Captain

Jordanyaya1

6 minutes ago, downsmead said:

I have 😊, but not with him as Captain 😂. We were on the Princess 50th Anniversary cruise 🚢.

You were lucky to have met him in person.  It was sad to hear his passing at the age of 90.  I liked him.

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I don't want to speak for @Pinboy but I think he was just trying to add a little humor.  He tends to do that here on many posts.  Nothing malicious but maybe a bit snarky for some.😀

( Off topic )

Absolutely correct about the humor. 

IMO, a little humor , a few " tongue in cheek " ( never meant as malicious or intended to offend anyone  ) comments are much more fun ( interesting ) to read than:

LOL---" I was on Hold for 7 hrs ", or , " What cruise, cabin, etc should I spend my money on " , or , " Why was gelato removed as a perk " ? or, " My waiter, the bum, forgot to bring my 3 shrimp cocktails at the same time. Anyone else experience anything like that " ?

All in all,( for me ) Cruise Critic is an excellent site to learn about cruising and people.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2022 at 11:33 AM, TeeRick said:

I have not ever been able to find a comprehensive list of Masters/Captains of Celebrity cruise ships.  Just word on these boards of their whereabouts, except the ones on social media like Captain McCue who will likely be on BEYOND in June.

Okay, so I know we are looking for info on Celebrity. But as an example, there's a fairly comprehensive schedule of future officers on HAL--published inside a blog at their own website. Then there's a few *actual crew* (past & present) who are on these boards  and who seem to have this info at their fingertips, ready for the asking. Not so much help in this thread, perhaps, but there are also some external-to-CC sources. Keep poking around.

Edited by sofietucker
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, sofietucker said:

Okay, so I know we are looking for info on Celebrity. But as an example, there's a fairly comprehensive schedule of future officers on HAL--published inside a blog at their own website. Then there's a few *actual crew* (past & present) who are on these boards  and who seem to have this info at their fingertips, ready for the asking. Not so much help in this thread, perhaps, but there are also some external-to-CC sources. Keep poking around.

Yes I have no idea why this information would not be generally available for Celebrity - except for asking on these boards (ie, word of mouth).

After many cruises on many lines, I can't say that we have had a "bad" or "less desirable" captain.    While I would agree that being the "face of" the ship and crew is a small part of the job,  the primary goal is safe and successful navigation.  Some may be more personable than others, but all have safely accomplished the primary task, including the captain that navigated us through Hurricane Sandy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Yes I have no idea why this information would not be generally available for Celebrity - except for asking on these boards (ie, word of mouth).

My guess :

Not enough people really are interested in " Who's on Board " for Celebrity to continually up-date the information if/when changes occur. Last minute changes as an example.

It will eliminate " disappointed " ( upset ) passengers who booked expecting to meet up with Staff they met on previous cruises.

As for us---- On every cruise we recognize Staff members from pervious cruises and it's always fun to re-connect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pinboy said:

My guess :

Not enough people really are interested in " Who's on Board " for Celebrity to continually up-date the information if/when changes occur. Last minute changes as an example.

It will eliminate " disappointed " ( upset ) passengers who booked expecting to meet up with Staff they met on previous cruises.

As for us---- On every cruise we recognize Staff members from pervious cruises and it's always fun to re-connect. 

Or perhaps it is because the VAST VAST majority of cruisers could care less who the captain (or fill in the _________) is.  Captain should be doing his job, crew always wonderful, no matter who I have had, obviously some here feel differently, so this is just IMHO, of course.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Or perhaps it is because the VAST VAST majority of cruisers could care less who the captain (or fill in the _________) is.  Captain should be doing his job, crew always wonderful, no matter who I have had, obviously some here feel differently, so this is just IMHO, of course.  

Yes I fall into this VAST VAST category.  Honestly as I said before, I trust all Celebrity captains to be highly competent and nothing seems contrary to alter my opinion.  But there was the captain of Costa Concordia .......

