Spending Generous OBC

cruisinclined

With the generous OBC offers currently available there are likely to be a large number of guests with short term 'assets' to spend, as will we in the Med. this summer. We are experienced cruisers with around 40 cruises and so have our customs and preferences established through regular travel but rarely get OBC as UK travel agents seem to absorb it (and credit us) in the package, but not this time.

A nice 'problem' to have, some might say but with up to (or even exceeding) $1400 a cruise to use, double that if back to back, what are the options? Those of you with experience can perhaps advise. There are possible areas for us:

1. Excursions- but am assuming these can only be booked using OBC when on board? So popular trips may have been filled. We would normally enjoy a mid -morning walk in the location visited and we have seen most of the sights in the Med. Some more than once. Plus early rises and departures would not normally be our thing and fewer excursions leave later in the day.

2. Speciality restaurants- but with suite guests a priority and lots of guests with OBC, could be a fight to book tables in very busy (and small) restaurants. Ok we will need to be hot off the blocks!

3. Wine packages- yes, one of us will enjoy a higher grade of wine but sensible consumption will  be a factor and  around 3 glasses an evening will be about it. Not a spirits or cocktail enthusiast. So some OBC to spend on drinks but not a lot.

4. Spa- yes some treatments there will be welcome, again could be a rush to book. Hairdressers, not needed.

5. Clothing and other shop items-yes if there are things we need. But we would not normally look to ship shops to buy things except small necessities.

I do hope this does not sound like privileged carping, just a puzzle others may have had to deal with. Perhaps I/we are privileged anyway to be on this site and talking about these lovely things. I have read that some guests can find it difficult to use their  OBC and that the cruise line factors in underspending to their offer.

David

Edited by Host Jazzbeau
NO SHOUTING PLEASE

You can purchase  your excursions  before sailing , online through your Azamara account. If you have sailed Azamara previously , use your loyalty number to sign up, through the ‘account’ link top right on web page. It will list your obc in your own currency. Click on the excursions you are interested and it will give you times to choose. Good to have  some  in the bag early. 

Edited by combine
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisinclined said:

With the generous OBC offers currently available there are likely to be a large number of guests with short term 'assets' to spend, as will we in the Med. this summer. We are experienced cruisers with around 40 cruises and so have our customs and preferences established through regular travel but rarely get OBC as UK travel agents seem to absorb it (and credit us) in the package, but not this time.

A nice 'problem' to have, some might say but with up to (or even exceeding) $1400 a cruise to use, double that if back to back, what are the options? Those of you with experience can perhaps advise. There are possible areas for us:

1. Excursions- but am assuming these can only be booked using OBC when on board? So popular trips may have been filled. We would normally enjoy a mid -morning walk in the location visited and we have seen most of the sights in the Med. Some more than once. Plus early rises and departures would not normally be our thing and fewer excursions leave later in the day.

2. Speciality restaurants- but with suite guests a priority and lots of guests with OBC, could be a fight to book tables in very busy (and small) restaurants. Ok we will need to be hot off the blocks!

3. Wine packages- yes, one of us will enjoy a higher grade of wine but sensible consumption will  be a factor and  around 3 glasses an evening will be about it. Not a spirits or cocktail enthusiast. So some OBC to spend on drinks but not a lot.

4. Spa- yes some treatments there will be welcome, again could be a rush to book. Hairdressers, not needed.

5. Clothing and other shop items-yes if there are things we need. But we would not normally look to ship shops to buy things except small necessities.

I do hope this does not sound like privileged carping, just a puzzle others may have had to deal with. Perhaps I/we are privileged anyway to be on this site and talking about these lovely things. I have read that some guests can find it difficult to use their  OBC and that the cruise line factors in underspending to their offer.

Just a note that we found the October cruise lacking if you had intended to use a portion of your onboard credit in the shops.

The selection was extremely limited and we were advised it was due to the recent return to business  and would be improved in subsequent sailings.

I would be interested to know if this has improved.

We have always been satisfied to enjoy the shore excursions and most often are able to use the majority of the credit  this way.

Edited by Ayden
Spelling

46 minutes ago, combine said:

You can purchase  your excursions  before sailing , online through your Azamara account. If you have sailed Azamara previously , use your loyalty number to sign up, through the ‘account’ link top right on web page. It will list your obc in your own currency. Click on the excursions you are interested and it will give you times to choose. Good to have  some  in the bag early. 

That is very helpful advice which I will use, thank you.

3 minutes ago, Ayden said:

Jusr a note that we found the October cruise lacking if you had intended to use a portion of your onboard credit in the shops.

The selection was extremely limited and we were advised it was due to the recent return to business  and would be improved in subsequent sailings.

I would be interested to know if this is the case.

