New Bermuda Covid testing rules and NCL

JGmf

I'm posting this for comment and thoughts now as final payment for my April 26, 5-day Joy NYC sailing to Bermuda is due later this week and Bermuda's recently posted rules seem like a nightmare to implement for my cruise.  I'm assuming NCL's management will need to figure this one out pretty fast, but worst case, the testing logistics, as I view them, may not be doable for some in my party.  I hope I'm wrong.

Prior to the Bermuda rule change, a PCR test was required 4 days prior to embarking on your ship.  Now, as written by the Bermuda authorities,  your test is judged as valid if it's prior to arrival in Bermuda:  2 days prior for an antigen test or 4 days for a PCR test. 

Well, since we'll be on the ship 2 days prior to arrival, unless NCL administers the test at the terminal (that'd be nice), the antigen test option is likely not happening.  The alternate -- getting the 4 day PCR test -- means you are paying for a quite expensive rapid-PCR test on the Sunday(!) prior to embarking....if you can get one, that is. 

This looks like a giant mess.  Knowing this will evolve, I'd love to get your thoughts.

6 minutes ago, JGmf said:

I'm posting this for comment and thoughts now as final payment for my April 26, 5-day Joy NYC sailing to Bermuda is due later this week and Bermuda's recently posted rules seem like a nightmare to implement for my cruise.  I'm assuming NCL's management will need to figure this one out pretty fast, but worst case, the testing logistics, as I view them, may not be doable for some in my party.  I hope I'm wrong.

Prior to the Bermuda rule change, a PCR test was required 4 days prior to embarking on your ship.  Now, as written by the Bermuda authorities,  your test is judged as valid if it's prior to arrival in Bermuda:  2 days prior for an antigen test or 4 days for a PCR test. 

Well, since we'll be on the ship 2 days prior to arrival, unless NCL administers the test at the terminal (that'd be nice), the antigen test option is likely not happening.  The alternate -- getting the 4 day PCR test -- means you are paying for a quite expensive rapid-PCR test on the Sunday(!) prior to embarking....if you can get one, that is. 

This looks like a giant mess.  Knowing this will evolve, I'd love to get your thoughts.

The rules you're reading are intended for air travelers to Bermuda and will likely be adjusted slightly for cruise passengers.

Last year Bermuda tweaked their testing rules to meet the needs of the cruise lines, including NCL, that sailed there. 

Unfortunately the exact details took a while to be finalized so I'd expect the same this year. Cruisers were understandably anxious during while the details were being worked out but in the end cruisers were accommodated . Patience is the key.

I was looking at a cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship from Florida.  I was also anxious about the rules that seemed, at best, a pain.

Looking elsewhere for that time frame now.  I'll wait to see how Bermuda plays out and then, maybe, take a chance with that same cruise in October.  Although I try my very best to avoid hurricane season.

Thanks njhorseman.  I appreciate being talked off the ledge.

Geez, the Bermuda government's covid communications team appears to be, like, one part-time person with a Commodore 64 in their garage who occasionally, sometimes, if they feel like it, does a thorough update of their website.  It's kind of pathetic really.

That's opposed to what I see is a push for tourism with several Bermuda ads during the Olympics.  Not good.

56 minutes ago, JGmf said:

The recommendation is to "go with the flow" if you want to cruise. If you cancel because you don't know today what the protocols will be in a couple of months when you cruise, then you shouldn't be cruising right now. 

NCL will provide you with guidance that is relevant to your specific cruise. Will it change???? Maybe.  (Our three cruises last year had protocols changing up to the day before departure). Thousands of passengers sailed to Bermuda weekly last year. Each had a protocol to follow meet testing and registration requirements. And like many places, the protocols were what the cruise lines had agreed with the local government,,, and not always what you read on the internet. 

Sailing out of NY City and NJ, it is now relatively easy to find and get free Antigen Rapid test (and, depending on the site use - combined with) PCR testing, results available & uploaded with an hour (2 to 3 hours early last month - Jan. for Antigen) or within 3 days for PCR (ours took closer to 4 days then, as all labs/sites were overwhelmed during the Omicron surge) - there are no lines or wait these days, and seeing that OP is from the Albany area, should be able to find a nearby CVS and/or Walgreen locations nearby and schedule it for an upcoming cruise.   We have several to choose from, some are drive-thru locations while others are mobile or pop-up tent locations that are easily accessible.  

Check to see, also, if some of the biomedical labs with PSC (Patient Service Centers) are doing walk-up testing and/or by appointment, ours can be done there & free ... covered by our health plans.  

