Fire stick

go.without.you

Ok, I think we can all agree the TV stations on the cruise are pretty crappy. Unless you like 24/7 news or 2 ESPN channels. They used to have an HGTV like station but that was not the case when I was on Equinox in November.

Anyway, I digress. Has anyone ever used a Fire stick on the cabin tv? I'm just wondering if it would work. Would that count as one of your devices on the Wifi? Are you able to switch between the devices using the Wifi? Like say your phone and a tablet?

I'm not that technologically advanced so please be kind.

I know that some have plugged devices into ship TVs for watching movies and, perhaps, streaming through that device.  I have not heard specifically about a Fire Stick, though.  I also know that the option isn't available on all ships, and I believe E-class ships are among the ones that have no option for plugging anything in.

Regardless, I would imagine that a Fire Stick would count as a device, and I don't know how easily you could get it working with the ship wi-fi.

I don't typically turn on my TV once I'm on board, so I cannot give you much in the way of specifics, although I have spent a few minutes watching something on an iPad or laptop.

Going out on a limb here, but I dont think they'd want you connecting a firestick to the TV.  

The TV's have special controller boxes attached to them which connect to the inroom entertainment and information systems and you'd have to have access to the programming remote to change the input to your firestick.  I know some have been able to connect HDMI cables to the TV and then to their personal devices, and gotten that to work with the help of room Stewards or butlers, but I would guess firesticks are not permitted.  Good luck trying though! Let us know if you succeed.  I sometimes travel domestically with an Amazon Echo so I can have music (and Alexa) bedside, but I've never tried internationally. Bandwidth is key. 

I admit I'm a techno nerd from Silicon Valley and have always brought along a Roku.   I have a Firestick but really dislike their content filled main screens so seldom use it..

If you wish to try it, I would suggest you do some research on methods your device might use to authenticate your Celebrity Logon Credential .  

Simply -  Yes you can use the device and yes it will count as one of your Internet Devices.   You can connect to the Ships WiFi but then have to log into your account as stated above.   Depending on location that the ship internet is connected to you may also have difficulties with authenticate for apps like Netflix.   Celebrity has been pretty good at blocking VPN's

You can also switch between devices with your account but can only have one connected at a a time.   If you get bumped off internet you have to go through the account logon again when you wish to use.

• Thanks 1

Another challenge that I just remembered was getting power to your Roku or Fire stick.     Most of the TV's have a USB with power but it is only powered up when TV is on so every time you turn off TV you have to reconnect to the Internet.     At least is CS and above which we usually travel there aren't any power outlets nearby.  

We tried to follow Jim_Iain's advice about connecting a device on Summit in December.  We were almost there with our Firestick, cable connected to TV,  wifi found, but then realized we missed the part about a mini-router.  Purchased the mini-router before our January cruise on RCCL Allure and set up the Firestick with minimal issues.  It worked wonderfully and was nice to have to hear local news and late night programs to fall asleep by.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

For power I use one of those mini power packs.    It hold enough power for about 18 hours or more depending on size.

Jim, what particular power pack do you use? I am not familiar with them at all.

Something like this  -   They usually have 2-3 USB connections and sometimes a built in flashlight.   They are great to recharge your phone when on a long excursion also.

They come in a multitude of shapes sizes and capacity. 

image.thumb.png.101c8667f00f7a394f598947498a20bd.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Something like this  -   They usually have 2-3 USB connections and sometimes a built in flashlight.   They are great to recharge your phone when on a long excursion also.

They come in a multitude of shapes sizes and capacity. 

image.thumb.png.101c8667f00f7a394f598947498a20bd.png

I'm a huge fan of "multi-taskers", highly recommend buying one that can be used to prop up your phone too as really handy on a flight.  They obviously still have all the ports to power anything.

Top one for those with magnets and bottom one for those that don't:

image.png.5439357f8a1cd928c1caebaf6b92b68d.png

image.thumb.png.0bc99d69452c7e8738dedb4c6590af16.png

Edited by NutsAboutGolf