We have always been satisfied to enjoy the shore excursions and most often are able to use the majority of the credit  this way.

Cruising on the Onward in July I hope the shops will at least be stocked, we will not be the only obc spenders!

We just got off the Quest, had $1300 OBC, booked shore excursions before getting onboard, some were canceled and we had to change them, I had a spa treatment (back, shoulders, neck) hot rocks, they tried to sell me a brush and some liquid, I took them back for a refund since I'd never use them (scrub the bathroom tiles maybe, not my body)😜 We did 1 Chef's table, wish we had done 2. DH upgraded his bev pkg to ultimate, I was fine with preferred which was included. We were in a club suite so had Prime C included, but only ate there 2X.  Ended up the last day with about $150 left, he got some very expensive jeans and I got a little purse--the shop is still pathetic, unless you like linen--wrinkle as you look at them--clothes. They really need to up grade that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, silkismom said:

We just got off the Quest, had $1300 OBC, booked shore excursions before getting onboard, some were canceled and we had to change them, I had a spa treatment (back, shoulders, neck) hot rocks, they tried to sell me a brush and some liquid, I took them back for a refund since I'd never use them (scrub the bathroom tiles maybe, not my body)😜 We did 1 Chef's table, wish we had done 2. DH upgraded his bev pkg to ultimate, I was fine with preferred which was included. We were in a club suite so had Prime C included, but only ate there 2X.  Ended up the last day with about $150 left, he got some very expensive jeans and I got a little purse--the shop is still pathetic, unless you like linen--wrinkle as you look at them--clothes. They really need to up grade that. 

Well you really did well, will note some of your suggestions and will try to book the Chef's Table if we can. I take your point about the shops.

We were on Journey in January and had $500 obc. I purchased a day trip for two,  excursion and airport transfer for two, one pedicure (me) and one Coach handbag(me) .

I looked on line at the handbag for a UK price comparison and it was actually £50 cheaper on board  than it was in Fenwicks! I wont tell you how much I paid, (didnt pay) it was really too much but I am happy with it. 

I thought the handbag  prices had increased greatly since we were last  onboard in 2019. There was an awful lot of jewellery that I never even looked at, I do wonder if anyone does buy jewellery? Clothes choice was limited.

I also have generous onboard spending money.  I had already spent mine in my head but with the comment about the shop being disappointing  maybe I shall buy my perfume in the Airport rather than be disappointed on board.  I intend to upgrade to ultimate drinks  package (Already have premium package)   and plan to buy an unlimited Wifi package and spend on shore excursions.  Already have the speciality restaurants being in a suite but definitely would like to try the chef's table. This will be my 5th and 6th Azamara cruise all on the Quest.  (I am a solo passenger and board in a few days B2B exciting times at last).

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, scotsahoy said:

We were also on Journey in January; after Guest  Relations checked up, we were able to pass the OBC we had left to the Crew Welfare Fund and subsequently received a lovely “ thank you” note.

Only if it is refundable OBC, usually given by  Travel Agent.  All OBC given by Azamara is non refundable and can not be used for crew welfare fund. Mostly used my OBC on excursions, but spent the last $200 on Elmis face creams from the spa, they were much cheaper than the brands sold in the shops. Shops need to get better. 

• Like 1

This is an interesting twist with AZ has much included in the base fare.  Gratuities would be one we would use OBC on other lines but that doesn’t work here.  I wish they would allow OBC to go to the “extra tip” pool.  To spend ours, we are booking more ship excursions then normal, hopefully will spend some in restaurants including the CT.  If we have too, I will slurp some expensive wine, the sacrifices one must make 😜.

• Like 3

Pre-Covid we were faced with the weird burden of excessive OBC because our Cuba port had been cancelled due to a US foreign policy decision.  So at the end of the cruise,I bought a watch that I did not want or need.  Once I got home, I sold it on-line, got some cash.  But the sales price was a fraction of what I "paid" at the high-mark-up AZ shop.

On our last Azamara cruise which was aB2B we also had a ridiculous amount of OBC, what did we spend it on.

Excursions

Perfume and aftershave

Jewelry, beautiful bracelet  and matching earrings 

An incredibly expensive handbag with matching purse 👛 

A nice Ralph Lauren zipped cardigan with hood (I hesitate to call it a hoody!)

If you are considering clothing mens larger sizes seemed to sell out quickly so go early.

Yes most of these things I wouldn’t have bought without the OBC, which I suppose we indirectly paid for ourselves but it was fun shopping. I was like a kid in a candy store.

You can always stock up on things for Christmas presents and of course chocolate.

Happy planning

Rosalyn

P.S. after some time there was a small tear in the purse so I complained to customer services and got my money back. I still use it as its soo beautiful.