Sailing this April, relax and wait until or near April 2nd for the Bermuda authorities to update & publish the latest requirements and guidance for testing, and, don't just "count" on NCL to catch up and alert booked passengers (they "should" of course do so)  Positivity numbers for the northeast states have been easing and moving in the proper direction over the last several weeks - and, one should optimistically expect measures to be less restrictive in the near future.  Be flexible.  

P.S.  One can do the walk-up testing without an appointment, 2 days prior to embarkation, as the results are typically available the same day and scheduled a test closer in, just in case - whether it's at an urgent care center or somewhere else, for backup purposes (and, if you have the proctored home test kits available, just as easy to do that within 24 hours of embarkation)

Edited by mking8288

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

Your cruise leaves on a Tuesday. As it is now, you'll have to apply for the Bermuda Travel Authorization one to three weeks before embarkation. For each person. ( The price was $75.00, but is being lowered to $45.00.)You then can schedule your PCR test up to 96hours ( 4 days) before you leave. When you get your results back, you then upload them along with your proof of vaccination to your BTA form. They will then send you your confirmation.

Two days before sailing , you need to do either a PCR or antigen test to board the ship.You should schedule this on Sunday, if possible. Or Monday with quick result turnarounds. I understand that NCL is offering this test at the pier for those who couldn't get the results back in time. For a reported $99.00.

And finally, you'll have another swab taken at the pier. This one is paid for by Bermuda. This one is to make sure that you were still negative 48 hours before arrival.

That's the current testing trifecta in a nutshell. But as Bird Travels stated, stay tuned!! Protocols seem to be changing pretty quickly. (FWIW, most of this info can be gleaned from NCLs Sail Safe postings on February 8.) Happy Sailing!!

8 minutes ago, cruiserbear55 said:

Protocols seem to be changing pretty quickly. (FWIW, most of this info can be gleaned from NCLs Sail Safe postings on February 8.) Happy Sailing!!

Thanks cruisebear55 and others.  I appreciate the feedback and find it helpful.

Um, as of today, NCL's Sail Safe website regarding Bermuda is the largely the same as it was back in December when I did the Bermuda trip on the Gem out of NYC.  I know NCL will eventually sync-up with Bermuda's rules soon enough.  We'll all sit tight and ride it out....

Ultimately, I'm hoping on behalf of not only me, but for the thousands of other NCL Bermuda travelers,  that whatever antigen test we take for NCL to board the ship also serves as double-duty for Bermuda and their testing assurances.  It's only rational, esp since Bermuda is now OK with an antigen test. 

2 hours ago, JGmf said:

Thanks njhorseman.  I appreciate being talked off the ledge.

Geez, the Bermuda government's covid communications team appears to be, like, one part-time person with a Commodore 64 in their garage who occasionally, sometimes, if they feel like it, does a thorough update of their website.  It's kind of pathetic really.

That's opposed to what I see is a push for tourism with several Bermuda ads during the Olympics.  Not good.

Wow! Watch what you’re saying!!!!

• Haha 1

Bermuda is set to make an announcement on their updated requirements on March 7th. Hopefully this will clear up testing & vaccination requirements for the country. There has been reports that they will require a booster if your 2nd shot was taken more than 6 months ago. 

On 2/21/2022 at 12:30 PM, moosecrouse said:

Bermuda is set to make an announcement on their updated requirements on March 7th. Hopefully this will clear up testing & vaccination requirements for the country. There has been reports that they will require a booster if your 2nd shot was taken more than 6 months ago. 

Bermuda posted new requirements on 2/20/22 effective 3/7/22.Is this what you are referring to? Or is there more to come? TY.

According to the new Bermuda rules, we need a test 2 days prior to arrival in Bermuda, not 96 hrs prior to embarking.  So if I leave on a Sunday, I would have to be tested onboard?  Also the TA would also be done when onboard!  Hopefully by May it changes

16 hours ago, cruiserbear55 said:

Bermuda posted new requirements on 2/20/22 effective 3/7/22.Is this what you are referring to? Or is there more to come? TY.

This is what i understood too. implementation of new testing rules and reduced fees ( 70 to 40 $ ) on 3/ 7.  I am glad this topic popped up as I am trying to figure out pre cruise logistics. I figured before our cruise we had time so I'd follow prior cruisers on CC and hope for further easing of restrictions before we travel. 

Another poster on a one of the roll call boards had contacted the Bermuda officials regarding how the new rules would impact cruise travelers.  The officials instructed them to wait until March 7, when they will reportedly release whatever the new cruise rules are....and hopefully update their website.

Anyway, stay tuned.

