy next November in the same Haven suite we enjoyed last year.  So, I completely understand your enthusiasm.

Welcome back!

(Appropos of nothing in your post, but I know some folks are wondering, the GMB and I returned from our Regent Seven Seas cruise this past Saturday.  I'm working on both my trip report, which I'll post on the Regent board, and a "Regent Vs. NCL Haven" comparison, à la Sthrngary's "Oceania Vs. NCL Haven", which I will post on this board.  I'm shooting for having them up this week-end.)

Looking forward to your thoughts on Regent as I just sailed on my first Regent cruise. I was on the inaugural cruise on the Grandeur out of Trieste. 

• Thanks 1

@Sthrngary  Thanks for starting this thread and all the info and numerous answers which many have added too. 
You posted Oceania Secrets information as a pdf; however, in all 136 pages of this NCL Haven thread I can not find a pdf version of your NCL Haven secrets. 
With what appeared to be several 'updates' in your posts responding to questions within these 136 pages, could you post a new updated 2023 NCL Haven Secrets as  pdf?  Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, HHI Cruiser1 said:

@Sthrngary  Thanks for starting this thread and all the info and numerous answers which many have added too. 
You posted Oceania Secrets information as a pdf; however, in all 136 pages of this NCL Haven thread I can not find a pdf version of your NCL Haven secrets. 
With what appeared to be several 'updates' in your posts responding to questions within these 136 pages, could you post a new updated 2023 NCL Haven Secrets as  pdf?  Thanks again.

@HHI Cruiser1 Thank you for asking.  I wrote the NCL Haven Secrets twice. Updated at the end of 2022 I believe.  I never posted the PDF for that topic.  I don't have one.  Sorry but thank you for the complements.  Much appreciated. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HHI Cruiser1 said:

12 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@HHI Cruiser1 Thank you for asking.  I wrote the NCL Haven Secrets twice. Updated at the end of 2022 I believe.  I never posted the PDF for that topic.  I don't have one.  Sorry but thank you for the complements.  Much appreciated. 

I just took @Sthrngary first post from this thread and made a PDF of it.  Here it is.  It was done in February of 2022, I don't remember @Sthrngary making up another.

NCL Haven Secrets 2022.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Butler humor…. Earlier this week, we saw our butler in the Indulge Food Hall. He said that while he can pick up food and bring it up to the Haven, he is running around and placing orders and then picking up orders. He has no priority so some food will be fast,,, some will be slow,,, most will be cold by the time it gets back upstairs,,, especially when people order from many restaurants. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I just took @Sthrngary first post from this thread and made a PDF of it.  Here it is.  It was done in February of 2022, I don't remember @Sthrngary making up another.

NCL Haven Secrets 2022.pdf 302.44 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for doing this. The Original Post was done in 2019.  It was updated in 2022.  The one you have was the updated one.  I remember taking out most references to children in the Haven as part of this update.  Thanks again for doing this. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, icedearth15324 said:

It's possible this was asked already, but does anyone know if the butler will bring you Starbucks if you have the Starbucks drink package? Like have the butler drop off Starbucks in the room every morning for you?

Doubtful, but if you speak to them and give them advanced notice there's a better chance of them agreeing. Doesn't matter if you have the package or not. It's no different from folks having the drink package and the butler not being able to come and deliver a pina colada to you either. Well, they can, but there will be a charge. So if you do ask, just confirm if it will be included with your package or not so you don't have a surprise.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Doubtful, but if you speak to them and give them advanced notice there's a better chance of them agreeing. Doesn't matter if you have the package or not. It's no different from folks having the drink package and the butler not being able to come and deliver a pina colada to you either. Well, they can, but there will be a charge. So if you do ask, just confirm if it will be included with your package or not so you don't have a surprise.

@Sailing12Away GREAT advice.  The original question is also a good one that led to your response. One of the many improvements I suggest for the Haven on all NCL ships is this coffee thing.  I actually sent it to the executives at NCL because I really like the Haven, think it has some room for improvement that would be little to no increase in cost for NCL.  The idea came after comparing the Haven to other brands accommodations and amenities from a value proposition standpoint.  Some of what I suggest were but not limited to the list below:

