RAPID TEST booked for flight to US BUT no test kits avail.

abby1257

For my travel to Florida on March 24, I have booked my test for 6:00 pm on the 23rd...at Shoppers Drug Mart...so all good....I was speaking to a Walmart Pharmacist who said some people book their tests but when they show up....they have run out of test kits....WTH....He said I should be booking 2 appointments in case this happens....Has this happened to anyone else...I mean....the window is not very big....we have to have this test within 24 hours....I would have thought they would put those test kits aside for people who have booked an appt....I'm concerned.

Oh my gosh, thank you for that heads up! I am booked for a test with SDM on 17 March and then fly out that night, so i will definitely book another test just in case! Also just an FYI, i do see that Pearson Airport has on site testing available as well same price roughly, so that might be a good back up (depending on what airport you are flying from). You do have to book in advance, and there is a $10 fee if you cancel/refund. But just a thought. 

Edited by Labber 2
information

12 minutes ago, Labber 2 said:

Oh my gosh, thank you for that heads up! I am booked for a test with SDM on 17 March and then fly out that night, so i will definitely book another test just in case! Also just an FYI, i do see that Pearson Airport has on site testing available as well same price roughly, so that might be a good back up (depending on what airport you are flying from). You do have to book in advance, and there is a $10 fee if you cancel/refund. But just a thought. 

If I book test at pearson....(my flight leaves at 8:30 am)...so book test for 5 am....to be at the airport by 5 am (park car and shuttle to where the test is)...hmmm I guess I should to the night before and park myself at the airport....My daughter just went to Florida and she said they were at the airport 3 hours before flight and BARELY made the plane...the lineups at customs etc....CRAZY...she said for me to be there earlier than that...but to have a cover test also in that timeframe....ya...NOT

We booked our antigen tests for upcoming trip at the Switch Health testing facility at Pearson.  It is at a parking garage just outside the airport.  You can get tested and park at facility if you wish, but we found the parking rate expensive compared to other lots.  Once you get tested you get a token of some sort to let you back out without parking payment if you wish to go elsewhere.  As well, we talked to them and if you want a paper copy of the test results you can stick around for about 10-15 minutes and they will provide it.  You set up an account and we entered my wife as a dependant as per their instructions.  You go through the queue, both of us will be tested, and both results will be sent to my phone as I am the primary contact.  Again, if you wish to have a paper copy you can stick around.  We are trying to give ourselves 4 hours at the airport to insure we have sufficient time to get through security.  A lot of people have stated in other posts the 3 hours is cutting it close, but a fair # of those were in the morning.  Our flight is mid afternoon, but better safe than sorry with the 4 hours.  Good luck in your testing plan😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abby1257 said:

For my travel to Florida on March 24, I have booked my test for 6:00 pm on the 23rd...at Shoppers Drug Mart...so all good....I was speaking to a Walmart Pharmacist who said some people book their tests but when they show up....they have run out of test kits....WTH....He said I should be booking 2 appointments in case this happens....Has this happened to anyone else...I mean....the window is not very big....we have to have this test within 24 hours....I would have thought they would put those test kits aside for people who have booked an appt....I'm concerned.

How does the Pharmacist at Walmart know what happens at Shopper Drug Mart?  

Seems to me to be a very unnecessary concern given everything else one must worry about when travelling these days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, truckswain said:

Seems to me to be a very unnecessary concern given everything else one must worry about when travelling these days. 

The booking with SDM and the conversation with a Walmart pharmacist are two separate events. The pharmacist was speaking about Walmart, not SDM.

Actually, the concern is a very real one and is a perfect example of what can go wrong and why you need to have a Plan B. And probably a Plan C as well. Raising the potential issues is one of the major benefits of CC and this board, as it allows other members to be aware of them and take the necessary steps to avoid ruining our travel plans.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, truckswain said:

9 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The booking with SDM and the conversation with a Walmart pharmacist are two separate events. The pharmacist was speaking about Walmart, not SDM.

Actually, the concern is a very real one and is a perfect example of what can go wrong and why you need to have a Plan B. And probably a Plan C as well. Raising the potential issues is one of the major benefits of CC and this board, as it allows other members to be aware of them and take the necessary steps to avoid ruining our travel plans.

Thank you Fouremco....my thoughts exactly ....just need to figure out where to book the plan B

• Like 1

We have two appointments booked with two different Shoppers locations because of this exact reason.  Hopefully because we are the first appointment of the day we won't have problems.  But we have another appointment at a different shoppers 2 hours later just in case.  We are also cruising during March break so expect testing will be more in demand.

Fingers crossed!

And now praying we don't get sick.

23 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I must have missed the post or comments about appointments being cancelled for lack of tests at Walmart or SDM.  Musings of one pharmacist at one Walmart does not give me concern.

Raising potential issues is important but a differing opinion on the likelihood of such an issue happening is just as important.