Best case, as I beat my drum, is that our pre-cruise NCL covid test serves double duty for Bermuda (why shouldn't it?) and we don't have to separately send the pro-forma $40 fee to Bermuda along with our uploaded test results.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, tokidoki said:

According to the new Bermuda rules, we need a test 2 days prior to arrival in Bermuda, not 96 hrs prior to embarking.  So if I leave on a Sunday, I would have to be tested onboard?  Also the TA would also be done when onboard!  Hopefully by May it changes

5 hours ago, charlie murphy said:

This is what i understood too. implementation of new testing rules and reduced fees ( 70 to 40 $ ) on 3/ 7.  I am glad this topic popped up as I am trying to figure out pre cruise logistics. I figured before our cruise we had time so I'd follow prior cruisers on CC and hope for further easing of restrictions before we travel. 

As it is now, we're looking at 3 tests to sail to Bermuda. The 96 hour PCR for the BTA, the 48 hour antigen for boarding, and the antigen test at the pier , again for entry into Bermuda. Talk about overkill!. Hopefully NCL and Bermuda will rectify this and come up with a better plan. Looking forward to 3/7!!

17 minutes ago, cruiserbear55 said:

As it is now, we're looking at 3 tests to sail to Bermuda. The 96 hour PCR for the BTA, the 48 hour antigen for boarding, and the antigen test at the pier , again for entry into Bermuda. Talk about overkill!. Hopefully NCL and Bermuda will rectify this and come up with a better plan. Looking forward to 3/7!!

You've created a mash up of Bermuda's old 2021 cruise season rules and NCL's current general testing requirements . For example Bermuda no longer requires PCR tests for air arrivals so we can expect they won't for cruises either.

Bermuda has not set its rules for 2022 cruise arrivals yet as a couple of posters, myself included, have explained. 

As we've stated you're going to have to wait a bit for the rules to be finalized.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 3

this should help clear things up, I emailed the bermuda dept of health and TA department, looks like they are following the cruise lines guidelines for entry to bermuda

Good day, 

As of March 7th, 2022 all cruise passengers are required to provide proof of a supervised negative COVID-19 test result. These tests are to be done no more than 4 days before your ship leaves port, if it is a PCR. If it is an Antigen test, it is to be done no more than 2 days before your ship leaves port. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Cflagg918.  That's a spark of really good (and sensible) news.

Obviously we'll await the official details, but I'm wondering out loud if we'd still be required to upload the test results and do the official Travel Authorization process through their government website.

• 2 weeks later...

Bermuda has now published its new cruise passenger COVID protocols. As expected they are much easier to comply with than last year's rules, and the travel authorization application fee has been reduced from $75 to $40 as previously announced.

https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

It appears that NCL has updated the information on its website to conform to the new rules.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Bermuda has now published its new cruise passenger COVID protocols. As expected they are much easier to comply with than last year's rules, and the travel authorization application fee has been reduced from $75 to $40 as previously announced.

It appears that NCL has updated the information on its website to conform to the new rules.

Thank you so much for posting this link. I just wanted to double check- each passenger must go to the link and fill out/upload their information themselves, right? NCL does not do anything on behalf of the passengers?

Curious what happens if someone doesn't see the link & doesn't input their information there. 

13 minutes ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

Thank you so much for posting this link. I just wanted to double check- each passenger must go to the link and fill out/upload their information themselves, right? NCL does not do anything on behalf of the passengers?

Curious what happens if someone doesn't see the link & doesn't input their information there. 

Yes, each passenger needs their own authorization, other than children under age 2. You have to do it yourself...NCL does not do it.

The link to actually complete the form apparently has not yet been added to Bermuda's web page,

One note. There appears to be a conflict between Bermuda's instructions and NCL's . Bermuda says you can apply up to one month in advance of your cruise and then upload your test results later. NCL says to not complete the application until you have your test results. We'll have to wait and see which is correct, but my money is on Bermuda's instructions.

Edited by njhorseman

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

It appears that ncl has updated the information on its website to conform to the new rules.

I just want to say that I appreciate your contributions. We love Bermuda, but won't return until their restrictions are relaxed even more and this is headed in the right direction. 

32 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I just want to say that I appreciate your contributions. We love Bermuda, but won't return until their restrictions are relaxed even more and this is headed in the right direction. 

Thanks.

Other than having to shell out $40 per person for the travel authorization, at this point Bermuda's protocols aren't substantively different than what is required for cruising anywhere else...proof of vaccination and a negative antigen test. Once you're there you'll find other restrictions have largely been eliminated. 

• Like 1