scissors pocket knife

carywd

46 minutes ago, ray98 said:

This is crazy.  You can get a much better weapon than a small folding pocket knife from any eating venue on board at your convivence.

True.     I've crippled chair hogs before with sharpened chopsticks from the Asian restaurant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Apparently I was a bad girl and put my 3 in hair scissors in my makeup bag and they flagged me at check in.  I normally drop my suitcase off by the porters but this was a new port (Galveston) to me and I was dropped off right in front of the entrance.  So I took my suitcase with me and they ran it through the scanner and I was told to take it over to the table.  They confiscated the scissors and would not let me put them back into the suitcase and put it over with the porters.  I don't know if this is allowed per the contract.  My BF always packed his pocket knife and never had a problem.  Thanks for letting me vent.

4 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

Thanks for letting me vent.

We didn't let you vent, you vented on your own.  🙂

Joking aside though, the list of what is prohibited is listed in in the CCL FAQ's.  From other threads though it seems like enforcement is inconsistent.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

We didn't let you vent, you vented on your own.  🙂

Joking aside though, the list of what is prohibited is listed in in the CCL FAQ's.  From other threads though it seems like enforcement is inconsistent.

Enforcement may be inconsistent I suppose, but if you try to bring on something that is prohibited, you need to be prepared to lose the item and there's really nobody to blame but yourself when that happens.

• Like 1

I had my own tiny scissors confiscated a couple of cruises ago, after taking them for years with no problem.  Then on our next cruise, I forgot and had the replacement in my carryon.  No problem that time, went right through.  Very inconsistent, which doesn’t help us remember to put them only in checked luggage.

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor

They tried to take my electric shaver one time. Somehow that thing got turned on during embarkation process.  Security overkill on the scene,  You have a bomb in there?  You have a bomb in there?  🤨 

Another time security was using the magic wand on me when reboarding, then he just started jumping up and down pointing at my pockets, where I kept my waterproof plastic container stored with my hearing implant device.

Shouting in a language I overheard in a Bruce Lee movie, I said to myself "W .T. F". Looking at me with eyes wide as saucers, I pulled it out to show them. Thats when the laughter started.😂

Edited by BasicSailor

On 2/23/2022 at 8:44 AM, carywd said:

can you take a small pair of scissors or small pocket knife aboard

They typically follow TSA guidelines. I have a little 1inch knife/scissors/screwdriver/stripper on my keys that always gets through no problem--both flights and cruises. 

58 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

They typically follow TSA guidelines. I have a little 1inch knife/scissors/screwdriver/stripper on my keys that always gets through no problem--both flights and cruises. 

Except they don't. The security screening is not according to TSA rules nor conducted by a TSA employee.
 Read the FAQ and take a look at the link I posted on page 1 of this thread. Those are the new rules Carnival has put in place. I gave them a Swiss Army pocket knife from my key ring in November.

• Like 2

I carry a small pair of blunt tipped scissors in my checked luggage. It's for my husband to trim his mustache and both of us to use should we suddenly realize we need to trim a nose hair! Would hurt to pull out with tweezers, which are legal to carry on - although the small pair I carry in my purse could probably be used as a weapon. As could my small nail clippers with the pointed file attached. Use the clippers to cut off the zip ties we use to "lock" luggage. Also carry some bigger scissors just in case. In case what, I don't know. Also sewing kit with dangerous needles. And my purse could certainly be used as a weapon, swing that at someone and you could knock them out! And what about women with those long, sharp acrylic nails? Those could really do some damage.  I didn't realize the restrictions had been changed about knives and scissors - when was this done? Was any notification made about it? I've cruised for years and knew all the restrictions,  am I supposed to read all the restrictions every time I cruise in case changes are made? This has gotten out of hand. Like having to remove our shoes to go through security at an airport because years ago some terrorist tried to hide a bomb in his shoes? So did someone on a Carnival cruise stab someone recently with a small knife or pair of scissors, is this why all knives and scissors are now banned?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/24/2022 at 4:56 PM, ray98 said:

This is crazy.  You can get a much better weapon than a small folding pocket knife from any eating venue on board at your convivence.