• Coffee:  All Haven guest should have complementary Starbucks coffees.  I know that all Haven Guest can gain the French Press from the Haven Restaurant but that is loved or hated.  Other brands have a full fledge barista bar that is complementary to everyone on the ship.  
  • Premium Plus Beverage Package: All Haven Guests should have the Premium Plus Beverage Package.  This eliminates the need to provide your card when at the Haven Bar.  The Premium Plus Beverage Package is a shell of its former self.  This is not a stretch for NCL.
  • Butler Deliver Adult Drinks to the Suite:  If everyone has the same Premium Plus Beverage Package, then the Butler should have the ability to bring drinks to the suite as long as a bar is open. This is done on many brands and it makes a difference.
  • Butler Gratuities:  NCL needs to include the gratuities for the butler.  It is wrong not to do so.  Again, they price/investment of the Haven needs to be as all inclusive as possible to support the value proposition. 
  • Specialty Restaurants:  These should be complementary to all Haven Guests.  At absolute least, just provide every Haven Guest with the Free at Sea Plus program.  
  • Vibe Beach Club:  The complaints with the Haven Sundeck is not having a bar up there.  If the Vibe is open to the Haven Guest, it will not cause a issue with crowding.  The Vibe is never crowded.  It will open up the bar which is rarely busy in the Vibe. My Haven Guest will simply go back to the Haven sundeck. 
  • Soda's In the Suite:  The only Haven Suite that has complementary soft drinks/mixers is the H2 Owners Suites, Owners Suites or on the small ships the three bedroom villa's.  When you go on other brands, the mini-fridge is complementary with soft drinks.  
  • Thermal Spa: The number of Haven Guest is about 200.  The only Haven suite that has complementary access to the Thermal Spa is the Haven Spa Suite.  Give it to all Haven Guest with age restrictions. 
  • Haven Pool Adult Hours:  The issue is not nor has it ever been the children.  NCL is a family cruise brand.  That is why even in a Haven suite, the 3-4 person is discounted or free.  NCL wants the entire family.  The issues have been the children's parents thinking the Haven Pool is the Kids center.  Have a couple of hours a day for ONLY adult swim.  

Now some of you may be confused why I would suggest these updates in the Amenities of the NCL Haven.  Allow me to share.  As the Haven has gotten more and more popular, it has also gotten more and more expensive.  There comes a point when you have to consider what other brands provide.  That time came for me when I compared a 10-Day Mediterranean Cruise on another brand and mostly all that I suggested above was provided as part of everyone's fare price.  Add to that, the ship was just refurbished and the cost of the fare was 65% less then the Haven on a per day basis.  This makes it difficult to always book a Haven Suite even for the same Itinerary.  

I am still a huge Haven Fan.  I just want a better value proposition based on the issue I and other Haven Guest have recognized.  I will be a slight premium over other brands but there is a limit.  I hope NCL is listening and will consider some of not all of my suggestions.  I will send this post to them once publish to remind them of the letter I sent some time ago. 

• Like 9

Meh, the one thing I do like with NCL as opposed to say Celebrity that I just sailed with a week ago - NCL offers a la carte pricing. Celebrity (when I booked) included many of the things you mention for "free". It wasn't free, it was just already included in the cost of my room. My price on Celebrity was higher than most of my NCL Haven trips, but if I had chose to add on the FAS Plus, they would have been similar in price and amenities included.

Personally, I don't even like the Starbucks brand of coffee. What Celebrity had that NCL lacked was alcoholic coffee - that I would gladly pay an upgrade fee for. Not just the ability to get a fancy frappamochamachiatowhatever-o, but an iced coffee spiked with whiskey. Yup, sign me up baby.

Vibe - meh, it's redundant. Just add more wait staff or an outdoor bar area to the Haven pool area. Ships like Prima & Epic have them, so the other ships can certainly find a corner to add one in with a simple limited menu offering.

Thermal spa - meh. In all the cruises we've taken I've never stepped foot in the spa once. Not a value add for me, so calling it a 'free' perk won't tickle me at all.

But yeah, free cans of soda absolutely. The simple deli style fridge with grab and go bottles of water and cans of Coke - absolutely an easy perk for them to add on. They can monitor for abuse fairly easy without it being a babysitting thing. Classic drink package included for 'free' - again, absolutely. Not having to show my card every single place I went with Celebrity was nice. Even if it's just in the Haven restaurant and bar - nice touch to say "Hey, we know you belong here, everything's included." If you want something more premium, you can flash your VIP card as needed. Gets people to really view the Haven area as a special place to be and hang out.

Lots of ways NCL can add small, simple tweaks that don't cost them a lot but increase the perceived value add a lot to narrow the gap between cruise lines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Meh, the one thing I do like with NCL as opposed to say Celebrity that I just sailed with a week ago - NCL offers a la carte pricing. Celebrity (when I booked) included many of the things you mention for "free". It wasn't free, it was just already included in the cost of my room. My price on Celebrity was higher than most of my NCL Haven trips, but if I had chose to add on the FAS Plus, they would have been similar in price and amenities included.