42 minutes ago, truckswain said:

I must have missed the post or comments about appointments being cancelled for lack of tests at Walmart or SDM.  Musings of one pharmacist at one Walmart does not give me concern.

Raising potential issues is important but a differing opinion on the likelihood of such an issue happening is just as important.

I went to our local SDM to pick up one of the free tests and was informed that the shipment had been delayed. This is quite a common occurrence during the pandemic for most enterprises, including pharmacies. If you have an appointment booked but the test kits aren't delivered on schedule, you'll not be getting your test. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the statement of fact from the Walmart pharmacist as a singular event not worthy of concern.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I went to our local SDM to pick up one of the free tests and was informed that the shipment had been delayed. This is quite a common occurrence during the pandemic for most enterprises, including pharmacies. If you have an appointment booked but the test kits aren't delivered on schedule, you'll not be getting your test. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the statement of fact from the Walmart pharmacist as a singular event not worthy of concern.  

I wonder if you brought an unopened free test kit with you if they would use that if non were available 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, schiff1997 said:

I wonder if you brought an unopened free test kit with you if they would use that if non were available 

That's a good question. I don't know if the free test kit contents are the same as or compatible with the kits used by the pharmacies.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, schiff1997 said:

Good question.  Will ask next time I am at SDM. Fortunate to have a couple rapid test kits available and will bring them if SDM can use them.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fouremco said:

That's a good question. I don't know if the free test kit contents are the same as or compatible with the kits used by the pharmacies.

I know when I travelled in September the place I paid $70 to get a rapid test done used the exact same test I was using through work.  I had done one earlier in the day to make sure it didn't come up positive.  (not saying everyone does, it was just the exact same in this case).

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, RickT said:

Good question.  Will ask next time I am at SDM. Fortunate to have a couple rapid test kits available and will bring them if SDM can use them.  

I see you are in Halifax.  I did a quick search and it didnt' look like SDM or Costco was doing it in NS.  Just wondering if you found a spot and what the price is. Otherwise we may have to use Praxus. 

59 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I see you are in Halifax.  I did a quick search and it didnt' look like SDM or Costco was doing it in NS.  Just wondering if you found a spot and what the price is. Otherwise we may have to use Praxus. 

Shoppers is $40 and Rexall is $30.  I booked at Shoppers because the location works much better.  There are also a larger number of Shoppers near me so hopeful that in the event of any problems another Shoppers could help.

16 minutes ago, RickT said:

Shoppers is $40 and Rexall is $30.  I booked at Shoppers because the location works much better.  There are also a larger number of Shoppers near me so hopeful that in the event of any problems another Shoppers could help.

In Halifax?  I can't find it on the website. 

Edit - I found the problem.  It had my province as Ontario.  Even though I searched Halifax, it wouldn't show. 

Thanks!!!

Edited by 1kaper
  • Haha 1

Does anyone have experience with this provider?

I'm formulating a plan A, B, C scenario.

https://www.medionerx.com/virtualcare/?fbclid=IwAR24Pu6p1B-eR2tAJIkmdwIPlt4MndtGgEZ7Az6ScUfH6YSPgH-uA1GO8KA

Their Rapid Antigen test at locations range from $21.99 - $40.

Their prices in person and virtual seem reasonable.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 9:27 AM, ALD18 said:

We booked our antigen tests for upcoming trip at the Switch Health testing facility at Pearson.  It is at a parking garage just outside the airport.  You can get tested and park at facility if you wish, but we found the parking rate expensive compared to other lots.  Once you get tested you get a token of some sort to let you back out without parking payment if you wish to go elsewhere. 

Just in case you need the info.…

If you are going into the clinic they will not validate your parking ticket.  (Contrary to what I saw on their website.) I drove down to the drive-thru clinic and asked someone there.  They said they only validate drive-thru clients; not the walk-in clinic.  So I went inside to their main office and requested validation again.  I told the person there were no drive-thru appointments available and their website says they’ll validate if you have an appointment.  They validated the ticket and handed it back.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseamm said:

Does anyone have experience with this provider?

I'm formulating a plan A, B, C scenario.

https://www.medionerx.com/virtualcare/?fbclid=IwAR24Pu6p1B-eR2tAJIkmdwIPlt4MndtGgEZ7Az6ScUfH6YSPgH-uA1GO8KA

Their Rapid Antigen test at locations range from $21.99 - $40.

Their prices in person and virtual seem reasonable.

Thanks for this it is very interesting I am going to check them out.   We need a test to board the plane and then a test the next day to board Celebrity cruises.   I have the switch health ones to come home

17 minutes ago, schiff1997 said:

Thanks for this it is very interesting I am going to check them out.   We need a test to board the plane and then a test the next day to board Celebrity cruises.   I have the switch health ones to come home

Are test results to fly not also acceptable the next day for boarding?

• Like 2