What’s up with Zuiderdam testing?

kelmac

My wife and I were tested in Ft Lauderdale before boarding the Zuiderdam, like everyone else. At check in we (all passengers) were all given another COVID test (rapid test), and two days into the cruise we all will be tested again.  Not sure why we need three tests.

What am I missing? — I’m sure it’s no big deal, but strange.

Kel

I believe it's called: jumping through the CDC, ship, and ports passed through or stopped at, hoops! It all nicely adds to the stress level as to whether any single one test will come back positive, which of course could be a false reading. With a very very minor sore throat, at the beginning of this year, I had a rapid antigen test done that was negative. Just to be on the safe side, the same day,  I had a PCR test that was positive!

5 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

I believe it's called: jumping through the CDC, ship, and ports passed through or stopped at, hoops! It all nicely adds to the stress level as to whether any single one test will come back positive, which of course could be a false reading. With a very very minor sore throat, at the beginning of this year, I had a rapid antigen test done that was negative. Just to be on the safe side, the same day,  I had a PCR test that was positive!

For the tests on board ship on day 3 any positive result is confirmed by a PCR.

Antigen tests are known to miss as many as 50% of infections in asymptomatic cases,  even missing 30% in symptomatic individuals.

In the cases of those places that require testing at the pier and on day 3, the requirements are driven by the destination.  Both Panama and Hawaii have placed the additional requirements on ships.  Panama also requires bridge personal to undergo a PCR test before the pilots for the canal transit board the ship.

The ship has two alternatives, do the requested tests, or not, in which case the alternative is to cancel the cruise.