Getting ready for a couple Princess cruises. Are we going to have a lot of fun?

Ken the cruiser

We are in our late 60s and have sailed on 4 different Celebrity ships since cruising started back up and are ready for a change. We have an 18 day Panama Canal cruise booked on the Caribbean Princess in late April and a 21 day Mediterranean B3B on the Regal in July. Are Princess cruises still a lot of fun in the evenings and on sea days?

We enjoy going to shows in the main theater as well as attending interactive game shows where getting folks to laugh is the major goal. We also like to play “low stress” trivia where we just sit in the back and play along. Are there a variety of trivia challenges offered on sea days?

Also, how’s the internet service generally speaking? Can one expect to get download speeds of at least 2-3 mbps on sea days? We’re pretty low key and stick to ourselves most of the time, but do enjoy being entertained, even bouncing ping pong balls into cups can be fun if there’s not much going on. 😂

From the way it sounds reading some of the live threads, most folks are having a good time even if they have to wear a mask indoors most of the time. Of course, hopefully the protocols will ease up by the time we sail in late April and over in Europe by the time our July cruise comes along. But if not, that’s ok as we just enjoy cruising.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

No, it’s sheer heck on earth and that’s why, for the months of December, January, February and March, I’ll have more time on a Princess ship than at home.  

It’s honestly a pretty great time to be cruising - many of the ills of crowded ships just simply aren’t happening.  The crews that are back seem happy to be there, and the overall vibe is pleasant and laid back. 

Passengers are (generally) doing their part as well - the overwhelming majority are happy to be resuming cruise vacations and aren’t behaving like K*r*ns/Biffs.  

8 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

No, it’s sheer heck on earth and that’s why, for the months of December, January, February and March, I’ll have more time on a Princess ship than at home.  

It’s honestly a pretty great time to be cruising - many of the ills of crowded ships just simply aren’t happening.  The crews that are back seem happy to be there, and the overall vibe is pleasant and laid back. 

Passengers are (generally) doing their part as well - the overwhelming majority are happy to be resuming cruise vacations and aren’t behaving like K*r*ns/Biffs.  

😂😂 We feel your pain, although we gave ourselves around a month between each of our 4 cruises covering 72 days starting in August.

We have previously sailed on the Diamond, Crown and Island and are definitely looking forward to our upcoming cruises on the Caribbean and Regal. There is just something extra exciting about cruising on a ship for the first time, even if you’ve sailed a similar itinerary before.

I do have another question. We will be in Club Class dining on both of our upcoming cruises and can’t seem to find a reference for the CC dining area on either the Caribbean or Regal deck plans. Any idea which dining room they’re located in on their respective ship?

My first Princess cruise was on the CB so she is and always will be my favorite.  Yes, you will have a WONDERFUL time!  While I think all of the entertainment is great on Princess, I always seem to enjoy the smaller venues like the explorers lounge.  

Club Class dining should be on Deck 6 port side of the Coral dining room.  You will enjoy that too!  Ah, the memories!  

I really enjoyed the aft area on the lido deck overlooking the terrace pool.  There is a bar right there and you can enjoy the ocean views and cocktails.  Wish I was there right now!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Club Class dining should be on Deck 6 port side of the Coral dining room.  You will enjoy that too! 

In January club class was in the Coral dining room on the starboard side of the ship.  As you approach the Coral dining room CC is entered thru the doors on the left.

Edited by capriccio
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, capriccio said:

In January club class was in the Coral dining room on the starboard side of the ship.  As you approach the Coral dining room CC is entered thru the doors on the left.

YES! I meant to say starboard and I don't even know why I said port side!  Thank you!

Just off the Enchanted. I'd say yes, you will have a fun and you will have a good time based on your "wish list.

Masks are generally worn throughout the ship, with the exception being the dining areas and the bars.

Trivia was played many times on the Enchanted but they now seem to theme the games, for example the one we went to was Broadway - they played a song from the soundtrack and you guessed the show.

There's no more passing the answer sheets the next table for scoring - you score it yourself, no cheating!

Production shows are hit and miss if the performers all stay negative, but there were plenty of excellent musicians playing all over the ship venues - and we didn't have any loud bands drowning out the piazza thankfully.

We found the MDR food and service very good although the menus are somewhat curiously put together. 

Have fun!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

Masks are only required outdoors if you’re in a “crowded” situation. 

That is good news to hear as we try to avoid crowded situations if at all possible and never hangout around the pool or any outdoor sitting area. But at the same time we also keep our masks handy when such a case may arise.

55 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Another question. We like to walk outside around the promenade to burn off calories. Not a lot, maybe around 1.5 miles which is usually around 5-6 laps if I remember correctly. Are masks mandatory outside as well during continual walking situations like this?

Caribbean has a full promenade deck to walk…might only want a mask if there are smokers in the bit of smoking area!! (Of course, who knows what the mask policy will be when you sail??)

On Regal, there are areas on both sides where you can get outside on the “promenade” deck but can only walk up & down each side as no access to the bow & stern. Regal does have a nice walking track way up high, behind the MUTS screen. It isn’t an oval so it’s nice that it curves this way and that. There are little exercise pieces along the way if you want to try those.

14 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

And to be super-clear, the situation is rapidly evolving - assuming Princess opts for Vaccination Standard of Excellence status, this will likely be moot by the time you sail. 

Wouldn’t that be nice!! It will be interesting to see which major cruise blinks first as far as mandating everyone has to be fully boosted.

7 minutes ago, Dock B said:

Caribbean has a full promenade deck to walk…might only want a mask if there are smokers in the bit of smoking area!! (Of course, who knows what the mask policy will be when you sail??)

