The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

11 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Oh...the tales, trials and tribulations of air travel.  LOL!  To me, none of the airlines are very good these days.  They just don't care all that much about...you know....their customers.

You do not understand the tales, trials, and tribulations of air travel until you've flown a few MAC (Military Airlift Command) charters.  They make NCL BOGO air look like first class.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

I have a lot more examples of how I have used my card over the years.  My main message just like when you cruise, learn every single advantage, amenity, benefit and leverage them to your benefit.  Regardless of card used.  Not many people do a deep dive and that makes what ever fee you pay less effective.  It is fun once you start the research.

Cruise well and enjoy every benefit. 

My wife used our Chase Sapphire Reserve to order a plastic storage box for our deck.  It came from China and it was made our of card board and about the size of an old bread box.  The seller said they would issue a refund if I paid to ship it back to China.  Chas told them to pound sand and issues a complete refund.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Give an example....in Oct I had a 2BR Haven Suite on an 11-nite Mediterranean Sailing on the Epic.  BEAUTIFUL Haven...arguably the best in the fleet. But, the Epic is over a dozen years old.  Still a very nice ship.  But, scored the fare for $4,700 and change all in.  

I really like the Haven on Epic.  I just wondering if the $4,700 was per passenger or was this a huge deal if it was for the cabin?  I am also a fan of the 2BR Villas.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I really like the Haven on Epic.  I just wondering if the $4,700 was per passenger or was this a huge deal if it was for the cabin?  I am also a fan of the 2BR Villas.

Per cabin.  I originally had a Haven Suite.  My TA had called me and told me for $112 I could upgrade to a 2BR Haven Suite.  WAY TOO MUCH ROOM than I needed, but who knows when or if I'll be able to sail in a 2BR Haven Suite?  I booked it and really SPREAD OUT.  I had a bathroom right as I entered the cabin.  So, I didn't have to walk another 10 feet to use the one in the main bedroom.  LOL!

It was a confluence of circumstances.  The World Cup was going on at the time.  The week before my sailing and the week after my sailing the Epic was chartered by some sort of sanctioning body of the World Cup.  Although, my sailing was sold out, I guess there was some confusion leading up to the sailing whether my sailing was available.

None of the fares I quote are per person.  They're always per cabin.  I think total out of pocket is the only way to do apples to apples comparisons on these fares.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Per cabin.  I originally had a Haven Suite.  My TA had called me and told me for $112 I could upgrade to a 2BR Haven Suite.  WAY TOO MUCH ROOM than I needed, but who knows when or if I'll be able to sail in a 2BR Haven Suite?  I booked it and really SPREAD OUT.  I had a bathroom right as I entered the cabin.  So, I didn't have to walk another 10 feet to use the one in the main bedroom.  LOL!

It was a confluence of circumstances.  The World Cup was going on at the time.  The week before my sailing and the week after my sailing the Epic was chartered by some sort of sanctioning body of the World Cup.  Although, my sailing was sold out, I guess there was some confusion leading up to the sailing whether my sailing was available.

None of the fares I quote are per person.  They're always per cabin.  I think total out of pocket is the only way to do apples to apples comparisons on these fares.

Wow!  Keep me in mind if you find a deal like that again!!  (Our luggage really enjoys their own bedroom.) 😊 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

@graphicguy

@Sthrngary

Question: how do you guys book your hotel and airfare?  Do you go direct to the provider or do you book through the travel card?

I do my own.  The only time I use AMEX travel is for award travel.

I book my own airfare and hotels.  That said, for hotels, I usually look at Expedia, Hotels.com and Booking.com, as well as directly with the hotel.  It's 50-50 that one of the booking sites has some sort of deal going on. Plus, I accrue points by using them.  Marriott is a little different as they usually have the best rates if going direct on one of their properties.

Airlines I go direct through Delta.  Their fares were always high when they had a hub in Cincinnati.  Now that the moved that hub to Detroit, their fares have become more competitive out of CVG.  Since Delta flies to the ports I usually go in and out of (FLL, MIA, MCO, LGA, BCN, CDG) it's easy to compare rates.  Sometimes I'll find a better rate with another airline, but that's rare.  And again, I get Delta Sky Miles, which I use a lot.  I don't pay for many flights except for the small "administrative fee" for the reward flights.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

@graphicguy

@Sthrngary

Question: how do you guys book your hotel and airfare?  Do you go direct to the provider or do you book through the travel card?

@RocketMan275 Thank you for asking.