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2022 at 11:21 AM, Pinboy said:

I better " tread on thin ice " here :

IMO- Just book any cruise you are interested in. Don't worry about " Who's On Board ", they are all qualified.

Again, IMO- If you book a cruise based on who the Captain, the Chief Engineer , your favorite waiter, bar tender or the Cruise Director is scheduled to be , please keep in mind that there could be personnel changes at any time prior to sailing. No use being disappointed if there are changes.

Go, enjoy , spend lots of money , and have a good time.

Mr. PB - If I Am sailing in the Iconic Suite, I want the Captain I want for My easily earned cash freely given to X for a certain sailing for a certain Captain...LOL

bon voyage

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Mr. PB - If I Am sailing in the Iconic Suite, I want the Captain I want for My easily earned cash freely given to X for a certain sailing for a certain Captain...LOL

bon voyage

If I Am sailing in the Iconic Suite.  The heck with the captain, I want Hazel taking good care of me, I tip early and often

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pinboy said:

I regret not getting to know any of the staff members on our 2019 Equinox cruise.  We didn't hang at any bar in particular and our Blu servers didn't make a strong impression for me to remember them 3 years later. . It's likely I won't recognize anyone on our Beyond sailing in October. 

Edited by mfs2k

8 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

If I Am sailing in the Iconic Suite.  The heck with the captain, I want Hazel taking good care of me, I tip early and often

I would be looking for Daniel Boulad to consult with me on our daily meals (B,L,D)... LOL

bon voyage

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, mfs2k said:

I regret not getting to know any of the staff members on our 2019 Equinox cruise.  We didn't hang at any bar in particular. It's likely I won't recognize anyone on our Beyond sailing in October. 

Not to worry, they may recognize you...

I know that I Am and I change ships almost every year or is it possible that X sends out my photo in advance that is on the 'DYKWIA' list.. LOL

bon voyage

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

Not to worry, they may recognize you...

I know that I Am and I change ships almost every year or is it possible that X sends out my photo in advance that is on the 'DYKWIA' list.. LOL

bon voyage

I am thinking there may be two reasons for this, Bo.  1. you are a very classy gentleman or 2. you are not a very classy gentleman, (I choose the former) but either way, a win win for you  🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

I am thinking there may be two reasons for this, Bo.  1. you are a very classy gentleman or 2. you are not a very classy gentleman, (I choose the former) but either way, a win win for you  🤣

l I Am both, at least here on CC.... LOL

I Am trying to reach up to your status level of respectability, for sure....

Thank you regardless.... 😎

bon voyage

8 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I regret not getting to know any of the staff members on our 2019 Equinox cruise.  We didn't hang at any bar in particular and our Blu servers didn't make a strong impression for me to remember them 3 years later. . It's likely I won't recognize anyone on our Beyond sailing in October. 

as long as you had great service is what really matters

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

l I Am both, at least here on CC.... LOL

I Am trying to reach up to your status level of respectability, for sure....

Thank you regardless.... 😎

bon voyage

I Am trying to reach up to your status level of respectability, for sure....Well you only need a step stool, no need for a ladder, think Rodney Dangerfield

Edited by LGW59
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I Am trying to reach up to your status level of respectability, for sure....Well you only need a step stool, no need for a ladder, think Rodney Dangerfield

Well, as short as I Am 5' 8.5", I would need quite a tall step stool to reach that level... LOL

bon voyage

2 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Actually, when I was a young woman, I had a fling with a very handsome Italian one. He was very capable and quite the Prince cess;-)

But, was he "capable" beyond being a captain???

Edited by LGW59
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

But, was he "capable" beyond being a captain???

Capable at both and this was prior to 911 and I was his stowaway 😉 How do you think I have had so many cruises LOL!

They did not call it the Love Boat without reason 😉

Edited by TrulyBlonde
  • Haha 1