Can I add Gift Card to my account?

tampabrat22

Hello. I have some gift cards I'd like to add to our account. I called Princess on Tuesday and was told I could do it onboard. The same rep called me back yesterday and told me she wasn't 100% confident in the information she gave me so she asked her supervisor and was told I needed to redeem them online before boarding and I would not be able to do it onboard. I have tried to do it online, but unless I am purchasing something I have not been able to figure out how to add the balance to my account. So can these be applied onboard or is it possible to do on the website?

44 minutes ago, tampabrat22 said:

Hello. I have some gift cards I'd like to add to our account. I called Princess on Tuesday and was told I could do it onboard. The same rep called me back yesterday and told me she wasn't 100% confident in the information she gave me so she asked her supervisor and was told I needed to redeem them online before boarding and I would not be able to do it onboard. I have tried to do it online, but unless I am purchasing something I have not been able to figure out how to add the balance to my account. So can these be applied onboard or is it possible to do on the website?

Ha! So much incorrect information from Princess.

You can call and buy OBC with your gift cards OR you can go to guest services once on the ship and they can add the card directly to your account.

I did both of these in January for my cruise on the Enchanted

Quick Note: Keep your gift cards once applied if you cancel the funds are put back on the same gift cards

Edited by Jadn13
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

Ha! So much incorrect information from Princess.

You can call and buy OBC with your gift cards OR you can go to guest services once on the ship and they can add the card directly to your account.

I did both of these in January for my cruise on the Enchanted

Quick Note: Keep your gift cards once applied if you cancel the funds are put back on the same gift cards

Thank you so much! I trust the info here from the pros!!

2 hours ago, tampabrat22 said:

unless I am purchasing something I have not been able to figure out how to add the balance to my account.

Just responding to this. Not to the additional questions re: adding onboard. 

I buy refundable onboard credit by sending a copy of the card to my PVP. I've read elsewhere you can also do it through chat. The OBC can be bought in any amount, you are not limited to the $25 - $50 - $100 (I've even bought odd dollar & change values) 

Edited by Ombud
Fat fingers typo
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Just responding to this. Not to the additional questions re: adding onboard. 

I buy refundable onboard credit by sending a copy of the card to my PVP. I've read elsewhere you can also do it through chat. The OBC can be bought in any amount, you are not limited to the $25 - $50 - $100 (I've even bought odd dollar & change values) 

That's great info, thank you!

It was a surprise to me when I could use a debit card (refund/reimbursement) from a different company.  I took the information to the Purser's Desk.  The first person didn't know what she was doing, but lucky for me, the person next to her was a pro.  Entered my few dollars as OBC.  

Be sure you have a print out with the account number, pin number, and amount on "digital card".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

Hmmm... I left the gift cards with my TA. I doubt that he kept them. If my cruise is cancelled they won't be able to refund my money on cards that no longer exist. Since I used $6,250 in gift cards (the $250 was a digital card with no expiration date) I will definitely want my money back if they cancel the cruise. I doubt I would be the first person to have this issue and would guess there is a mechanism to handle the issue. I know many people have paid for cruises with credit cards that were then replaced with new cards.

It’s a shame that Princess reps won’t even read the Gift Cards FAQs to provide accurate info.

Q: Can I redeem a Princess Cruises Gift Card as payment toward an existing booking or for onboard products and services?
A: Yes, the Princess Cruises Gift Card is flexible to use.  Gift Cards may be redeemed via Cruise Personalizer for cruise bookings that were made by calling 1-800-PRINCESS, or through your travel consultant for bookings made by your travel consultant.  

The Princess Cruises Gift Card may also be applied toward the guest's onboard folio account once the cardholder embarks a Princess Cruise line ship for their cruise vacation experience.  To apply a Princess Cruises Gift Card to your folio, you must present your Gift Card to the Passenger Services Desk onboard your cruise.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/overview/gift-cards/faqs/

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Hmmm... I left the gift cards with my TA. I doubt that he kept them. If my cruise is cancelled they won't be able to refund my money on cards that no longer exist. Since I used $6,250 in gift cards (the $250 was a digital card with no expiration date) I will definitely want my money back if they cancel the cruise. I doubt I would be the first person to have this issue and would guess there is a mechanism to handle the issue. I know many people have paid for cruises with credit cards that were then replaced with new cards.

Q:  If I have used my Princess Cruises Gift Card to pay for my cruise and I cancel my cruise and am entitled to a refund, how can I receive my refund?
A:  If you have your original Princess Cruises Gift Card, a credit will be added back to your original card so please keep your card even after you use the entire value of the card.  If you do not have the original card, contact Princess Cruises Gift Card Customer service at 1-833-907-3079 and a new Princess Cruises Gift Card will be sent to you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I booked over $1,000 worth of excursions from about 7 gift cards and when I cancelled the amounts were refunded back to the individual  cards. I’m sure they have system in place for those who no longer have the original cards, or at least I hope they do.

14 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

I booked over $1,000 worth of excursions from about 7 gift cards and when I cancelled the amounts were refunded back to the individual  cards. I’m sure they have system in place for those who no longer have the original cards, or at least I hope they do.

How long did it take for the money to go back on the gift cards?

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

It’s a shame that Princess reps won’t even read the Gift Cards FAQs to provide accurate info.

Q: Can I redeem a Princess Cruises Gift Card as payment toward an existing booking or for onboard products and services?
A: Yes, the Princess Cruises Gift Card is flexible to use.  Gift Cards may be redeemed via Cruise Personalizer for cruise bookings that were made by calling 1-800-PRINCESS, or through your travel consultant for bookings made by your travel consultant.  

The Princess Cruises Gift Card may also be applied toward the guest's onboard folio account once the cardholder embarks a Princess Cruise line ship for their cruise vacation experience.  To apply a Princess Cruises Gift Card to your folio, you must present your Gift Card to the Passenger Services Desk onboard your cruise.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/overview/gift-cards/faqs/

Thank you! It even says it can be redeemed on board on the back the card in the fine print but she had me worried. Thank you for this info!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

Only a day or two for the excursions on GC.

2 months  later I’m still waiting for the fare to be refunded to the credit card 

Grrrr!
So far all I have gotten is some of my FCCs back and the taxes for the sailing on my CC.

Edited by suzyed

10 hours ago, Mud_Shark said:

I also took my egift card printout with me and had them add it to our account onboard.  No issue and did not take long at all.

Don

I did the same thing on the cruise I was on last week. ( actually just pulled it up on my iPad). Guest Services added it to my account and gave me a print out showing it was there as refundable OBC.  The whole thing took about 5 minutes. Very easy. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2022 at 12:02 PM, Astro Flyer said:

Just an FYI - I could not apply my $500 Princess gift card to my cruise fare in personalizer. That is because the gift card is in US funds and I am booking from Canada. Confirmed over the phone with Princess some time ago, No biggie as I will add it to my account when I get onboard and it will take care of gratuities for our 19 day Panama Canal cruise in 12 more days - woohoo!

• Thanks 1