Hotels:  I am a lifetime Marriott Titanium Elite member so like with airlines, that has some benefits. The first is Room Upgrades, internet, a bottle of wine and free breakfast. On a recent Mediterranean Cruise for 10 days, I stayed at a Marriot property in Athens and at the end of the cruise in Barcelona. I booked both reservation directly with the hotels and double checked the prices on third party sources.  I booked them a year or so in advance and my quote was the lowest price on both hotels.

Airfare:  Oh boy is this a loaded question.  So let me start with a disclaimer because in the past, some contributors who are true experts on flights ripped me to shreds.  Here goes, my experience is mine and yours may vary.  I traveled by air for 40 years.  That does not make me an expert. 

On to answering your question.  I book directly with Delta.  Prior to booking, I do a mock booking to see what the cost could be.  Delta does not allow you to make reservation until 330 days prior to the flight.  So I make the reservations 319 days before the flight because it is a 10 day cruise and I am spending an extra day in the last port.  I usually only book "Fully Refundable" fares because I want all my money back if I choose to cancel the cruise.  That is until I buy Travel Insurance which would pay for my air if I cancelled.  Prior to booking, I look at what upgrade benefits I have like Global upgrades to Business Class and make sure I understand the rules.  Things like is it good for Fully refundable coach or do I have to do fully refundable comfort coach.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

4 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@RocketMan275 Thank you for asking.

Hotels:  I am a lifetime Marriott Titanium Elite member so like with airlines, that has some benefits. The first is Room Upgrades, internet, a bottle of wine and free breakfast. On a recent Mediterranean Cruise for 10 days, I stayed at a Marriot property in Athens and at the end of the cruise in Barcelona. I booked both reservation directly with the hotels and double checked the prices on third party sources.  I booked them a year or so in advance and my quote was the lowest price on both hotels.

Airfare:  Oh boy is this a loaded question.  So let me start with a disclaimer because in the past, some contributors who are true experts on flights ripped me to shreds.  Here goes, my experience is mine and yours may vary.  I traveled by air for 40 years.  That does not make me an expert. 

On to answering your question.  I book directly with Delta.  Prior to booking, I do a mock booking to see what the cost could be.  Delta does not allow you to make reservation until 330 days prior to the flight.  So I make the reservations 319 days before the flight because it is a 10 day cruise and I am spending an extra day in the last port.  I usually only book "Fully Refundable" fares because I want all my money back if I choose to cancel the cruise.  That is until I buy Travel Insurance which would pay for my air if I cancelled.  Prior to booking, I look at what upgrade benefits I have like Global upgrades to Business Class and make sure I understand the rules.  Things like is it good for Fully refundable coach or do I have to do fully refundable comfort coach.  

54 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I do my own.  The only time I use AMEX travel is for award travel.

I book my own airfare and hotels.  That said, for hotels, I usually look at Expedia, Hotels.com and Booking.com, as well as directly with the hotel.  It's 50-50 that one of the booking sites has some sort of deal going on. Plus, I accrue points by using them.  Marriott is a little different as they usually have the best rates if going direct on one of their properties.

Airlines I go direct through Delta.  Their fares were always high when they had a hub in Cincinnati.  Now that the moved that hub to Detroit, their fares have become more competitive out of CVG.  Since Delta flies to the ports I usually go in and out of (FLL, MIA, MCO, LGA, BCN, CDG) it's easy to compare rates.  Sometimes I'll find a better rate with another airline, but that's rare.  And again, I get Delta Sky Miles, which I use a lot.  I don't pay for many flights except for the small "administrative fee" for the reward flights.

I've been reluctant to book third parties because of the horror stories (BOGO, etc).   I do use a TA for my cruises but I book hotels and airlines direct.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Thanks for the pictures.  Serioiusly considering a cruise on Epic simply to experience the Epic Haven.  Maybe 2026?

I sailed Epic twice.  I like it, a lot!  It doesn’t have the outdoor spaces like the Waterfront, which are on the Breakaway, B+ and Prima series which I love!  But, still a very nice ship!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I sailed Epic twice.  I like it, a lot!  It doesn’t have the outdoor spaces like the Waterfront, which are on the Breakaway, B+ and Prima series which I love!  But, still a very nice ship!

I've got Prima and Encore both booked.  Both in Haven.  We'll see.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I am a lifetime Marriott Titanium Elite member so like with airlines, that has some benefits. The first is Room Upgrades, internet, a bottle of wine and free breakfast.

I'm lifetime Titanium too.  Never got a free bottle of wine?  Is this internationally?  

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 3:57 PM, RocketMan275 said:

What a wonderful story.

