I Don't Want to Miss My Cruise!

PC 462

24 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

One couple caught up to us a few ports later.  Saw them pulling their luggage on themselves and had a chat with them later.  

Us too...we have seen and spoken on board to people catching up in Key West, Juneau and other ports, and they went through a lot of trouble to do so.

18 hours ago, RuthC said:

Have you considered flying in a day or two early, while she flies in the day of? 
The day will come when she either cuts it way too close for her comfort, or misses the ship. While you are calm and cruising. 😁

Part of me wants to do that.  But, I think I'd rather be arm in arm with her watching our ship sail away than be waving to her from my balcony!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Our last HAL (4/2019) from San Diego, our departure was delayed for hours to wait for hundreds of passengers with flight delays. Nice gesture from HAL & no problem for us as we had boarded as early as possible and were delighted to be on board. Because of this experience, when departing from any other port (we live minutes from the San Diego port),  we arrive at least a day or more before we are scheduled to depart. 

@PC 462It's a risk I used to take (mostly due to the availability of flights using frequent flyer miles), but after boarding as the muster drill was being given 2 years in a row, we said "NEVER again!" On that last occasion, our luggage---and that of over 50 other cruisers---was delayed for about 3 days while we were out to sea in the Baltic. You just never know what might happen. It seems like every trip we have taken for the last 11 years has had at least 1 flight segment delayed or canceled. Although we have insurance, alternate flight options written down (which have come in handy many times!), and other backup protocols, to us it's no longer worth the nerve-wracking hassle of almost missing part of a cruise, especially when you wouldn't be able to board the following day. Lesson learned!

I wish you both the best!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, VTcruisenut said:

we usually stay at the Ramada By Wyndham Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise port 

it's clean, good priced, has a bar and restaurant and free shuttle from the airport.  You can buy the shuttle over to Port Everglades once you check in.  They fill up fast for pre-cruise.  Good luck!

That’s where we stay and will be there tomorrow night. Airport to room to pier 159 and change. Stayed there several times in past. Have also parked and cruised there also. Been several years since we done that.

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Aww...true love!

Sometimes "tough love" is necessary!  I share Ruth's opinion.  If DH were that stubborn, I would fly in the day before and hope that he makes it.  If not, his problem to figure out how to get to the first port.  Thankfully, DH is far more practical.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, syesmar said:

@PC 462It's a risk I used to take (mostly due to the availability of flights using frequent flyer miles), but after boarding as the muster drill was being given 2 years in a row, we said "NEVER again!" On that last occasion, our luggage---and that of over 50 other cruisers---was delayed for about 3 days while we were out to sea in the Baltic. You just never know what might happen. It seems like every trip we have taken for the last 11 years has had at least 1 flight segment delayed or canceled. Although we have insurance, alternate flight options written down (which have come in handy many times!), and other backup protocols, to us it's no longer worth the nerve-wracking hassle of almost missing part of a cruise, especially when you wouldn't be able to board the following day. Lesson learned!

I wish you both the best!

Sounds like you have had a stressful time of it the past 11 years!  I hope you've been having a much smoother and more relaxing time lately.  I'm hoping we can learn the lesson without attending the school of hard knocks.

And thanks for your good wishes!

Maybe you could alternate going in advance and going the day of. Or, make a rule something like number of hours of flight is the same day, but longer is go early.
Make an agreement so that it isn't a topic of 'discussion' every cruise. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PC 462 said:

…I hope you've been having a much smoother and more relaxing time lately.…

Thanks, yes, it’s been much more relaxing since we stopped flying in the day of! The 2nd incident in question was in 2012, and with every delay since (at least one flight segment per trip😃) we were so glad we gave ourselves extra time. I haven’t flown since the pandemic started—done land-based travel—but I’ve heard the current stories of delays.

I hope you all have a pleasant cruise!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1