Booster Requirement

RynoWally

Does anyone know whether or not a booster is a requirement to sail on HAL? I see on their website where it says advised? I have had my first 2 shots (Phizer) but I'm done at this point. Just wondering before I pay for this Norway cruise, I know I will be fine in Norway as of now, just can't tell with HAL. I guess I could call as well.

42 minutes ago, kazu said:

Not yet.  But that may change if ports require it.  Some countries in Europe are requiring it already.  

My crystal ball is a little fuzzy but you may find Norway may require it.

Don’t forget to check your embarkation port rules as well as you get closer to cruise time.  Personally I would get the booster now for your own protection as well as “dotting your i’s and crossing your t’s” in case of last minute change.  Covid rules are ever evolving.

That all makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1

Hi.

My first comment is the "vaccination up to date" statement is extremely ambiguous. In the U.S. two shots is currently considered up-to-date. Other countries are different.

I think this brings up a question. If HAL was to decide to require the booster, would HAL be obligated to refund the cruises for booked passengers who choose not to get the booster?

• Like 3

In all honesty, I would only be handing over around 800 in total for the offer they gave, I'm not worried about losing that, but the booster on the other hand, like I said I'm done with that. Pretty sure that Norway and Netherlands would just require the testing, so I should be fine there as well, if things change, which very well could happen, I'll be ok with eating the 800.

• Like 2

Here is what the Netherlands is saying about vaccination:

Validity ends 270 days after vaccination (without booster)

From 1 February 2022 a Digital COVID Certificate (DCC) based on proof of vaccination is valid for 270 days after you received the final dose of your primary vaccination. From 8 February 2022 paper proof of vaccination is also valid for 270 days.

Getting a booster vaccination extends the validity of your proof of vaccination. You can travel to the Netherlands with the new proof of vaccination.

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/requirements-for-proof-of-vaccination

What Up to Date means:   https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/stay-up-to-date.html

Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible.

Fully vaccinated means a person has received their primary series of COVID-19 vaccines.

So, if they require you to be fully vaccinated, you just need the original vaccine sequence.  If they require you to be up to date, you need the booster.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, dfish said:

Here is what the Netherlands is saying about vaccination:

Validity ends 270 days after vaccination (without booster)

From 1 February 2022 a Digital COVID Certificate (DCC) based on proof of vaccination is valid for 270 days after you received the final dose of your primary vaccination. From 8 February 2022 paper proof of vaccination is also valid for 270 days.

Getting a booster vaccination extends the validity of your proof of vaccination. You can travel to the Netherlands with the new proof of vaccination.

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/requirements-for-proof-of-vaccination

What Up to Date means:   https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/stay-up-to-date.html

Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible.

Fully vaccinated means a person has received their primary series of COVID-19 vaccines.

So, if they require you to be fully vaccinated, you just need the original vaccine sequence.  If they require you to be up to date, you need the booster.  

Very much appreciated, I guess I have until Mid March when the offer goes until, to make a decision, I thought the Netherlands dropped vaccination status and only went to testing, but this makes more sense. Unless things change I will probably have to pass on the free cruise....Such a good deal to only have to pay the port fees and taxes, makes me wonder how desperate the industry is.

• Like 1

The only line I am aware of that requires it is Azamara starting March 1st.  HAL did advise passengers booked on the Feb 27th Zuiderdam sailing to Hawaii that “it was highly likely “ that Hawaii would require it for that cruise.  We ended up canceling so not sure how it is today.  At this point the requirements are going to be driven by the country and ports you visit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RynoWally said:

Very much appreciated, I guess I have until Mid March when the offer goes until, to make a decision, I thought the Netherlands dropped vaccination status and only went to testing, but this makes more sense. Unless things change I will probably have to pass on the free cruise....Such a good deal to only have to pay the port fees and taxes, makes me wonder how desperate the industry is.

Geez, seems a shame to miss out on a free cruise over a shot and believe me, I am tired and wanting to move on as well but I am triple vaccinated.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Geez, seems a shame to miss out on a free cruise over a shot and believe me, I am tired and wanting to move on as well but I am triple vaccinated.

Yeah, I know. I understand both sides, I have already had covid. I also have a wife who is type 1 diabetic who is boosted, but after much discussion with her and my physician about current factors, I've decided to not do it. To each their own. Maybe I will reassess next year, maybe....

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

The only line I am aware of that requires it is Azamara starting March 1st.  HAL did advise passengers booked on the Feb 27th Zuiderdam sailing to Hawaii that “it was highly likely “ that Hawaii would require it for that cruise.  We ended up canceling so not sure how it is today.  At this point the requirements are going to be driven by the country and ports you visit.

Hawaii dropped their booster requirement.

https://hawaiitourismauthority.org/news/news-releases/2022/covid-19-booster-shots-not-required-for-travel-to-hawaii/

• Like 1

Yes, as posted above by @dfish if you have only had the primary dose(s) (ie. two shots Pfizer) then when 270 days have passed you are considered as unvaccinated.

A booster shot extends the validity of the vaccinated status and the 270 days does not come into play. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, RynoWally said:

Yeah, I know. I understand both sides, I have already had covid. I also have a wife who is type 1 diabetic who is boosted, but after much discussion with her and my physician about current factors, I've decided to not do it. To each their own. Maybe I will reassess next year, maybe....

Good luck, hope you can go!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seatrial said:

Hi.

My first comment is the "vaccination up to date" statement is extremely ambiguous. In the U.S. two shots is currently considered up-to-date. Other countries are different.

I think this brings up a question. If HAL was to decide to require the booster, would HAL be obligated to refund the cruises for booked passengers who choose not to get the booster?

Even in the US fully vaccinated means that one has completed the series.  Vaccination up to date means vaccination plus boosters.  You just do not run into it much because boosters are generally not required.

• Like 2

French Polynesia is following France in that if it has been over 270 days since you were vaccinated you will not be considered to be vaccinated without a booster.

Important: For all fully vaccinated travelers over 18 years old, the vaccination status remains complete beyond 9 months only if the traveler has received an additional dose (booster). (Decree n°2021-699)

In other words, when a traveler has completed a full vaccination (1 dose Janssen or 2 doses Pfizer / Moderna / Astrazeneca ), he will have to receive a booster shot before traveling to French Polynesia if his last dose is 9 months old or more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Good luck, hope you can go!

I went ahead and booked it just now, its basically a free 14 day cruise, just need to pay for Port Fees and Taxes, and of course the flights. If I have to get the booster, fine, I guess. With that savings it was very hard to pass up.

• Like 3

Just now, RynoWally said:

I went ahead and booked it just now, its basically a free 14 day cruise, just need to pay for Port Fees and Taxes, and of course the flights. If I have to get the booster, fine, I guess. With that savings it was very hard to pass up.

👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RynoWally said:

And the cost of the booster shot will not add even a penny to your cost.

RynoWally

I suspect that I share some of the same concerns about long-term effects of repeated doses of this type of vaccine. If I were eligible for this very low rate, I would also have difficulty deciding what to do. Lucky for me, my rate is more than 10x yours. I wish I understood how some are offered this rate any others are not. 

• Like 1