Edited by cruiseaholic78

I also had trouble using up my OBC.  Non of the tours appealed, and at the time there was always a Covid risk.  The selection of merchandise in the shop was very poor.  We had a couple of meals in the specialty restaurants and I went to the hairdressers twice.  We also paid for some glasses of nice wine, although even then the selection was limited.  I wanted to try the Whispering Angel rose but that was out of stock.  I would have liked to donate the surplus to the crew welfare fund but I did not think that was possible.   I noticed that when signing for a drink or spa treatment there is a space for an addtional tip, so if you give an additional amount does this come off your OBC and does it go directly to the crew member who served you?  Perhaps this could be a way of giving OBC to the crew.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, combine said:

We were on Journey in January and had $500 obc. I purchased a day trip for two,  excursion and airport transfer for two, one pedicure (me) and one Coach handbag(me) .

I looked on line at the handbag for a UK price comparison and it was actually £50 cheaper on board  than it was in Fenwicks! I wont tell you how much I paid, (didnt pay) it was really too much but I am happy with it. 

I thought the handbag  prices had increased greatly since we were last  onboard in 2019. There was an awful lot of jewellery that I never even looked at, I do wonder if anyone does buy jewellery? Clothes choice was limited.

Thanks, handbags and jewellery could be interesting. Transfers already included.

1 hour ago, Marmaduke said:

I also had trouble using up my OBC.  Non of the tours appealed, and at the time there was always a Covid risk.  The selection of merchandise in the shop was very poor.  We had a couple of meals in the specialty restaurants and I went to the hairdressers twice.  We also paid for some glasses of nice wine, although even then the selection was limited.  I wanted to try the Whispering Angel rose but that was out of stock.  I would have liked to donate the surplus to the crew welfare fund but I did not think that was possible.   I noticed that when signing for a drink or spa treatment there is a space for an addtional tip, so if you give an additional amount does this come off your OBC and does it go directly to the crew member who served you?  Perhaps this could be a way of giving OBC to the crew.

Tips are a great idea if the obc isn't being spent. At cruise end some staff  could do really well, and deservedly.

4 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

On our last Azamara cruise which was aB2B we also had a ridiculous amount of OBC, what did we spend it on.

Excursions

Perfume and aftershave

Jewelry, beautiful bracelet  and matching earrings 

An incredibly expensive handbag with matching purse 👛 

A nice Ralph Lauren zipped cardigan with hood (I hesitate to call it a hoody!)

If you are considering clothing mens larger sizes seemed to sell out quickly so go early.

Yes most of these things I wouldn’t have bought without the OBC, which I suppose we indirectly paid for ourselves but it was fun shopping. I was like a kid in a candy store.

You can always stock up on things for Christmas presents and of course chocolate.

Happy planning

Rosalyn

P.S. after some time there was a small tear in the purse so I complained to customer services and got my money back. I still use it as its soo beautiful.

Sounds like the shops were well stocked with desirable stuff- good to know thank you.

David

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KirkNC said:

This is an interesting twist with AZ has much included in the base fare.  Gratuities would be one we would use OBC on other lines but that doesn’t work here.  I wish they would allow OBC to go to the “extra tip” pool.  To spend ours, we are booking more ship excursions then normal, hopefully will spend some in restaurants including the CT.  If we have too, I will slurp some expensive wine, the sacrifices one must make 😜.

Another message suggested adding generous tips to payment slips which could be a way to help some staff, but not more widely as you are suggesting. Az. and other lines are Ok with giving us the challenge and benefiting if we fail to spend it all. Lots of the ideas posted here could just enable me to beat their spending odds though! Thank you for responding.

David

4 hours ago, tv24 said:

Pre-Covid we were faced with the weird burden of excessive OBC because our Cuba port had been cancelled due to a US foreign policy decision.  So at the end of the cruise,I bought a watch that I did not want or need.  Once I got home, I sold it on-line, got some cash.  But the sales price was a fraction of what I "paid" at the high-mark-up AZ shop.

Mmm, you make the point well about the challenge. These posts should help me overcome it!

17 hours ago, suttonrunner said:

I also have generous onboard spending money.  I had already spent mine in my head but with the comment about the shop being disappointing  maybe I shall buy my perfume in the Airport rather than be disappointed on board.  I intend to upgrade to ultimate drinks  package (Already have premium package)   and plan to buy an unlimited Wifi package and spend on shore excursions.  Already have the speciality restaurants being in a suite but definitely would like to try the chef's table. This will be my 5th and 6th Azamara cruise all on the Quest.  (I am a solo passenger and board in a few days B2B exciting times at last).

Some posts suggest shopping could be good with handbags and jewellery mentioned.  Also Christmas gifts. We would also like to book Chef's table, I wonder if this is done on boarding or can it be booked beforehand?

We also liked the Quest.