Personally, I don't even like the Starbucks brand of coffee. What Celebrity had that NCL lacked was alcoholic coffee - that I would gladly pay an upgrade fee for. Not just the ability to get a fancy frappamochamachiatowhatever-o, but an iced coffee spiked with whiskey. Yup, sign me up baby.

Vibe - meh, it's redundant. Just add more wait staff or an outdoor bar area to the Haven pool area. Ships like Prima & Epic have them, so the other ships can certainly find a corner to add one in with a simple limited menu offering.

Thermal spa - meh. In all the cruises we've taken I've never stepped foot in the spa once. Not a value add for me, so calling it a 'free' perk won't tickle me at all.

But yeah, free cans of soda absolutely. The simple deli style fridge with grab and go bottles of water and cans of Coke - absolutely an easy perk for them to add on. They can monitor for abuse fairly easy without it being a babysitting thing. Classic drink package included for 'free' - again, absolutely. Not having to show my card every single place I went with Celebrity was nice. Even if it's just in the Haven restaurant and bar - nice touch to say "Hey, we know you belong here, everything's included." If you want something more premium, you can flash your VIP card as needed. Gets people to really view the Haven area as a special place to be and hang out.

Lots of ways NCL can add small, simple tweaks that don't cost them a lot but increase the perceived value add a lot to narrow the gap between cruise lines.

@Sailing12Away Thank you for taking the time to comment.  My main point was, the Haven has to evolve in value to sustain the investment it is now at.  This is compared to other brand, ship and stateroom options.  Now what I would think is a value, might be a complete waste to other.  That is why their are so many brands and options.  Again, thank you for your comments.

• Like 3

I sailed on the Escape this past summer in the Haven and will be on the Prima in March and the Encore in June. I'm looking at the Bliss for March 2025.

Is the Haven essentially the same on all of these ships? Or does it vary? If so, has anyone made any type of comparison chart (or is there a published one?) of the different ships and what the Haven is like or each one?

Thanks for any help.

15 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@Sailing12Away

• Coffee:  All Haven guest should have complementary Starbucks coffees.  I know that all Haven Guest can gain the French Press from the Haven Restaurant but that is loved or hated.  Other brands have a full fledge barista bar that is complementary to everyone on the ship.
  •  
  • Specialty Restaurants:  These should be complementary to all Haven Guests.  At absolute least, just provide every Haven Guest with the Free at Sea Plus program.  
  •  

The coffee thing can be kinda of given easily by providing a self service coffee machine like the one they have on the observation lounge on NCL Joy.and putting it either in the bar area or pool area.  The beans they use is the same beans they use in Starbucks. 

As for the FAS program, if you book under the UK bookings you get all that as part of the Haven packages. And not just what is on offer at the time. The normal FAS are including. Set number of minutes of WiFi that you can upgrade, some nights at speciality dining, credit on shore excursions and normal drinks package that you can upgrade..

it is why we did Haven  in the first place. Cos paying them separately with a balcony make no sense when we could just a Haven suite for same price. 

remember though UK bookings are different US bookings. We lose our deposit if we cancel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Yinster said:

Sthrngary - will you be creating a new Haven thread for 2024? 

@Yinster Wow, I never thought of doing that.  I think not at this time.  The key to the original thread and the updated 2022 thread was to help other get every ounce of value from the Haven.  The original thread pales in comparison to the wonderful comments in real time by all the Haven Cruisers over the years.  

Funny thing on the Secrets of the Haven and on the other thread I wrote on the Premium Plus Beverage Program. NCL seems to change things when they see we figured out how to leverage all their amenities.  Then folks cruise, see some of what used to be part of the privileges are now gone.  That is interesting but a credit to all the folks that made all the great comments over the years. 

Thank you for asking, I love the topic.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@Yinster 

Funny thing on the Secrets of the Haven and on the other thread I wrote on the Premium Plus Beverage Program. NCL seems to change things when they see we figured out how to leverage all their amenities.  Then folks cruise, see some of what used to be part of the privileges are now gone.  

The reason I asked is simply cos this thread is very long now and to for you to create the new one. Plus having 2022 in the title kinda of dates it. Like you say, things evolved including the Haven

You will be surprised who reads on here. Eyes and ears everywhere.

TBH as a company there's two ways to make profit when costs keep rising. Either raise prices and/or cut benefits. it's just business.