That reminds me of another of my favorite sayings: "Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first."

Yeah, she said that a lot!!!!

20 hours ago, graphicguy said:

If you ever get the opportunity for the Epic DOS jump on it!   

Quite the experience getting there.  We booked a suite for 3 on the Jade out of Texas.  A few months later NCL announced it was pulling out of Texas and our cruise was cancelled. 

So we switched to same ship, same suite out of Florida.  A few months later THAT cruise was chartered for a music charter and our cruise was cancelled again.  What are the odds of getting cancelled twice?

They offered us Epic or Dawn.  I had been on Dawn and not thrilled with it.  So we booked Epic.  They would not give us a two bedroom Haven suite for three of us their solution was putting my sister and I in a two person suite and my niece in an inside cabin across the hall. She was not 18 yet. Regardless, they said it would be OK. I insisted on getting in writing that she was to receive all the initial sweet privileges that we paid for on the first booking.

After a few days, my sister and I realized we were not happy with these arrangements so we had our travel agent who is my cousin call and ask them what they could do for us to get us in a suite together… we were afraid my niece would just hang out in her own space and we wanted family time… So we went for the DOS and paid extra.  What we paid was reasonable and worth it.  It was a journey getting to that reservation.  No regrets!

Edited by DMH15
Typo

To all my NCL Haven and CruiseCritic.com friends. This weather is not just cold, it can be dangerous. When my area of Alabama is 16 degrees, with light snow.  That tells me very clearly, we are in a Heat Wave compared to the rest of the country. 

Have a plan, help someone in need, work together to keep everyone safe.  We will all be able to cruise together another day.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Daniel A said:

If you're looking for a good bargain to try out Haven, the Epic is the one to keep an eye on. Our first full Haven experience was on Epic and that made us a believer. We were originally in a mini suite (club balcony suite) and prices kept dropping. Cost an extra $100/day to move into the 2br suite and it was worth every penny. Epic has way more 2br suites than they do the standard studio rooms - so those tend to be cheaper than the smaller ones. Don't be afraid to have that extra room for your luggage - we've done it before ourselves and up until 5 mins ago were planning on doing that again next month. Have friends that decided to tag along in the closet and join us.

21 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Epic Haven from last October....

Thanks for sharing the photos. Hopping on board in ~40 days so getting excited to see what she looks like since the last time I was on board several years prior.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

If you're looking for a good bargain to try out Haven, the Epic is the one to keep an eye on. Our first full Haven experience was on Epic and that made us a believer. We were originally in a mini suite (club balcony suite) and prices kept dropping. Cost an extra $100/day to move into the 2br suite and it was worth every penny. Epic has way more 2br suites than they do the standard studio rooms - so those tend to be cheaper than the smaller ones. Don't be afraid to have that extra room for your luggage - we've done it before ourselves and up until 5 mins ago were planning on doing that again next month. Have friends that decided to tag along in the closet and join us.

Thanks for sharing the photos. Hopping on board in ~40 days so getting excited to see what she looks like since the last time I was on board several years prior.

Have sailed in the Haven on the Breakaway, Getaway and Epic.  Nothing at all bad about the "Away" ships Haven.  But, the Epic's was better in every way.  That said, it has just been refurbished, too.

I'm sure you'll love it.

PS...looking at my pics, again...I can still smell the Haven (all good) and remember all those I met and helped me while on board.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

It was Barcelona.  That was a nice touch.

I've found benefits much better abroad for Titanium members.  Some US hotels are reticent to even offer breakfast (if no concierge lounge - Mclub now, I think).  But hotels in Europe and Britain have been wonderful about an amenity in the room and upgrades - and definite lounge access without a question. 

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

To all my NCL Haven and CruiseCritic.com friends. This weather is not just cold, it can be dangerous. When my area of Alabama is 16 degrees, with light snow.  That tells me very clearly, we are in a Heat Wave compared to the rest of the country. 

Have a plan, help someone in need, work together to keep everyone safe.  We will all be able to cruise together another day.

16 degrees? You are having a heat wave.   In Huntsville (90 miles north of you), the temp is 13 degrees.  pretty much all the roads are closed.  Made a big kettle of chicken chili yesterday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Have sailed in the Haven on the Breakaway, Getaway and Epic.  Nothing at all bad about the "Away" ships Haven.  But, the Epic's was better in every way.  That said, it has just been refurbished, too.

I'm sure you'll love it.

PS...looking at my pics, again...I can still smell the Haven (all good) and remember all those I met and helped me while on board.

Isn't that balcony snakk