Samba grill

COCKYMARK

Keeping in mind that opinions regarding food is likely one of the most suggestive topics around, I will add that we are among the dissenting votes here regarding Samba.  Experienced it twice on Allure on two different cruises - the most recent this past December on a Holiday cruise, and it is one of our least favorite of any of the RCCL SR's.  Wasn't real thrilled the first time so we decided to try it again and found the second experience less pleasing than the first.  Will not go back for a third try.  IMO it falls way short by comparison of a true Brazilian steak house such as Fogo de Chao, and others.

Again, just my subjective opinion.

Don't usually spend extra for food, but I really want to try it when we go on Allure in April. Light on and meat keeps arriving. Sounds perfect to me. Also want to try the deluxe tapas menu in Vintages. Usually go on older ships and want to take advantage of options we normally don't have. Doing b2b for 14 nights gives us plenty of time also.

Edited by coaster

20 minutes ago, coaster said:

Don't usually spend extra for food, but I really want to try it when we go on Allure in April. Light on and meat keeps arriving. Sounds perfect to me. 

Not at all picking on you, but the delivery signal at Samba is a round card, red on one side and green on the other.  Red means stop, and green means go.  You forget to turn it over to red and they keep on coming....LOL.

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Not at all picking on you, but the delivery signal at Samba is a round card, red on one side and green on the other.  Red means stop, and green means go.  You forget to turn it over to red and they keep on coming....LOL.

Thanks for the details. Just have to try it for myself and appreciate your review.

41 minutes ago, coaster said:

Thanks for the details. Just have to try it for myself and appreciate your review.

Again, food is very subjective and everyone's experience and review is their own - and equally correct as anyone else's, regardless of if they disagree.  You have to experience it for yourself to know.  

We also loved Sabor when it was first introduced on Navigator a number of years ago, but were extremely disappointed with it recently on Allure.  Was a new format that IMO was just a little more upscale Rita's Cantina, which used to occupy that venue.  (Actually preferred Rita's previously!). So you just never know....

And as mentioned before, all just my opinion.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

6 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

If I remember correctly, they used to have color-selectable lights for Samba Grill. I'm not surprised to hear that they've gone by the wayside as they probably don't have replacements for when they failed.

10 minutes ago, Daghis said:

If I remember correctly, they used to have color-selectable lights for Samba Grill. I'm not surprised to hear that they've gone by the wayside as they probably don't have replacements for when they failed.

You are probably correct, Marc, although I don't really recall that. (But then again, memory lapses are no surprise anymore!)  But they now are using cards - probably for the reason you mention.

3 minutes ago, Daghis said:

Ooh, I found this photo from 2010 on the Royal Caribbean Incentives website. You can see the white-lit signs on the tables. Those could also be lit up as red or green as well as off.

image.png.dc8aff199b8992080717c876c27b1991.png

Thanks for posting this, Marc.  This was back when they were trying to make this restaurant work !  They always covered the tables and chairs and there was a Carnivale show. It was actually fun back then. The food was still somewhat marginal but at least it was attractive and festive.  The last time we went….no table or chairs covers and no show.  Unfortunate 

49 minutes ago, Daghis said:

Ooh, I found this photo from 2010 on the Royal Caribbean Incentives website. You can see the white-lit signs on the tables. Those could also be lit up as red or green as well as off.

image.png.dc8aff199b8992080717c876c27b1991.png

I'm sure our first time there was more like 2015 - 16?  Don't remember the lights then.  Nice touch, however.

We just got off Allure this morning from out six day cruise.  We ate at Samba twice during the cruise - second and fourth nights.  It is the best meal on the ship.  Our cruise had a selection of seven meats -

fillet, lamb chop, skirt steak, roast beef, beef ribs, pork loin, and chicken wrapped in bacon.  I tried everything but the pork.  They were all delicious.  And the best part is after all the meat they bring out pineapple on a stick that has been roasted.  Great way to end the meal.  All this for $30, or half that if you are D+ or Pinnacle and use your BOGO.  

• Like 1