18 minutes ago, Yinster said:

TBH as a company there's two ways to make profit when costs keep rising. Either raise prices and/or cut benefits. it's just business.

@Yinster The issue happening is what we all simply have to weigh.  Cutting benefits when you are also raising prices it my issue.  I am of the thoughts, raise the price to keep with the rising costs; Just don't cut the benefits and amenities while raising prices.  Every business especially a great business like NCL deserves a fair profit.  Especially after the hardship they went through with no clients, having to gain funding during the covid times.  We as loyal brand and Haven cruisers fully understand that.  It is just business.  

However, we came to the Haven for a different kind of cruise experience.  We did not want to give up the grand mega ship attractions yet we wanted a certain level of luxury, exclusivity, and quality at the same time.  The notion of a "Ship within a Ship" concept was initially the "Best of Both Worlds".  What was missing was a really good way to consider this concept of the Haven. Information written from a guest point of view.  That is what this and other threads offered and it had a significant impact on he popularity of the Haven Concept (unprovable just boosting). 

Once we all knew the Plus/Minus, we evaluated the Value Proposition and the Haven became for many of us myself included "The Only Way To Cruise".  Slowly as one could have expected, the investment went up.  Especially on the newer ships. I don't know when the line of value vs investment was crossed but it was.  We can all live with that.  It is when price goes up and value in the form of what was provided in the past, is not in the future.  Little things started to be reported and all of a sudden, it opened up the thought to look at other brands simply base on cost comparison.

That is the history.  All I am saying is, NCL has to rethink the Haven Concept.  Either increase amenities and benefits to support increased pricing.  OR, Decrease amenities and benefits and reduce prices.  You can't have it both ways.  Well you can actually and when folks figure it out, they look at your competition and other brands.  That is happening factually is we all read other blogs on CruiseCritic.com.  It is also happening to Celebrity Retreat and MSC Yacht Club guest.  NCL is simply my favorite cruise brand with the Haven dear to my hear.  That is why I focus on the topic. 

Do I love the Haven, YES.  Will I cruise in the Haven again, YES.  Will I support those that cruise the Haven, YES. Is it a great concept, YES.  NCL has to ask themselves a question, "Is the Haven part of their future and if so, make it all it can be and make the investment equal to the benefits."  Just my two cents.

• Like 3

I just have 1 ( well, maybe 2-3) question(s) that have probably been answered ( but I am NOT going to go thru 138+ pages to find out).  This will be my first time in Haven ( I know all about the " Letter" from this site.  My question is about dining.  Do I  have to make a reservation for 2 in the Haven?  We don't like to share tables with others ( not that Im a snob, it's just conversations can get a bit heated over certain subjects).  Do I contact my concierge and arrange a table for 2 at a certain time, or just walk in ( like all the specialty restaurants ) and ask for a deuce?.  Can I book Haven dining times on line ( my cruise is 50 days out)?  Thanks

Edited by 9tee2Sea
spelling
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I just have 1 ( well, maybe 2-3) question(s) that have probably been answered ( but I am NOT going to go thru 138+ pages to find out).  This will be my first time in Haven ( I know all about the " Letter" from this site.  My question is about dining.  Do I  have to make a reservation for 2 in the Haven?  We don't like to share tables with others ( not that Im a snob, it's just conversations can get a bit heated over certain subjects).  Do I contact my concierge and arrange a table for 2 at a certain time, or just walk in ( like all the specialty restaurants ) and ask for a deuce?.  Can I book Haven dining times on line ( my cruise is 50 days out)?  Thanks

No, you do not have to make reservations to dine in the Haven.  We've been in the Haven twice and have never made reservations for dining in the Haven.  We've never waited more than 10 minutes for a table and that one time was when the hostess said she could seat us immendiately or if we waited a few minutes she would have a window table for us. 

And, no, you cannot book Haven dining times on line.  In fact, I know of no way one can make reservations for the Haven.

The concierge has nothing to do with the Haven restaurant.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The concierge has nothing to do with the Haven restaurant.

Yes and no. The concierge doesn't have anything to do with the running of the Haven restaurant. However if you wish to invite non haven guests like we have (with a surcharge) then you need to organise that with the concierge and a reservation is kinda of made so the concierge knows when non haven guests are in the haven. The concierge will coordinate with the maitre D with the time. 

• Like 2

Totally agree Sthrngary, NCL shouldn't raise prices and cut benefits but they have. Like everything in life, we value what it is worth. If it's not worth the money, we won't buy. However as long as people pay for the product given, prices will continue to raise and maybe more benefits will get cut.  

• Thanks 1