On Regal, there are areas on both sides where you can get outside on the “promenade” deck but can only walk up & down each side as no access to the bow & stern. Regal does have a nice walking track way up high, behind the MUTS screen. It isn’t an oval so it’s nice that it curves this way and that. There are little exercise pieces along the way if you want to try those.

Thanks! The shaded promenades are definitely the ones that attract us the most. If there are a bunch of smokers in a certain section, we’ll just turn around and walk the other way, unless of course there are arrows showing you which direction to walk in. If that’s the case, we’ll just walk fast. 😂

As far as the Regal partial promenades go, that seems to be becoming the standard for the newer ships, which is fine. We will just walk back and forth on the shady side. 

• Like 1

Another question. This one involves the internet. Can you access the Cruise Critic forums with the internet service that comes with the Best.Sale.Ever Medallion Net service?

I know this sounds like an odd question. But on Celebrity with their All Included package (except if you’re in a suite), you get the Basic Surf package which doesn’t provide multilayered website access capability if there are 1100+ passengers onboard. Why 1100+ you ask? Because with the Celebrity Basic Surf internet package when there are over 1000-1100 passengers, the download speeds start to deteriorate to around 0.4 to 0.6 mbps, which is only good to check email and browse some simple websites. If you want speeds between 2-3 mbps, you have to upgrade to their streaming package for around $12 additional per day.

So, how’s the Medallion Net service on the high seas?

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Another question. We like to walk outside around the promenade to burn off calories. Not a lot, maybe around 1.5 miles which is usually around 5-6 laps if I remember correctly. Are masks mandatory outside as well during continual walking situations like this?

On the Royal class ships a mile is 7 times around the track (there is no promenade).  On the other ships, a mile is almost 3 laps around the promenade (IIRC it was 2.7 laps on the Caribbean Princess in January).

26 minutes ago, capriccio said:

On the Royal class ships a mile is 7 times around the track (there is no promenade).  On the other ships, a mile is almost 3 laps around the promenade (IIRC it was 2.7 laps on the Caribbean Princess in January).

On the Regal deck plan on the Princess website on Deck 7, there are 2 small “ocean viewing” sections outside Crooners (port side forward) and near the Shops of Princess (starboard side forward) and the Vista Lounge (near the aft both sides). There are also tenders noted between these two sections. Is there by chance a passenger accessible walkway next to the tenders, but not shown, that connects those small “ocean viewing” sections or are they pretty much isolated like they appear to be?

Another question. This one involves the internet. Can you access the Cruise Critic forums with the internet service that comes with the Best.Sale.Ever Medallion Net service?

I know this sounds like an odd question. But on Celebrity with their All Included package (except if you’re in a suite), you get the Basic Surf package which doesn’t provide multilayered website access capability if there are 1100+ passengers onboard. Why 1100+ you ask? Because with the Celebrity Basic Surf internet package when there are over 1000-1100 passengers, the download speeds start to deteriorate to around 0.4 to 0.6 mbps, which is only good to check email and browse some simple websites. If you want speeds between 2-3 mbps, you have to upgrade to their streaming package for around $12 additional per day.

So, how’s the Medallion Net service on the high seas?

Last September I was on Majestic with about 1800-1900 other people. Not only could I access CC with the standard service, I could watch YouTube and Twitch livestreams. 

As someone accustomed to what passes for internet service on NCL, I was impressed by the Princess version! 

The internet speed, the Medallion tech, and the cinnamon sugar doughnuts at the International Cafe were enough to lure me back for another Princess cruise next week. 

• Thanks 1

I agree with those who say your wish list will be granted!

We were on Enchanted last month. Incredible journey, but there is no more promenade. To walk around, you need to go to Sky Deck (I think.)

• Thanks 1

On the Regal deck plan on the Princess website on Deck 7, there are 2 small “ocean viewing” sections outside Crooners (port side forward) and near the Shops of Princess (starboard side forward) and the Vista Lounge (near the aft both sides). There are also tenders noted between these two sections. Is there by chance a passenger accessible walkway next to the tenders, but not shown, that connects those small “ocean viewing” sections or are they pretty much isolated like they appear to be?

We were able to walk between the two sections when on Regal in 2019. The walkway was quite narrow (not like a promenade), with equipment in the way of a sea view, and you walk past quite a few vents, so it's not the sort of place you'd stay, but yes, you could get between the two. It looked like it *could* be closed off if needed. We found that not many people seemed to know about the aft promenade sections and even though it was a full ship there was always plenty of seating available.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We are just off Sky and walked the ‘promenade’ on both sides one day. As the post above this one notes, it’s difficult to see under/around tenders & equipment. But, once you walk all the way aft, there is a deck, with nice teak chairs!! I imagine most folks don’t find this place. Now, it may not also be on Regal (I’ve sailed Regal twice and don’t remember finding it…but probably wasn’t looking!) so YMMV.

• Thanks 1

We were on the first carribean princess post shut down sailing then on the summit two weeks later and the princess internet was WAY better than the basic celebrity.  We also had more passengers on the princess sailing.  The princess app is also better than the celebrity app, at least for me.  Love being able to order food or drinks from wherever you are, plus the find a friend was also helpful.

• Thanks 1

Princess is the perfect alternative to someone in their 60s coming from Celebrity. They have good, reliable internet, excellent food, and lots of trivia/game shows and fancy shows. Holland America is the other line that's good for passengers coming from Celebrity, also with a senior-dominated crowd that emphasizes good dining and classy ships, without any gimmicks. Both of them have an all-inclusive option, as Celebrity does, and are the upscale lines for Carnival Corp, just as Celebrity is for RCI.