Om a MSC ship a few years back, they removed from my luggage my leatherman took, with a note that I could retrieve on disembarkation.  Which I did.  But I was really tempted to sneak a steak knife out of the dining hall at some point.  So when they handed me back my leathermore tool, I could pull out the far more deadly steak knife and say "I found this in the dining room, I brought it here because I knew you would need to lock it up."

• Haha 3

On 2/23/2022 at 6:10 PM, BallFour4 said:

If you haven't checked the FAQ in a while you will find some changes. The 3" knife policy has changed. Here is the link: https://www.carnival.com/help?topicid=1202

Prohibited Items

• Any illegal narcotics/drugs including synthetic, designer drugs, Cannabidiol (CBD) and medical marijuana
  • All weapons and any item made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon: firearms (including replicas, imitations and their components), spears or spear guns, crossbows, crossbow bolts and long bow arrows; blunt weapons, including knuckle dusters, brass knuckles, clubs, coshes, batons, flails or Nunchaku; sharp pointed weapons, including throwing stars; air, BB, pellet pistols or rifles, stun devices and tasers, any projectile-weapon, including paintball guns, etc.
    • All items containing incapacitating substances, such as gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable
    • All ammunition
    • All explosives, including imitation explosives and devices
    • Fireworks, flares, pyrotechnics
    • Flammable substances and hazardous chemicals (e.g., petrol, methylated spirits, paint thinners)
      • Compressed gas tanks, bottles, cylinders including dive tanks, propane tanks and aerosol cans (Refer to Exemptions)
      • Alcohol (hard liquor) and beer
      • Wine or champagne beyond the allowable limit of one 750 ml bottle per adult (21 years of age or older)
      • Non-alcoholic beverages in containers other than a can or carton; excessive quantities per person (over 12 cans/cartons per person); excessive size per can/carton (over 12 ounces each)
      • Electrical and household appliances containing any kind of heating element, such as irons, clothes steamers, immersion heaters, heating blankets, water heaters, coffee machines, hot plates, toasters, heating pads, humidifier, etc. (All Carnival ships provide facilities with ironing boards and irons; fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)
      • Knives, scissors and open razors. (Recreational dive knives are allowed, but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise. Large scissors used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held on board in the same manner as dive knives.)
        • Handcuffs or other restraining devices
        • Self-balancing hover boards and air wheels
        • Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), communication scanners, wideband receivers, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers. 
        • Boom boxes/large radios
        • Candles and incense
        • Helium filled balloons 
        • Inflatable kiddie pool
        • Hookahs
        • Any footwear with wheels, such as, Heely’s type shoes
        • Kava  
        • Surfboards, boats and canoes 
        • Fish of any kind; if fish are caught during an excursion, they must be shipped home

What is considered an "open razor"? 

Yes lets try to look to TSA for logic where you can't bring a knife but you can bring 2 knives as long as they are held together by a screw.

Or we could use the logic of not wanting a cruise ship passenger to be armed with a knife yet they will be handed knives by staff several times throughout the cruise.

Sorry OP I know I didn't answer your question. Look to Carnivals web site for their rules.

4 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

Yes lets try to look to TSA for logic...

This policy stated from the Carnival FAQ on page one of this thread reflect the rules set by Carnival Cruise Lines. They have zero to do with TSA. They can, and do enforce the policy changed to reflect no knives or scissors. TSA isn't visible in the cruise terminal, the security screening is done by a private company. I'm not sure how to be more clear on the two points regarding Carnival changing the rules and private security. 

I contributed a Swiss Army tiny key ring size knife in November that had been on at least a dozen cruises on two different lines from here in Galveston. 

Edited by BallFour4

I guess this is so we can't highjack the ship, just like I couldn't take my P38 (A small folding army can opener) on an airplane for fear I'd highjack the plane??? I think we are getting a little carried away now days.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Moondogy said:

I guess this is so we can't highjack the ship, just like I couldn't take my P38 (A small folding army can opener) on an airplane for fear I'd highjack the plane??? I think we are getting a little carried away now days.

Not saying I agree with every policy, but wasn't the weapon of choice in the 9/11 attacks box cutters?